Re: [TexasCzechs] How did they get here

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2008
      The one thing Cousin Pat taught me early on was the Census Information could be tricky.  Say if the family was not home when the taker came by a lot of time he would go to a neighbor or whoever transcribed the original a lot of times would put down the wrong year.  When you look at the original the writing can be hardly legible or faded.
      It is still a good place to start.  paulasmaggie
      From: tashaesch <TashaEsch@hotmail. com>
      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 11:40 AM

      I've been attempting to find immigration records on some family
      members. I've found a lot did not come through Ellis Island. Where
      did your family members get into the US?

      12c.

      Re: How did they get here?

      Posted by: "Lori" lajm10@yahoo. com   lajm10

      Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:08 am (PDT)

      My relatives came in through Galveston.

      I've been attempting to find immigration records on some family
      members. I've found a lot did not come through Ellis Island. Where
      did your family members get into the US?

      12d.

      Re: How did they get here?

      Posted by: "pfoster" pfosterbmt@sbcgloba l.net   paulasmaggie

      Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:25 am (PDT)

      Sir John is right. The Majority of Moravians and Czechs came from the Port of Bremen Germany to either New Orleans than Galveston or straight to Galveston. There were (I need help here) some that went through Indola???? that was destroyed by a hurricane losing most of its immigration records. paulasmaggie
[...]

      Checked by AVG.
      12e.

      Re: How did they get here?

      Posted by: "jpatrick" jlpatrick@austin. rr.com   joyce_patrick

      Wed Jul 2, 2008 11:52 am (PDT)

      That would be Indianola. It is/was south of Port Lavaca. Many went from there to the Victoria area,. For more information, try reading from the "Handbook of Texas". If you type in the name of Indianola or Port Lavaca, you will see some very interesting stories.
      JLP