Re: [TexasCzechs] location

  • Joe Janecka
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
      In the meantime, you might want to try http://maps.yahoo.com/ and enter the town name such as "Babice, CZ".  There are about 6 Babice in the Czech Republic.  There are 2 Rosice.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Pat Lyon
      Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2008 3:08 PM
      Subject: [TexasCzechs] location

      Is anyone here familiar with a small town or village called Babice u Rosice,
      supposedly west or southwest of Brno a short distance? I do not find it in
      my atlas but I may be looking it up wrong as I sometimes do, not allowing
      for the differences in the way Czech & English is indexed.

      Pat Lyon

    • Pat Lyon
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
        What is the significance of Babice u Rosice if they are different villages?  Does the "u" signify they are near each other or otherwise connected?  If it is near Brno, it should be easier to pinpoint.  Thanks for your response Joe.
        Pat
      • tjs
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008

          Pat,

          You will be receiving from MapQuest showing the location of Babice u Rosice.

          I found several villages with the name of Babice toward Brno from Praha.  There I looked for Rosice since “u” means “near or at”.

          This is the best town or village web site search to use for the Czech Rep.

          http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp

          Rosice, Rossitz

          49°11' 16°23'

          E M U G

          Czech Republic

          105.9 miles SE of Praha 50°5' 14°28'

          Babice

          49°10' 16°22'

          E M U G

          Czech Republic

          106.0 miles SE of Praha 50°5' 14°28'

           Another map source is: http://www.mapy.cz/

          It has aerial photo of your given village showing the street names and top views of houses.

          You can spend much time just looking at the views.

          Take Care.

          TJ

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
            Pat,

            "U" means by.  It would be the village of Babice by the village of Rosice.

            No, I'm not the one going to the Czech Republic.  I went there last summer.

            Joe