location

  • Pat Lyon
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
      Is anyone here familiar with a small town or village called Babice u Rosice,
      supposedly west or southwest of Brno a short distance? I do not find it in
      my atlas but I may be looking it up wrong as I sometimes do, not allowing
      for the differences in the way Czech & English is indexed.

      Pat Lyon
    • Joe Janecka
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
        In the meantime, you might want to try http://maps.yahoo.com/ and enter the town name such as "Babice, CZ".  There are about 6 Babice in the Czech Republic.  There are 2 Rosice.

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
          What is the significance of Babice u Rosice if they are different villages?  Does the "u" signify they are near each other or otherwise connected?  If it is near Brno, it should be easier to pinpoint.  Thanks for your response Joe.
          Pat
        • tjs
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008

            Pat,

            You will be receiving from MapQuest showing the location of Babice u Rosice.

            I found several villages with the name of Babice toward Brno from Praha.  There I looked for Rosice since “u” means “near or at”.

            This is the best town or village web site search to use for the Czech Rep.

            http://www.jewishgen.org/Communities/LocTown.asp

            Rosice, Rossitz

            49°11' 16°23'

            E M U G

            Czech Republic

            105.9 miles SE of Praha 50°5' 14°28'

            Babice

            49°10' 16°22'

            E M U G

            Czech Republic

            106.0 miles SE of Praha 50°5' 14°28'

             Another map source is: http://www.mapy.cz/

            It has aerial photo of your given village showing the street names and top views of houses.

            You can spend much time just looking at the views.

            Take Care.

            TJ

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2008
              Pat,

              "U" means by.  It would be the village of Babice by the village of Rosice.

              No, I'm not the one going to the Czech Republic.  I went there last summer.

              Joe