greetings from Czech Republic

  • Pavel Nepustil
    Message 1 of 23 , May 26, 2008
      Hi,

      I have come to Houston as a Fulbright research scholar in psychology
      10 days ago and I will be staying until September. I am thrilled about
      the fact that there is a group of people in Texas who tries to keep
      the Czech heritage alive. I thought that maybe I could be of some
      help? In Czech Republic, I live in Brno, but I was born in Nove Mesto
      na Morave and for some time I lived in Prachatice. In Houston, I live
      at Grace Lane. Also, if it would be possible to join some events you
      are organizing, I would be glad for that. So, good luck! Hodne stesti!
      Pavel
    • Matt Cross
      Message 2 of 23 , May 26, 2008
        At which university are you studying?

        Matt

        > To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
        > From: pnepustil@...
        > Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 02:11:25 +0000
        > Subject: [TexasCzechs] greetings from Czech Republic
        >
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have come to Houston as a Fulbright research scholar in psychology
        > 10 days ago and I will be staying until September. I am thrilled about
        > the fact that there is a group of people in Texas who tries to keep
        > the Czech heritage alive. I thought that maybe I could be of some
        > help? In Czech Republic, I live in Brno, but I was born in Nove Mesto
        > na Morave and for some time I lived in Prachatice. In Houston, I live
        > at Grace Lane. Also, if it would be possible to join some events you
        > are organizing, I would be glad for that. So, good luck! Hodne stesti!
        > Pavel

        > <*> Your email settings:
        > Individual Email | Traditional
        >
        > <*> To change settings online go to:
        > (Yahoo! ID required)
        >
        > <*> To change settings via email:
        > mailto:TexasCzechs-digest@yahoogroups.com
        > mailto:TexasCzechs-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Lydia Mousner
        Message 3 of 23 , May 26, 2008

          Welcome to Texas.  If you are still here in September, you might 'Czech' out the Kolache Festival in Caldwell, Burleson Co., TX.  It is in early September.

          Lydia

          Message 4 of 23 , May 26, 2008
            It is Houston Galvestone Institute, a site for psychotherapy, training
            and research. Small, but very innovative.

            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Matt Cross <lennonluv@...> wrote:

            > At which university are you studying?
            >
            > Matt
            > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=EML_WL_
            GreaterGood

          • Pavel Nepustil
            Message 5 of 23 , May 26, 2008
              Great, I would love to come. Leaving as late as 23rd of September.
              Thanks for the tip!

              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Lydia Mousner <lmousner@...> wrote:

              > Welcome to Texas.  If you are still here in September, you
              might 'Czech' out the Kolache Festival in Caldwell, Burleson Co.,
              TX.  It is in early September.
              > Lydia

            • Lydia Mousner
              Message 6 of 23 , May 27, 2008
                The festival is Sept. 13.  The website is http://www.burlesoncountytx.com/Kolache%20Pages/Kolache%20Festival.html

                Great, I would love to come. Leaving as late as 23rd of September.
                Thanks for the tip!

                --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, Lydia Mousner <lmousner@.. .> wrote:

                > Welcome to Texas.&nbsp; If you are still here in September, you
                might 'Czech' out the Kolache Festival in Caldwell, Burleson Co.,
                TX.&nbsp; It is in early September.
                > Lydia

              • Patricia Powell
                Message 7 of 23 , May 27, 2008
                  Pavel,

                  On June 13-15 we are having a huge event at the Institute of Texan Cultures in San Antonio which is about 200 miles from Houston.  It is called the Folklife Festival and it features people and groups from all over the world.  The event runs from Friday evening till Sunday evening.  We have a wonderful Czech booth and have won a first place ribbon for the last several years.  It is good fun and great friends coming together to celebrate our Czech history and other customs.

                  I'm sure you would enjoy the event and perhaps even learn a few things about other countries also.

                  Message 8 of 23 , May 27, 2008
                    Hi, Pavel! Try the Harris County Chapter of the Czech Heritage
                    Society (CHS). We have movies and meetings that you might enjoy--

                    Films are shown at the CHS library at 4117 Willowbend (not very far
                    from you), and the curtain goes up at 7:00 pm. There is no admission
                    charge for the film or for the popcorn. The films are in the Czech
                    language but are subtitled in English. Let me know if you need more
                    information.

