Re: [TexasCzechs] Indianola - How did they get here?

  • Sara Ann Barton
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008

      You might want to take a look at this website for limited Indianola information http://vrhc.uhv.edu/manuscripts/indianola/home.cfm
      Sara Barton

      Indianola Immigrant Database

      Begun in 1994 as a project of the Victoria County Historical Commission, the Indianola Immigrant Database seeks to record the individuals and families that reached Texas through that ill-fated port on the Texas coast.

      Indianola, Texas was founded in 1846 as Indian Point by Sam Addision White and William M. Cook. A nearby stretch of beach had been chosen in 1844 by Carl, Prince of Solms Braunfels, as the landing place for German immigrants brought into Texas sponsored by the Adelsverein. The town grew rapidly, changing its name in 1849 to Indianola. Until the devastating hurricane of 1875, Indianola was the second busiest port in Texas. Although rebuilt, Indianola was again devastated by the hurricane of 1886. By 1887, the town was abandoned.

      With no official ships' passenger lists, the exact number of immigrants (although estimated in the thousands) passing through the port of Indianola is not known. The Indianola Immigrant Database is an effort to record Indianola immigration via family history, printed histories, and other sources.

      The Victoria Regional History Center was selected by the Victoria County Historical Commission as the repository of the Indianola Immigrant Database along with the printed resource material generated by the project. Information and family records sent in by contributors to the database is housed in the VRHC and is available to researchers. The database is available for searching on this web site.

      Browse the Indianola Immigrant Database by Name of the Immigrant

      Submit the name of an immigrant into the database

      Read more about Indianola from the Handbook of Texas

      Sir John is right.  The Majority of Moravians and Czechs came from the Port of Bremen Germany to either New Orleans than Galveston or straight to Galveston.  There were (I need help here) some that went through Indola???? that was destroyed by a hurricane losing most of its immigration records.  paulasmaggie
      From: tashaesch <TashaEsch@hotmail. com>
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] How did they get here?
      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 11:40 AM

      I've been attempting to find immigration records on some family
      members. I've found a lot did not come through Ellis Island. Where
      did your family members get into the US?

      Checked by AVG.

      Make all systems go with these great constipation treatments! Click now!

    • tashaesch
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
        Thank you all so much for your answers. That helps to point me in
        the right direction! I am so grateful to have this group as a
        resource to my silly questions!
        Tasha

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Sara Ann Barton" <sabarton@...>
        wrote:

        > You might want to take a look at this website for limited
        Indianola information
        http://vrhc.uhv.edu/manuscripts/indianola/home.cfm
        > Sara Barton
        > Indianola Immigrant Database
        > Begun in 1994 as a project of the Victoria County Historical
        Commission, the Indianola Immigrant Database seeks to record the
        individuals and families that reached Texas through that ill-fated
        port on the Texas coast.
        > Indianola, Texas was founded in 1846 as Indian Point by Sam
        Addision White and William M. Cook. A nearby stretch of beach had
        been chosen in 1844 by Carl, Prince of Solms Braunfels, as the
        landing place for German immigrants brought into Texas sponsored by
        the Adelsverein. The town grew rapidly, changing its name in 1849 to
        Indianola. Until the devastating hurricane of 1875, Indianola was
        the second busiest port in Texas. Although rebuilt, Indianola was
        again devastated by the hurricane of 1886. By 1887, the town was
        abandoned.
        > With no official ships' passenger lists, the exact number of
        immigrants (although estimated in the thousands) passing through the
        port of Indianola is not known. The Indianola Immigrant Database is
        an effort to record Indianola immigration via family history,
        printed histories, and other sources.
        > The Victoria Regional History Center was selected by the Victoria
        County Historical Commission as the repository of the Indianola
        Immigrant Database along with the printed resource material
        generated by the project. Information and family records sent in by
        contributors to the database is housed in the VRHC and is available
        to researchers. The database is available for searching on this web
        site.
        > Browse the Indianola Immigrant Database by Name of the Immigrant
        A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

        From: Sir John To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com Sent: Wednesday, July
        02, 2008 1:01 PMSubject: Re: [TexasCzechs] How did they get here?
        > TashaEsch,
        >
        > Believe you will find majority of immigrants from the Austrian
        Empire/Moravia, etc in the Texas and Oklahoma area came through
        ports on the Gulf of Mexico. The first US port the ship docked will
        be considered the Port of Entry.

        > My paternal gt-gdparents disembarked at Galvestion, TX 11-11-1880
        and they considered it was their Port of Entry. In personal search
        of the Galveston library, I learned Galvestion was not actually a US
        Port of Entry, but the Galveston newspaper would list the
        immigrants. From the library personel, I learned where the shsip
        first docked in the US was port of Entry. The ship kin on docked at
        New Orleans, then sailed to Galveston. Shore 'nuff, found kin
        listed in New Orleans Immiagration data.

        > Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
        > What good is information if not shared with others?

        7/2/2008 8:05 AM

        > Make all systems go with these great constipation treatments!
        Click now!

        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/Ioyw6i3nrCzGO2y2Jl7lSBlpl
        1e7Ny77O4pCM1EmgKe6vaL5f4uIzy/

      • darlenbaker@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
          Indianola is a my back door so to speak.  All thats left of it now is spit in the road.  Beach is washing away slowly.  Still big hit local folks.

          darlene baker

        • Regina Janak
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
            It is said to see the beaches there in Indianola, knowing how many people once came through that area.  It was at one time a very busy port, it even had its own court house.  To this day they say that if you go out into the bay where it once stood you can find part of the building down there.  The water has taken up much of the land.

            Indianola is a my back door so to speak.  All thats left of it now is spit in the road.  Beach is washing away slowly.  Still big hit local folks.

            darlene baker

          • jpatrick
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
              correct. If you see some of the old pictures of the area, you can see the old foundation. As for the LaSalle monument, it has been moved and turned, but the gulf is again lapping at his feet. I remember when there was 200 yards between him and the water     and picnic tables were set up for lots of fun, Yes it is sad. King Fisher Inc has put cement waste along the shore to slow it down, but the sea is relentless. What is the name of the store, Darlene, in P.L. that has all those very old pics from those days?
              Joyce P

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                The Spoonbill Gallery owned by Dean Johnstone in PL has many old pics of Calhoun Co.

                darlene baker

              • jpatrick
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                  Thanks Darlene. I knew you would know the name. Now others know too,
                  Joyce P

                  Checked by AVG.
                • pfoster

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                      I have in my possession the Shifting Sands of Calhoun Co 1981 pub.  There is more info at the library and at the museum.  I would have to check more.  I am sure that there are Historical markers about it.

                      darlene baker

                    • pfoster
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                        Darlene, Just curious.  paulasmaggie1
                        I have in my possession the Shifting Sands of Calhoun Co 1981 pub.  There is more info at the library and at the museum.  I would have to check more.  I am sure that there are Historical markers about it.

                        darlene baker

                        Checked by AVG.
                      • Nangotoo