Re: [TexasCzechs] Submissions to Czech Immigrant Database

  • Patrick Janis
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 11, 2000
      Susan has made a good point.  I hate to be picky, but to keep this database versitile and useful, we really need to stick to a strict format.  Always put the most important information first (i.e. on approximate dates like c. 1880, use 1880 c., this way it will get sorted with the other 1880's rather than with the c's. )

      We should reach 1000 by the end of this month at the rate we are going.  Maybe we should aim for 10,000 by the end of the year ;-)

      Patrick

      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 11, 2000
        Marie,

        Thanks for your question.  There are two ways to find information in the database.  The first is to do a sort.  Click on the heading of the column you would like to see the data sorted by.  The first time you click, it will sort it in ascending order.  If you click on it again, it will sort in descending order.  You may sort by any column.  This makes it useful for finding others who may have traveled on your ancestor's ship, or who immigrated during the same year, or who came from the same village.

        The second useful feature is the ability to do a search of the database.  The search box is on the top right hand corner of the database, just above the column headings.  Enter anything in the box and then click GO.  Only entries in the database that have the word you are searching for will appear.  This is particularly useful for searching for a woman by her married name.

        Keep sending in your data.  I wish we had more columns to capture more data, but we are limited to 10 for now.

        Patrick

        How do we sort that data base?  It took me forever just to figure out how to add entries.  I'm very slow at this computer stuff.

        Marie

      • richardgarza1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 11, 2000
          Marie,
          Just click on the headings of the database to have it sorted. If you
          want to view the list by villages of origin, click on the "Villages of
          Origin" heading and it will be done.

          Sharing. It's What It's All About!
          Rick Garza
          http://www.garza-zattler.homepage.com/

          On Tue, 11 Apr 2000 07:19:09 -0500 "Marie Neuman Gottfried"
          <mngottfried@...> writes:
          > How do we sort that data base? It took me forever just to figure out
          > how to add entries. I'm very slow at this computer stuff.
          >
          > Marie

          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.