How did they get here?

  • tashaesch
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2 9:40 AM
      I've been attempting to find immigration records on some family
      members. I've found a lot did not come through Ellis Island. Where
      did your family members get into the US?
    • Lori
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 2 11:01 AM
        My relatives came in through Galveston.

        I've been attempting to find immigration records on some family
        members. I've found a lot did not come through Ellis Island. Where
        did your family members get into the US?

      • Sir John
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 2 11:01 AM

          TashaEsch,

          Believe you will find majority of immigrants from the Austrian Empire/Moravia, etc in the Texas and Oklahoma area came through ports on the Gulf of Mexico.  The first US port the ship docked will be considered the Port of Entry.

          My paternal gt-gdparents disembarked at Galvestion, TX 11-11-1880 and they considered it was their Port of Entry.  In personal search of the Galveston library, I learned Galvestion was not actually a US Port of Entry, but the Galveston newspaper would list the immigrants.  From the library personel, I learned where the shsip first docked in the US was port of Entry.  The ship kin on docked at New Orleans, then sailed to Galveston.  Shore 'nuff, found kin listed in New Orleans Immiagration data.

          Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

          I've been attempting to find immigration records on some family
          members. I've found a lot did not come through Ellis Island. Where
          did your family members get into the US?

        • pfoster
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 2 11:25 AM
            Sir John is right.  The Majority of Moravians and Czechs came from the Port of Bremen Germany to either New Orleans than Galveston or straight to Galveston.  There were (I need help here) some that went through Indola???? that was destroyed by a hurricane losing most of its immigration records.  paulasmaggie
[...]

            Checked by AVG.
          • jpatrick
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 2 11:52 AM
              That would be Indianola. It is/was south of Port Lavaca. Many went from there to the Victoria area,. For more information, try reading from the "Handbook of Texas". If you type in the name of Indianola or Port Lavaca, you will see some very interesting stories.
              JLP
              Sir John is right.  The Majority of Moravians and Czechs came from the Port of Bremen Germany to either New Orleans than Galveston or straight to Galveston.  There were (I need help here) some that went through Indola???? that was destroyed by a hurricane losing most of its immigration records.  paulasmaggie
                Thank You, I just could not remember the spelling. paulas maggie
                That would be Indianola. It is/was south of Port Lavaca. Many went from there to the Victoria area,. For more information, try reading from the "Handbook of Texas". If you type in the name of Indianola or Port Lavaca, you will see some very interesting stories.
                JLP
                Sir John is right.  The Majority of Moravians and Czechs came from the Port of Bremen Germany to either New Orleans than Galveston or straight to Galveston.  There were (I need help here) some that went through Indola???? that was destroyed by a hurricane losing most of its immigration records.  paulasmaggie
                  Just about all of mine came in through Gav. Island and a couple in through New Orleans.  Many of the records of the Texas ports were destroyed in the 1900 hurricane, but they are being slowly reconstructed.  Have you tried asking the county that they settled in if they have any applications for citizenship or citizenship records for the family members?  That is another record(s) to look for.

                  Nan