Re: : [TexasCzechs] Viva Cinco de Mayo - Happy Fifth of May

  • Nangotoo
    Message 1 of 3 , May 8, 2008
      Judy,

      I do believe that March 6th is the day of the Alamo.  My mom was so happy when my youngest sister was born on March 6th.  My mom's hometown is Gonzales, TX, the town where many of the men who fought and died at the Alamo were from and where their small army was brought together and marched to San Antonio from.  Before I knew anything about CA history, I was taught about the Alamo and its brave men.  Its always made me proud that my mom is from Gonzales.  In later years, I learned about the Runaway Scrape and how many Gonzales families left it and burned the town down so it wouldn't fall into Santa Ana's hands.  When I saw the Come and Take It cannon after it was found buried and I was an adult, I had to laugh.  From the stories I was told when we would go back to Gonzales in the summer to visit, I thought that cannon must have been a monster.  I could just imagine how hard it must have been to hurriedly bury that big gun.  Then I saw it after they found it.  hahahahahaha  Many old pistols are bigger than that cannon!   Every time I see a picture of it, I laugh about what I thought it looked like compared to reality.  But those people of that town and the towns closeby sure were brave------ and stubborn.   Especially those women.  Now I know where my mom gets her personality!  Everyone in the US should be told those stories of Texas Independence. It was spoon fed to me our here in CA.  Because of the battle in TX, CA got its independence in 1850.

      Nan

      Can we start promoting April 21st and March 6th instead??

      For those that do not know, April 21 is the anniversary of the Battle of San Jacinto which won Texans independece from Mexico and wasn't March 6th the Battle of the Alamo???

      REMEMBER THE ALAMO!

      ~Judy Rice

      .

    • Andrea (Andi)
      Message 2 of 3 , May 8, 2008
        I grew up in Gonzales and have seen the infamous cannon.  It's nothing near what you might imagine!

        Andrea

        Message 3 of 3 , May 8, 2008
          That cannon is so tiny its a wonder it ever was a weapon of defense.  I was so disappointed when I finally saw the little thing.  It sounded so grand in the stories.

          Nan