[TexasCzechs] chicken and rice receipe and other foods

  • Julie Matus
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2008
      Nothing tastes better than one of those fryers we raised on the farm!  I don't care what kind of recipe I use now, it's just not the same chicken!  The fryers we buy in the stores are so big.  Longer ago, after I got married, we used to be able to buy fryers that were on ice in the meat counter, now those are very very expensive in our stores.  Butchering the fryers was a family project.  As was butchering a hog in the winter time.  That was the time my cousin could ride the bus home with me when her mom and dad were helping mine.  Then I rode the bus to her house when they were butchering their hog.  And we did not need any notes to let us ride each others' bus!  Everybody knew everybody.

      I baked some klobasniky and prune, apricot and pineapple kolaches yesterday.  I'm trying to keep some of the Czech traditions going.  We still try to grow vegetables in the garden, providing the weather cooperates.  We had 5 inches of rain in Spring Monday, so our green beans are not going to make it.  We ate our first yellow squash and zucchini for supper yesterday - yummy!

      Saturday my husband and I went to a Polish festival in Houston.  They had a group from Chicago performing some Polish songs and dances, Polish foods, beer, polka and waltz dancing - was a really nice festival.  Each ethnic group is proud of their heritage, as they should be and it's kind of interesting to experience the different traditions and cultures.

      later, Julie

      Julie & Wes Matus

      Researching:
      Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
      Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek
      From: pfoster <pfosterbmt@sbcgloba l.net>
      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      From: pfoster <pfosterbmt@sbcgloba l.net>
      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, May 6, 2008, 10:07 AM

      Thank you, Matt.  If I used Soup in it I swear Grandmamma would be standing at the foot of my bed shaking her head.
      paulasmaggie