Re: [TexasCzechs] chicken and rice receipe

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 29 , May 6 9:05 AM
      Thank You Judy.  I thought poultry seasoning was just for dressing.  I will try that.  paulasmaggie
      From: pfoster <pfosterbmt@sbcgloba l.net>
      To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Tuesday, May 6, 2008, 10:07 AM

      Thank you, Matt.  If Iused Soup in it I swear Grandmamma would be standing at the foot of my bed shaking her head.
      paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 29 , May 6 9:06 AM
        George, Would you like a 3 am phone call when my colon ask me if I have "lost my mind"?paulasmaggie
        Just before turning the heat off I dump in a couple of splashes of Louisiana Hot  Sauce.  Works for me.

        George
        Does anyone have a chicken and rice receipe? I have tried and tried to
        make it. I boil the chicken with salt, pepper, onions and celery then
        simmer. It is still lacking something, maybe my Grandmammas Touch.
        Help!!!!paulasmaggi e

        Checked by AVG.

        Checked by AVG.
      • pfoster
        Message 3 of 29 , May 6 9:45 AM
          Poppa used to work the Brazos Bottom outside Tunis (Burleson County).  He planted many many fields of maze for the Porter Brothers.  He would bring the maze home in what I call old gasoline barrels.  That is what we feed the chickens.  paulasmaggie
          From: pfoster <pfosterbmt@sbcgloba l.net>
          To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
          Sharon, That does sound good.  Yes, my Grandmamma said the fatter the chicken the better the broth.  When we lived in Caldwell, we raised chickens.  They were feed milo. paulasmaggie.
          MY MOTHER USED TO ROAST THE CHICKEN IN THE OVEN JUST WITH SALT AND PEPPER AND WHEN JUST ABOUT DONE ADD WATER TO MAKE A BROTH WITH ALL THE GOOD JUICES FROM THE CHICKEN.  SHE WOULD THEN ADD THE RICE AND COOK IN THE OVEN UNTIL MOST OF THE BROTH WAS ABSORBED.  SHE WOULD SOMETIMES ADD A TOUCH OF GROUND CLOVES AND NUTMEG.  I STILL LIKE IT THAT WAY, OF COURSE SHE HAD HER OWN CHICKENS SHE WOULD BUTCHER FRESH,  "A FAT HEN SHE WOULD SAY".  MAYBE THAT WAS THE DIFFERENCE.

          BUT I TOO LIKE TO MAKE THE CHICKEN AND RICE WITH THE MUSHROOM SOUP.

          Thank you, Matt.  If I used Soup in it I swear Grandmamma would be standing at the foot of my bed shaking her head.
          paulasmaggie
          Although I don't consider it Czech, usually when I make a chicken and rice casserole, I use cream of celery and/or cream of mushroom soup. That could be your missing ingredient.

          Matt

          > To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com
          > From: pfosterbmt@sbcgloba l.net
          > Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 14:49:07 +0000
          > Subject: [TexasCzechs] chicken and rice receipe
          >
          > Does anyone have a chicken and rice receipe? I have tried and tried to
          > make it. I boil the chicken with salt, pepper, onions and celery then
          > simmer. It is still lacking something, maybe my Grandmammas Touch.
          > Help!!!!paulasmaggi e

          With Windows Live for mobile, your contacts travel with you. Connect on the go.

          Checked by AVG.

          Checked by AVG.

          Checked by AVG.
        • Barbara
          Message 4 of 29 , May 6 9:45 AM
            garlic? ;-)

            At 09:49 AM 5/6/2008, you wrote:

            >Does anyone have a chicken and rice receipe? I have tried and tried to
            >make it. I boil the chicken with salt, pepper, onions and celery then
            >simmer. It is still lacking something, maybe my Grandmammas Touch.
            >Help!!!!paulasmaggie

          • robbie moore
            Message 5 of 29 , May 6 9:50 AM
              I heard the onions and celery in with the chicken to boil. I didn't hear anyone say GARLIC and CARROTS( I toss in a whole sack of baby carrots). When done, take out the chick and use a potato masher to mash up the veggies then add the deboned chicken and rice. Simmer to supremacy. It'll never be Granny's on that wood stove with her garden veggies, but it'll do. Especially when little ones have a cold. We've all heard of "Jewish Penicillin" (noodle soup), well, I tell people that is my "Czech penicillin".