                    May 28: BABICKA
                    Classic from the novel by Bozena Nemcova

                    August 27: O JECMINKOVI
                    Fairytale

                    September 24: KAFKA
                    Story by Franz Kafka filmed in Prague with dialog in English

                    Harris County Chapter Genealogy Workshop - July 20, 2008

                    We would love to have you join us! Best wishes, jana

                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Pavel Nepustil" <pnepustil@...>
                    wrote:

                    > It is Houston Galvestone Institute, a site for psychotherapy,
                    training
                    > and research. Small, but very innovative.
                    >

                    > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Matt Cross <lennonluv@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > At which university are you studying?
                    > >
                    > > Matt
                    > > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=EML_WL_
                    > GreaterGood

                  • Julie Matus
                    Message 9 of 23 , May 27, 2008
                      Greetings and welcome to our great state of Texas!  We hope to visit your country one day to see where our ancestors came from.  These are the names: Herzik from Jindrichov; Korenek from Hovezi/Novy Hrozenkov; Toman from Austria; Dybala from Moravia; Matus from Bratejov; Kubala from Frenstat; Grossman from Verovice; and Krenek from Bordovice.  We are trying to research what we can find on these folks.  Have you heard of any of these names?  Some of them are spelled a bit differently now since they've come to the US.  All settled in Texas.  I know it's impossible for you to know everybody, but there's always a slim chance you could know someone from these families.

                      Enjoy your stay here and good luck on your studies!
                      Julie & Wes Matus

                      Julie & Wes Matus

                      Researching:
                      Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                      Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

                    • livanec@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 27, 2008
                        Vitame Vas! Come by and visit the Czech Center Museum Houston located in the Museum District. The address is 4920 San Jacinto Street, Houston, Tx. The web site is www.czechcenter.org. I volunteer there every Friday. The Museum is open Monday through Saturday. 10 am - 4 pm.

                        Allen Livanec
                        Deer Park, TX.

                      • Michael & Judy Rice

                          Message 12 of 23 , May 27, 2008
                            Hello Allen,

                            the Czech Center Museum is quite near from the Houston Galveston
                            Institute (Mount Vernon st) where I study. I will come for sure, I am
                            just trying to bring someone from the Institute with me. See you then,
                            Pavel
                          • Pavel Nepustil
                            Message 13 of 23 , May 27, 2008
                              Dear Julie and Wes,

                              unfortunately I do not have any friends or relatives in the
                              towns/villages you are mentioning. Toman is very common name in Czech
                              - but you write he is from Austria? I am forwarding the names to my
                              parents, maybe they will have more ideas... thanks fro writing me,

                              Pavel

                              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Matus" <juwemat@...> wrote:

                              > Greetings and welcome to our great state of Texas! We hope to visit
                              your country one day to see where our ancestors came from. These are
                              the names: Herzik from Jindrichov; Korenek from Hovezi/Novy Hrozenkov;
                              Toman from Austria; Dybala from Moravia; Matus from Bratejov; Kubala
                              from Frenstat; Grossman from Verovice; and Krenek from Bordovice. We
                              are trying to research what we can find on these folks. Have you
                              heard of any of these names? Some of them are spelled a bit
                              differently now since they've come to the US. All settled in Texas.
                              I know it's impossible for you to know everybody, but there's always a
                              slim chance you could know someone from these families.

                              > Enjoy your stay here and good luck on your studies!
                              > Julie & Wes Matus
                              >
                              > Julie & Wes Matus
                              >
                              > Researching:
                              > Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                              > Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

                            • Pavel Nepustil
                              Message 14 of 23 , May 27, 2008
                                Hi Jana,

                                the Czech Heritage Society sounds great. Since tomorrow I already have
                                a program for evening, I would like to come to Jecminek. I will let
                                you know...

                                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

                                > Hi, Pavel! Try the Harris County Chapter of the Czech Heritage
                                > Society (CHS). We have movies and meetings that you might enjoy--
                                >
                                > Films are shown at the CHS library at 4117 Willowbend (not very far
                                > from you), and the curtain goes up at 7:00 pm. There is no admission
                                > charge for the film or for the popcorn. The films are in the Czech
                                > language but are subtitled in English. Let me know if you need more
                                > information.
                                >
                                > May 28: BABICKA
                                > Classic from the novel by Bozena Nemcova
                                >
                                > August 27: O JECMINKOVI
                                > Fairytale
                                >
                                > September 24: KAFKA
                                > Story by Franz Kafka filmed in Prague with dialog in English
                                >
                                > Harris County Chapter Genealogy Workshop - July 20, 2008
                                >
                                > We would love to have you join us! Best wishes, jana
                                >

