Re: [TexasCzechs] chicken and rice receipe

  • Nangotoo
    Message 1 of 29 , May 8, 2008
      Also, put in some shredded cabbage in any meat and vegie soup.  My French Canadian grandma told us that it makes the difference and it really does.  I don't know what the combo of cabbage and celery in a soup does, but it really influences the broth and makes the flavor of broth soup.  When I've left it out because I didn't have any cabbage, the broth tasted like something was missing.  Of course, we use all of the other things youall have already mentioned.   I've never liked noodles in my soup, but I do like rice in it.  Jewish Pencillin isn't the noodles, its the warm chicken broth.  Also be sure to add some bay leaves and take them out before serving.  That's the secret in Jewish chicken noodle soup. All that the noodles do in any soup, Jewish or otherwise, is to stretch the soup--just like rice does.  That way, you will always have enough soup in case people drop by at the last minute--which happened a lot at our ranch.  We rarely knew when we started a meal how many people extra would be sitting down to eat it so I still have trouble making small, family-sized meals for just the three of us (one of our boys is still at home).

      Nan

      I heard the onions and celery in with the chicken to boil. I didn't hear anyone say GARLIC and CARROTS( I toss in a whole sack of baby carrots). When done, take out the chick and use a potato masher to mash up the veggies then add the deboned chicken and rice. Simmer to supremacy. It'll never be Granny's on that wood stove with her garden veggies, but it'll do. Especially when little ones have a cold. We've all heard of "Jewish Penicillin" (noodle soup), well, I tell people that is my "Czech penicillin".

      Message 2 of 29 , May 8, 2008
        Funny that you should say that.  My mom did the same thing with my dad's mom while she was alive.  Mom wanted to make my Grandma's fantastic vegetable beef soup.  Ohhh, it was good!  My mom makes good vegie beef soup, but not like Grandma's.  Mom stood over Grandma and took notes while she was making it--several times, she took her to the store to get the ingreds., etc. The same thing you did with your mom. It NEVER tasted like Grandma's no matter what Mom did.  To this day, it still frustrates Mom to talk about it.  The same thing with Grandma's delicious oatmeal raisin cookies.  I followed grandma's recipe that my mom wrote down for years, tried tweaking it one way or the other and they never came out the same.  Then I tried every oatmeal raisin cookie recipe that sounded like it should bake up right.  FINALLY, many years later and so many recipes behind me,  I found a recipe that was close and I tweaked it just enough and it tastes almost the same as Grandma's cookies. I called my mom even before the cookies cooled and told her that I got it finally, but the recipe is not the same as Grandma's. My mom had written down the recipe as my Grandma was making those cookies and it didn't work for anyone except Grandma.  Magic? I don't know, but I have one that is almost as good as Grandma's.  Maybe when I get some grandchildren, they will taste like Grandma's, huh?   The soup?  Well, we found that if we threw things in that Grandma did and made it with love, its good--especially after it sits in the refrigerator covered for a couple of days.  It isn't Grandma's, but we like it.  My mom is a great cook. She's from TX and is a Moravian.  Maybe you have to be French from Canada to make soup exactly like Grandma's.  haha

        Nan

        I'm in the same boat - except I'm trying to duplicate my Mama's.  Ain't never gonna happen.  When she was alive, I actually took her to the store, let her pick the ingredients and then we went back to her house and I made it in her kitchen.  I used her pots and utensils and I'll be danged if it STILL didn't taste like hers!!!!! ARGHHHH!!!

        So now I make it my way - it's not Mama's but it's still pretty good. Good luck!

        Anita Prazak
        Pampered Chef Consultant
        979/200-9105
        chefanita@classicne t.net
        www.pamperedchef. biz/chefanita1
        Orders can be placed on my website 24 hours a day - 7 days a week! Perfect for yourself or that last minute gift! You'll also find recipes and specials so be sure to add my website to your list of favorites and check back often!

        Take 10 Minutes to Check Us Out!

        Call our OPPORTUNITY LINE listen to a recorded message about The Pampered Chef and the possibilities that await you.

        Call (866) 837-8032, then enter code 1095577

      • Mary Ann Wisian
        Message 3 of 29 , May 8, 2008
          When I was little, my Mom fixed that meal for dinner and later on that evening my Dad would go in and put leftover cornbread in a glass and add buttermilk or milk to it and eat it with a spoon, like it was his special little treat.  He loved it!