              Message 6 of 29 , May 6 11:04 AM
                Paula,

                When I was a little tyke, many, many moons ago, when we would go to my Grandparents Fric's house for dinner, she would always seem to have a chicken and rice dinner.  At that time I didn't really care for it that much because it had these seeds in it and a different taste.  A few years ago when remembering those dinners I tried to recall what gave the chicken/rice that flavor and the best I could come up with is Caraway seeds.  I don't know what Grandma Fric's recipe was but caraway seed gave the flavor I recalled and now love.  You may want to try it.

                Ludwig
              • chefanita@classicnet.net
                Message 7 of 29 , May 6 7:14 PM

                  I'm in the same boat - except I'm trying to duplicate my Mama's.  Ain't never gonna happen.  When she was alive, I actually took her to the store, let her pick the ingredients and then we went back to her house and I made it in her kitchen.  I used her pots and utensils and I'll be danged if it STILL didn't taste like hers!!!!! ARGHHHH!!!

                  So now I make it my way - it's not Mama's but it's still pretty good. Good luck!

                  Anita Prazak
                  Pampered Chef Consultant
                  979/200-9105
                  chefanita@...
                  www.pamperedchef.biz/chefanita1
                  Orders can be placed on my website 24 hours a day - 7 days a week! Perfect for yourself or that last minute gift! You'll also find recipes and specials so be sure to add my website to your list of favorites and check back often!

                  Take 10 Minutes to Check Us Out!

                  Call our OPPORTUNITY LINE & listen to a recorded message about The Pampered Chef and the possibilities that await you.

                  Call (866) 837-8032, then enter code 1095577

                • Michael & Judy Rice
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 6 8:48 PM
                    That's cause it's not the same COOK!

                    Have you ever noticed that you go to a restaurant and you order something from the menu; next time you go to the same place, order the same item and it doesn't taste the same????

                    Different cook.  Happens every time.

                    ~Judy Rice

                    chefanita@classicne t.net

                      Message 10 of 29 , May 7 4:00 PM
                        If you don't like the flavor of sage you could just use parsley, rosemary, and thyme, and pepper.    You might try onions and/or garlic.

                        I don't know if any of these are Czech ingredients, understand.   I believe that the Czechs are who took the spice and the flavor out of djuvec.

                        Yours,
                        Dora Smith
                        Austin, TX
                        tiggernut24@...

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 7 4:01 PM
                          Any chance that would be peas or carrots? I'm thinking like a Czech, now.

                          Yours,
                          Dora Smith
                          Austin, TX
                          tiggernut24@...

                          --
                          Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                        • Nangotoo
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 8 4:57 AM
                            My mom was amazing how fast she could wring their necks. She learned from her grandmother. Us "kids", even when we were grown, tried hard to be gone somewhere when she did it, but she was fast.

                             We never had very many chickens--just the ones the television companies would buy and leave for us as a "gift" after they filmed or shot TV shows or movies at our ranch.  We would keep them until they stopped laying eggs and then mom would get tired of them messing on our porch (they were free range even though we had nesting boxes and a chicken house that we didn't use for chickens.  The one thing that I'll always be able to remember is the gross smell that came from the big cooking pots where she put them to par-boil before we had to pick the pin feathers off of them.  I hated that task.  We always groaned when a company left live chickens for us.  We knew that our shoveling and cleaning up after the chickens was about to start again.  Its amazing that these city slicker producers thought that leaving the chickens for us was such a great thing to do just because we lived on a ranch.  We did enjoy the eggs for awhile though.  Especially the time that all of them were laying double yoke fresh eggs everyday.

                            Nan

                            Message 13 of 29 , May 8 5:04 AM
                              I'm with you there.  I used to have a cast iron stomach and digestive system.  I enjoyed hot and spicy foods.  Now it makes me kinda sick even thinking of trying to eat that kind of food.  Why is it that some people can eat whatever they want for their whole lives and others of us spend a ridiculous amount of time paying for what we do eat?  My very favorite food used to be good ol' Texas butter beans and ham hocks with warm, fresh-from the-oven buttermilk cornbread w/ lots of butter.  Now I just call that meal "a form of suicide".  I still mourn that meal after all of these years.  LOL!  I wouldn't DARE eat beans or pork now.

