Obit - Kenneth Meek

  • bmit1313@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2008

      Mr. Meek was a very important part of our church - First Christian Church El Campo - and will be greatly and sadly missed... he was the sweetest guy you would ever meet... I'm just glad he and Ethel are together once again.

      Buster

      KENNETH ALLEN MEEK

      EL CAMPO - Kenneth Allen Meek of El Campo died June 27, 2008 at the age of 88. He was born to the late Richard and Edith Allenson Meek on Dec. 29, 1919 in the Round Mott community near El Campo.
      He attended Round Mott School and graduated from El Campo High School in 1936. He attended Texas A&I University in Kingsville and graduated with a degree in engineering in 1940. Upon graduation, he enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corps. He served our country during WWII from 1942-1945, as a meteorologist, while stationed in England and France. He rose to the rank of captain in the 8th Air Force at his discharge.
      Upon his return to El Campo, Kenneth became a rice farmer, continuing in the tradition of his parents. He met and married his wife, Ethel Kuzell Meek, in 1946. They resided in El Campo their entire married lives of 59 years, upon her death in 2005. They had four sons: Gary, Alan, Dale and Brian.
      Church was an important part of Kenneth's life. He was a lifelong member of the First Christian Church and its second oldest member at the time of his death. At different times, he served as president of the church board, served on many committees as chairman and a member, taught Sunday school, and was a member of Christian Men's Fellowship. Kenneth was a board member of the Wharton County Electric Co-op for 13 years, including two years as president. He was a member of the Wharton County Farm Bureau and a member of the Farmer's Union. He was a member of the American Legion since 1946. Together with his wife, they were members of the Wharton County Czech Heritage Society.
      He and his wife traveled extensively in the United States, Europe, Canada and Mexico. He enjoyed horseback riding, hunting and reminiscing with his family and many friends.
      Kenneth was preceded in death by his wife Ethel; his parents; sister, Mildred Hafernick; and brothers, Donald and Robert Meek.
      He is survived by his sons: Gary; Alan and his wife Sharon and their children Alana Meek; Shawn Meek and wife Kaily; Dale; and Brian and his wife Janet and their children Michael Meek, Linnea Lindquist, and Lukas Lindquist.
      Visitation will begin at 11 a.m. Tuesday, July 1, 2008, at Triska Funeral Home. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday, July 2, 2008 at First Christian Church.
      In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to First Christian Church, Hospice El Campo, or charity of choice.

      Published in the Victoria Advocate on 6/30/2008.