          I'm with you there.  I used to have a cast iron stomach and digestive system.  I enjoyed hot and spicy foods.  Now it makes me kinda sick even thinking of trying to eat that kind of food.  Why is it that some people can eat whatever they want for their whole lives and others of us spend a ridiculous amount of time paying for what we do eat?  My very favorite food used to be good ol' Texas butter beans and ham hocks with warm, fresh-from the-oven buttermilk cornbread w/ lots of butter.  Now I just call that meal "a form of suicide".  I still mourn that meal after all of these years.  LOL!  I wouldn't DARE eat beans or pork now.

          Nan

          Message 4 of 29 , May 8, 2008
            For chicken, I was taught bay leaf and rosemary when you are boiling chicken.  It takes the bad smell out of the air and gives the chicken a good taste.  My mom uses those all the time.

            Nan

            If you don't like the flavor of sage you could just use parsley, rosemary, and thyme, and pepper.    You might try onions and/or garlic.

            I don't know if any of these are Czech ingredients, understand.   I believe that the Czechs are who took the spice and the flavor out of djuvec.

            Yours,
            Dora Smith
            Austin, TX
            tiggernut24@ yahoo.com

            From: pfoster <pfosterbmt@sbcgloba l.net>
            To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
            Date: Tuesday, May 6, 2008, 10:07 AM

            Thank you, Matt.  If Iused Soup in it I swear Grandmamma would be standing at the foot of my bed shaking her head.
            paulasmaggie
            Although I don't consider it Czech, usually when I make a chicken and rice casserole, I use cream of celery and/or cream of mushroom soup. That could be your missing ingredient.

            Matt

            > To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
            > From: pfosterbmt@sbcgloba l.net
            > Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 14:49:07 +0000
            > Subject: [TexasCzechs] chicken and rice receipe
            >
            > Does anyone have a chicken and rice receipe? I have tried and tried to
            > make it. I boil the chicken with salt, pepper, onions and celery then
            > simmer. It is still lacking something, maybe my Grandmammas Touch.
            > Help!!!!paulasmaggi e

            With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.

            Checked by AVG.

            Checked by AVG.

            Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
            Checked by AVG.
          • Nangotoo
            Message 5 of 29 , May 8, 2008

              One of my favorite comfort meals was one my mom taught us.  Fresh, HOT mashed potatoes with chopped bacon and chopped green onions in it.  Put that in a bowl and poor cold, fresh buttermilk all over the potatoes--lots of buttermilk and eat.  My dad wasn't a fan, so we "girls" would eat it when he was working late.  Oh, my gosh that was good!  My mom can no longer eat potatoes of any kind (they give her migraines now), and none of us can eat pork bacon.  Besides the potatoes are one of those foods that can cause problems as most of us older adults know.  Sigh

              How about the rest of you--what are or were your favorite foods?

              Nan

              Message 6 of 29 , May 8, 2008

                My dad loved cornbread and milk too.  but as far as comfort food go. I have a long list.

                I loved Sunday dinners when we were kids, mom always baked fresh bread,  with homemade butter, you can't get much more comfort then that., but I loved her chicken and dumplings, chicken noodle soup w/ homemade noodles, and the roast she would make with veggies and a rich tomato gravy to die for, but you can not forget her homemade cinnamon rolls, I have her recipe as close as you can get w/her not using one, these were tender, big and wonderful.  my mom was a awesome cook, she could bake anything, her home made biscuits were something else, I tried and tried to imitate and got real close, then gave up and use bisquik mix, but everything else I can do pretty good.  With 2 sisters, 4 brothers their spouses and kids, it is quite a house full now when I make mom's favorites.

                Message 7 of 29 , May 8, 2008
                  Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles and prune and poppyseed Kolaches.    My Grandmamma made a lot of soup and kolaches.  It was the best medicine when you were sick or down in the "blues".  If close my eyes I can still see he sitting at the kitchen table making homemade noodles and telling me how to straighten out my life when I was 20 and living on my own.  I lived in Houston and she lived in Caldwell, but that woman knew everytime I drank a Shiner or a bottle of BoonsFarm, or stayed out late.  How she knew, all I can say is she must have had Gods ear, because I never told her anything.  paulasmaggie

                  Message 8 of 29 , May 8, 2008
                    I know how you felt.  When I was even too old to know better, I used to part my mom's hair just to make sure she didn't have tiny little telescoping, wide angle eyes in back of her head after all.  We all used to swear that our 10th grade typing teacher had eyes all over her head.  Used to freak all of us out how she knew we weren't typing our exercises, but had gone on to typing a note to someone.  Of course, NOW I know how she knew (diifferent rhythm), but it was freaky how she would quietly come up alongside a student who was off task and get them back on task really fast.  It was wierd and every 10 grader talked about it because most of us took typing in 10th grade--boys and girls. The strange thing about it was how we never figured it out and we were supposed to be intelligent kids.

                    Nan