                              Nan

                              Message 14 of 29 , May 8 5:29 AM
                                Also, put in some shredded cabbage in any meat and vegie soup.  My French Canadian grandma told us that it makes the difference and it really does.  I don't know what the combo of cabbage and celery in a soup does, but it really influences the broth and makes the flavor of broth soup.  When I've left it out because I didn't have any cabbage, the broth tasted like something was missing.  Of course, we use all of the other things youall have already mentioned.   I've never liked noodles in my soup, but I do like rice in it.  Jewish Pencillin isn't the noodles, its the warm chicken broth.  Also be sure to add some bay leaves and take them out before serving.  That's the secret in Jewish chicken noodle soup. All that the noodles do in any soup, Jewish or otherwise, is to stretch the soup--just like rice does.  That way, you will always have enough soup in case people drop by at the last minute--which happened a lot at our ranch.  We rarely knew when we started a meal how many people extra would be sitting down to eat it so I still have trouble making small, family-sized meals for just the three of us (one of our boys is still at home).

                                Nan

                                  Message 16 of 29 , May 8 8:44 AM
                                    When I was little, my Mom fixed that meal for dinner and later on that evening my Dad would go in and put leftover cornbread in a glass and add buttermilk or milk to it and eat it with a spoon, like it was his special little treat.  He loved it!

                                    Message 17 of 29 , May 8 9:26 AM
                                      For chicken, I was taught bay leaf and rosemary when you are boiling chicken.  It takes the bad smell out of the air and gives the chicken a good taste.  My mom uses those all the time.

                                      Nan

                                      tiggernut24@ yahoo.com

                                      Message 18 of 29 , May 8 12:02 PM

                                        One of my favorite comfort meals was one my mom taught us.  Fresh, HOT mashed potatoes with chopped bacon and chopped green onions in it.  Put that in a bowl and poor cold, fresh buttermilk all over the potatoes--lots of buttermilk and eat.  My dad wasn't a fan, so we "girls" would eat it when he was working late.  Oh, my gosh that was good!  My mom can no longer eat potatoes of any kind (they give her migraines now), and none of us can eat pork bacon.  Besides the potatoes are one of those foods that can cause problems as most of us older adults know.  Sigh

                                        How about the rest of you--what are or were your favorite foods?

                                        Nan

                                        Message 19 of 29 , May 8 12:40 PM

                                          My dad loved cornbread and milk too.  but as far as comfort food go. I have a long list.

                                          I loved Sunday dinners when we were kids, mom always baked fresh bread,  with homemade butter, you can't get much more comfort then that., but I loved her chicken and dumplings, chicken noodle soup w/ homemade noodles, and the roast she would make with veggies and a rich tomato gravy to die for, but you can not forget her homemade cinnamon rolls, I have her recipe as close as you can get w/her not using one, these were tender, big and wonderful.  my mom was a awesome cook, she could bake anything, her home made biscuits were something else, I tried and tried to imitate and got real close, then gave up and use bisquik mix, but everything else I can do pretty good.  With 2 sisters, 4 brothers their spouses and kids, it is quite a house full now when I make mom's favorites.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , May 8 1:05 PM
                                            Chicken Noodle Soup with Homemade Noodles and prune and poppyseed Kolaches.    My Grandmamma made a lot of soup and kolaches.  It was the best medicine when you were sick or down in the "blues".  If close my eyes I can still see he sitting at the kitchen table making homemade noodles and telling me how to straighten out my life when I was 20 and living on my own.  I lived in Houston and she lived in Caldwell, but that woman knew everytime I drank a Shiner or a bottle of BoonsFarm, or stayed out late.  How she knew, all I can say is she must have had Gods ear, because I never told her anything.  paulasmaggie

                                            Message 21 of 29 , May 8 1:15 PM
                                              I know how you felt.  When I was even too old to know better, I used to part my mom's hair just to make sure she didn't have tiny little telescoping, wide angle eyes in back of her head after all.  We all used to swear that our 10th grade typing teacher had eyes all over her head.  Used to freak all of us out how she knew we weren't typing our exercises, but had gone on to typing a note to someone.  Of course, NOW I know how she knew (diifferent rhythm), but it was freaky how she would quietly come up alongside a student who was off task and get them back on task really fast.  It was wierd and every 10 grader talked about it because most of us took typing in 10th grade--boys and girls. The strange thing about it was how we never figured it out and we were supposed to be intelligent kids.

                                              Nan