Death Certificates

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 30, 2008
      Kathy, The one thing Pat*Bernard, Myself and probably a lot of other people researching is the parents names can be misspelled especially the mothers can be along with shortening the name.  My GrGr Uncle Josef Mikus DC list the correct father Lukas Mikus, the Mother is listed as Rosie Urban.  Excuse me Rosie Urban was his wife.  His mother was Apolonia Valigura the daughter of my GrGr Uncle Pavel Valigura.  Since some form of Rosie is a family tradition name I had to recheck and make sure his mother was Apolonia Valigura. paulasmaggie
    • Kathy (Dlabay) Makiewicz
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 30, 2008
        Paula,

        I have several DC where I would get excited to get the "parents"
        names. Then I realized the informant put THEIR parent's names and not
        the parent's names of the deceased.

        I was so excited that I contacted my cousin that we had Frank Dubcak's
        parents names. Frank Jr put Frank Dubcak, Sr and Losis Fillip. Then
        it clicked. Frank, Jr's parents are Frank & Aloysia (Louise) Filip.
        Junior put his parent's names instead of his father's parents names.

        I still can't figure how Holubec became Martin.

        Kathy

        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "pfoster" <pfosterbmt@...> wrote:

        > Kathy, The one thing Pat*Bernard, Myself and probably a lot of other
        people researching is the parents names can be misspelled especially
        the mothers can be along with shortening the name. My GrGr Uncle
        Josef Mikus DC list the correct father Lukas Mikus, the Mother is
        listed as Rosie Urban. Excuse me Rosie Urban was his wife. His
        mother was Apolonia Valigura the daughter of my GrGr Uncle Pavel
        Valigura. Since some form of Rosie is a family tradition name I had
        to recheck and make sure his mother was Apolonia Valigura. paulasmaggie
      • Paula Foster
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 20, 2010
          On Family Search Site Death Certificates I have come across quite a few that says "temporarily unavailable" check back later.  Has anyone else have this problem?
          paulasmaggie
        • Elaine Malina
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 20, 2010
            Yes, I've noticed that.

            E. Malina

            On Family Search Site Death Certificates I have come across quite a few that says "temporarily unavailable" check back later.  Has anyone else have this problem?
            paulasmaggie

          • Robert and Nancy
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 20, 2010
              It has been happening to me for a couple of weeks or so.

              Nancy
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 20, 2010
                Yes, I noticed that earlier this week.

                Secondly, there was a post before the first of May about the Opava Archives having some of the records available for some of the different locations.  I checked and found my family villages and just looked at what was there.  I was in the process of going out of town and did not have time to research.

                This past week I opened the web page for "Opava Archives" and the large list of names of the villages were not available.   I e-mail the Family Search org. and they replied with the following statement.

                "Sometimes our collections are temporarily not available due to maintenance. Also, due to privacy laws, recent records may not be displayed."

                I just hope the second statement is not true.  The death certificates are a great help.  I have a feeling what might had happened as there are always "Some do Good-eer" out there to complain.

                I was surprise the Full Texas death certificate was available for the period of the early '70's. Several years ago one of the Texas state representative got a bill passed to change the time period; the Birth records were changed from 50 years to 75 years and the Death from 25 years to 50 years.

                TJ Slansky

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 21, 2010
                  TJ,  Thank You.  What is really frustrating is some of the DCS I have opened in the past and now are temporarily  unavailable.  I just hope that it is due to maintence not a "do-goodeer" complaining.  These DCS are a valuable tool.  They can give us information such as parents and where the person is buried.  paulasmaggie

                  On Family Search Site Death Certificates I have come across quite a few that says "temporarily unavailable" check back later.  Has anyone else have this problem?
                  paulasmaggie

                • Nangotoo
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 21, 2010
                    It happened to me, too, a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been able to bring up even one death certificate so far.
                    Nan

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 21, 2010

                      I started trying for death certificates not long after the board discussion that they were available and after several tries, have not been able to bring up even one of the certificates from my family lines on either side of my mom's family.  I thought it was something I wasn't doing right or I had the wrong place or something. I have tried several times, but keep getting the "not available" notice.  I would love to have some of those death certificates!

                      In the Opava records, in what district will I find Frenstat? I know that my records tell me that it is located in the Mistek Dist., but I tried that in the online records and didn't find Frenstat listed.  Is that one of the villages or am I looking in the wrong place?
                      Nan

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 21, 2010
                        I have noticed it for several weeks. Some days they are available, other days not. The DCs are extremely valuable information. I have found many DCs on family members that I could not piece together.

