Obit - Otto H. Schreiber

  • Matt Cross
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2008
      Victoria Advocate, 12 Apr 1976

      Otto H. Schreiber

      Advocate News Service

      SHINER – Otto H. Schreiber, 83, retired farmer, died at 4:30 p.m. Saturday at a nursing home in Yoakum.

      Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at United Dr. Martin Luther Church with the Rev. Clifford Grosenbacher officiating. Burial will be in Shiner City Cemetery under direction of Buffington Funeral Home.

      Survivors include a son, Gilbert E. of Shiner; three daughters, Mrs. Alfonse Mikes and Mrs. Frederick Schneider, both of Shiner, and Mrs. Weldon Spies of Houston; three sisters, Mrs. Fritz Albrecht of San Antonio, and Mrs. Paul Hinze and Mrs. Lillie Neubauer, both of Shiner; and four grandchildren.
      http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger_072008
    • gil
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2008
        My name is Gilbert Schreiber, Jr. Otto Herman Schreiber was my grandfather.
        There is an error in the Advocate survivors list. My dad's name was Gilbert
        P Schreiber, not Gilbert E. of Shiner. This isn't meant to be a rant, just
        thought I would get the correction out there before it got confusing.

        I have been able to trace the line back to Otto's mother and dad. His name
        was Frederick (Fritz) Schreiber and his wife was Bertha Bengsch Schreiber.
        I know that Frederick was born in Germany (Coswig? or Dansig?) on 8\31\1863.
        He came thru the port of Galveston 10/15/1871 (makes him a 7 year old boy at
        the time), was naturalized an American citizen on 11/4/1891. He married
        great granny Bertha on 1/2/1890. To this union were born 7 children: Emma,
        Otto, Herman, Arthur, Selma, Willie, and Ida. Great grandpa "Fritz" died
        9/5/1903 of (what they called stomach cancer). I'm not exactly sure what
        stomach cancer meant in 1903. Possibly a catch all name for things that
        weren't understood yet(ie, colon cancer, perforated ulcers, aneurisms, etc).

        If there is anyone on the list that can shed more information on Frederick
        or his family or who he was traveling with, I certainly would appreciate it.
        I would be happy to exchange what information I have. I haven't had much
        luck searching the immigration records in Galveston. A lot of the older
        records got destroyed during storms and such.