                                > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Pavel Nepustil" <pnepustil@>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > It is Houston Galvestone Institute, a site for psychotherapy,
                                > training
                                > > and research. Small, but very innovative.
                                > >

                                > > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Matt Cross <lennonluv@> wrote:
                                > > >

                                > > > At which university are you studying?
                                > > >
                                > > > Matt
                                > > > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/Default.aspx?source=EML_WL_
                                > > GreaterGood

                              • Pavel Nepustil
                                Message 15 of 23 , May 27, 2008
                                  Unfortunately, I am leaving right on 13th of June to Mexico and, by
                                  chance, from San Antonio. So I will miss this event...
                                • Julie Matus
                                  Message 16 of 23 , May 28, 2008
                                    Pavel, thank you so much for replying! The Toman family we have very little on and maybe whoever put that down did not know for sure either.  That is why they are very hard to trace back. Thanks.
                                    Julie

                                    Julie & Wes Matus

                                    Researching:
                                    Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                                    Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

                                    unfortunately I do not have any friends or relatives in the
                                    towns/villages you are mentioning. Toman is very common name in Czech
                                    - but you write he is from Austria? I am forwarding the names to my
                                    parents, maybe they will have more ideas... thanks fro writing me,

                                    Pavel

                                    --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "Julie Matus" <juwemat@... > wrote:

                                    > Greetings and welcome to our great state of Texas! We hope to visit
                                    your country one day to see where our ancestors came from. These are
                                    the names: Herzik from Jindrichov; Korenek from Hovezi/Novy Hrozenkov;
                                    Toman from Austria; Dybala from Moravia; Matus from Bratejov; Kubala
                                    from Frenstat; Grossman from Verovice; and Krenek from Bordovice. We
                                    are trying to research what we can find on these folks. Have you
                                    heard of any of these names? Some of them are spelled a bit
                                    differently now since they've come to the US. All settled in Texas.
                                    I know it's impossible for you to know everybody, but there's always a
                                    slim chance you could know someone from these families.

                                    > Enjoy your stay here and good luck on your studies!
                                    > Julie & Wes Matus
                                    >
                                    > Julie & Wes Matus
                                    >
                                    > Researching:
                                    > Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                                    > Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

                                  • Matt Cross
                                    Message 17 of 23 , May 28, 2008
                                      It could also be because, technically, Czechoslovakia did not exist until 1918.

                                      Matt

                                      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com

                                      unfortunately I do not have any friends or relatives in the
                                      towns/villages you are mentioning. Toman is very common name in Czech
                                      - but you write he is from Austria? I am forwarding the names to my
                                      parents, maybe they will have more ideas... thanks fro writing me,

                                      Pavel

                                      --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "Julie Matus" <juwemat@... > wrote:

                                      > Greetings and welcome to our great state of Texas! We hope to visit
                                      your country one day to see where our ancestors came from. These are
                                      the names: Herzik from Jindrichov; Korenek from Hovezi/Novy Hrozenkov;
                                      Toman from Austria; Dybala from Moravia; Matus from Bratejov; Kubala
                                      from Frenstat; Grossman from Verovice; and Krenek from Bordovice. We
                                      are trying to research what we can find on these folks. Have you
                                      heard of any of these names? Some of them are spelled a bit
                                      differently now since they've come to the US. All settled in Texas.
                                      I know it's impossible for you to know everybody, but there's always a
                                      slim chance you could know someone from these families.

                                      > Enjoy your stay here and good luck on your studies!
                                      > Julie & Wes Matus
                                      >
                                      > Julie & Wes Matus
                                      >
                                      > Researching:
                                      > Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                                      > Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

                                      Keep your kids safer online with Windows Live Family Safety. Help protect your kids.
                                    • paulasmaggie
                                      Message 18 of 23 , May 28, 2008
                                        wrote:

                                        > Hello Allen,
                                        >
                                        > the Czech Center Museum is quite near from the Houston Galveston
                                        > Institute (Mount Vernon st) where I study. I will come for sure, I am
                                        > just trying to bring someone from the Institute with me. See you then,
                                        > Pavel

                                        Welcome to Texas, Pavel. I hope you are enjoying your stay.
                                        My Gr Grandfather Joseph Becvar and his brother Vaclav Becvar who were
                                        both coal miners came from Turnay Village, Proper Cechy 1 of 3 states.
                                        This was the way my cousin Frank wrote it. Do you know where this is
                                        located in the Czech Republic? On my Grandmamma side (my Grandparents
                                        raised me) they came from Novy Hrozenkov Moravia. They were the
                                        Valiguras, Shupaks/Supaks, Orsaks, Urbans, Mareks, Kortis, Mikus and
                                        many more. Have you been to their village? paulasmaggie1

                                      • Julie Matus
                                        Message 19 of 23 , May 28, 2008
                                          Very true Matt.  On the 1880 Census, it looked like Moravia, Austria was written in as the place of birth.