                        I registered on footnote.com as they had 'free' civil war records. Although it didn't help me much, I did see my Grandpa Zboril's BIRTH CERTIFICATE and an Uncle, who is still living. You must PAY to see them. And get this, their source for these birth certificates, familysearch!
                        Charlotte

                        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Nangotoo" <nangotoo@...> wrote:

                        > I started trying for death certificates not long after the board discussion that they were available and after several tries, have not been able to bring up even one of the certificates from my family lines on either side of my mom's family. I thought it was something I wasn't doing right or I had the wrong place or something. I have tried several times, but keep getting the "not available" notice. I would love to have some of those death certificates!
                        >
                        > In the Opava records, in what district will I find Frenstat? I know that my records tell me that it is located in the Mistek Dist., but I tried that in the online records and didn't find Frenstat listed. Is that one of the villages or am I looking in the wrong place?
                        > Nan
                        >

                        > TJ, Thank You. What is really frustrating is some of the DCS I have opened in the past and now are temporarily unavailable. I just hope that it is due to maintence not a "do-goodeer" complaining. These DCS are a valuable tool. They can give us information such as parents and where the person is buried. paulasmaggie

                      • Zdenek Malcik
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 21, 2010
                          Hi,

                          write only fren to "PLACE" in the searching window, don't remember clear the form before new searching ... http://matriky.archives.cz/matriky_lite/MenuBar.action
                          You should find 47 items for Frenstat.

                          Zdenek

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 21, 2010
                            Paula,

                            Before the Texas Death Certificates became available on Family Search, Myrna and I would go to the Dallas and Houston Texas Public Library and stop when ever were were traveling in the area to research the death records.  It was a slow process, you first had to find the county index information film roll and search for the cert. number and the roll number.  (if you did not know which county they were died in, you were out of luck) Than you would search the second roll for the given Certificate, you had the chose of writing the information or rewinding the roll and take it to another machine which was a copier.

                            Both of us working together we were lucky to find 3-4 certificates in an hour.

                            At the time, you were able only to view the records that were at least 50 years old.

                            Having them available at Family Search, where you came search, find and copy within a few minutes has been great.

                            We have been to at least 10 different country court houses (before Family Search) and the first thing they would tell you; " You can not see the current Death Records for  50 years." Most of the time the old records are in an open viewing area but later records are in another room.

                            In Texas, the Marriage records at the country court house are still open.

                            The many of you who subscribe to Ancestry, probably know Texas has the most Open records of any state.

                            The one's of you who have had research done in the Czech Republic know their records are "Closed" for the current 100 years, this happen in about 2004.

                            TJ Slansky

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 21, 2010
                              TJ, I just hope and think it has been about 6 months since they have took the site off and updated it.  It is about time they do it again.  I just hope it was not someone who caused a "fuss".  If this is the case, that will be wrong in my opinion.    Death Certificate helps not only connecting our past, but as in my case helps my Doctor by knowing the gentic links he is able to keep a watch on my health.  I guess what I am trying to say is when are people going to learn our past and future are linked.  We may not like to know that Aunt Mary was in a State Hospital and would not like everyone know, but if it was a genetic reason just think it may help Doctors save someone from our families to go through what she went through.  Just my opinion.  paulasmaggie

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 21, 2010

                                Thank you, Zdenek. That will be very helpful in getting me started. :-)
                                Nan

                              • FayeLee39@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 23, 2010
                                  FOLKS,  it appears that the Texas Death Certificate images are not going to be available on line from now on from Family Search.  What you were looking at for the past months was a Pilot program set up while they imaged all the Texas Death Certificates they could do.  They are now putting them into a LAB (BETA) and what you will be able to get is a compiled Index from Family Search on the Texas person you are looking for.  This index page is somewhat short of what is on the death certificate.  However they will let you see image if you become a Premier member and those members are either LDS members, or people who have contributed to Family search and those who will do work for them indexing archive material.  So you will have to work to see the image.........

                                  I did alot of looking around on the Family Search site, and located the above information........  I believe this is the jest of it all.  Doesn't make me too happy.

                                  the address is:  http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/

                                  Cullis

                                  TJ,  Thank You.  What is really frustrating is some of the DCS I have opened in the past and now are temporarily  unavailable.  I just hope that it is due to maintence not a "do-goodeer" complaining.  These DCS are a valuable tool.  They can give us information such as parents and where the person is buried.  paulasmaggie

                                  =
                                • Lois Petter Pereira
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 23, 2010
                                    I am back to working on my Orsak file. I have run across dc unavailable but yesterday I got a popup that said if not here try the beta which I did and they are there. Registration was free for me, It even says it's free, so I went on the signup to be sure and where it says lds i left it blank. Try it...lois
                                    Lois Petter Pereira