                                          To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com

                                          unfortunately I do not have any friends or relatives in the
                                          towns/villages you are mentioning. Toman is very common name in Czech
                                          - but you write he is from Austria? I am forwarding the names to my
                                          parents, maybe they will have more ideas... thanks fro writing me,

                                          Pavel

                                          --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "Julie Matus" <juwemat@... > wrote:

                                          > Greetings and welcome to our great state of Texas! We hope to visit
                                          your country one day to see where our ancestors came from. These are
                                          the names: Herzik from Jindrichov; Korenek from Hovezi/Novy Hrozenkov;
                                          Toman from Austria; Dybala from Moravia; Matus from Bratejov; Kubala
                                          from Frenstat; Grossman from Verovice; and Krenek from Bordovice. We
                                          are trying to research what we can find on these folks. Have you
                                          heard of any of these names? Some of them are spelled a bit
                                          differently now since they've come to the US. All settled in Texas.
                                          I know it's impossible for you to know everybody, but there's always a
                                          slim chance you could know someone from these families.

                                          > Enjoy your stay here and good luck on your studies!
                                          > Julie & Wes Matus
                                          >
                                          > Julie & Wes Matus
                                          >
                                          > Researching:
                                          > Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
                                          > Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

                                        • Sir John
                                          Message 20 of 23 , May 28, 2008
                                            Pavel,

                                            Welcome to Texas and your studies go well.

                                            A great Czech group starting out in Texas and now has members pretty well world wide, is Texas Czech Heritage Society.  The Czech Library mentioned having Czech Films is part of the CHS group.  They have about 11 groups in different towns in Texas, a great one is in Houston, TX.  Attached is the URL for the CHS  (Czech Heritage Society) at:

                                            Czech the web site - lot of information, especially in the menu located on the left side of the screen.  Many links to the Czech Republic, Prague, phone books, etc there.  A link to the Prague newspaper for daily English version of the newspaper is listed, but I now find it does not come up when clicked on it.  I believe a charge is now required to obtains this newsletter. I used to get it daily for a few years and seem to recall someone messaging me to subscribe for the newspaper, then I no longer received the newsletter.

                                            A link is listed for the CHS Library and day open.  Believe if you will call and leave a message, if no one there at the time, you will receive a return call form the library of one helpful members, several of them.  I believe if you attended one of the CHS Houston group meetings you will find many wonderful members to talk with.  Might even obtain a ride to a meeting! ! !  I would offer a ride, but live in Beaumont, TX - 89 miles west of Houston on Interstate 10.  I attended a few meeting in the past years but health reasons curtailed the visits and now fuel prices enter into slowing traveling. <G>  We Americans now realize what the Europeans have suffered for years with high fuel prices, other than we just HAVE to have huge poor gas mileage vehicles where Europeans buy fuel efficient vehicles.  <G>

                                            Again, welcome to the US and Texas.  I hope to meet you before you return to the CR.

                                            Sir John

                                          • jpatrick
                                            Message 21 of 23 , May 28, 2008
                                              Sir John, did you get your directions mixed up or did you move Beaumont. I relize it maybe should  be somewhere else, considering the "cajun" population.. (haha).George's Joyce
[...]

                                              Checked by AVG.
                                            • Sir John
                                              Message 22 of 23 , May 28, 2008
                                                Joyce,

                                                Glad you caught my error.  Pavel, Beaumont is East of Houston!  Heck, it's more trouble than many realize when you get older and don't know which which is east or west directions.

                                                Sir John
                                                jpatrick <jlpatrick@...> wrote:
[...]

                                                Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                                              • Pavel Nepustil
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Jun 1, 2008
                                                  Dear Sir John,

                                                  thank you very much for nice invitation. I have already searched the Czech Heritage Society website, I think it was the starting point I got from to this yahoo group.

                                                  I must finalize something for my study in June and also, I leave to Mexico on 13th of June, so I will connect with CHS after I arrive, I think it would be really interesting for me.

                                                  Thanks once again,

                                                  best regards