Re: [TexasCzechs] Gerzik

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 27, 2008
      Shelia, If you can give the birth and death date of your grandparents, plus if you knew where they lived this would help.  paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 27, 2008
        Hmmmm - yikes....  I know they lived in Snook, Texas - Burleson County.  Joseph died in 1970 or 1971 - Not sure about DOB.  I will see what I can find out.  If all else fell I can go to the Snook cemetary and get the exact dates for you.

        Thank you so much!!!  I am kinda excited to find out anything.  =)  My daddy was the baby of the family and he was 20 years older than my mom and he dies in 1992.  I was only 18 and not much into family history.  I could kick myself for not asking more questions.  Now all of three of his siblings are long gone and I ma just kinda in limbo.

        Thank you for response!!!

        Shelia, If you can give the birth and death date of your grandparents, plus if you knew where they lived this would help.  paulasmaggie

          My maiden name is Gerzik. My grandfather (Joseph Gerzik) was from
          Czech & my grandmother (Vlasta Vajdak) was from Austria, so the story
          goes. I have found a many of Vajdak, but hardly any distant Gerzik's.
          The ones I find are a handful of cousins. Does anyone know how to find
          out if my grandparents were born here or if they came over on a ship
          years ago. All of my older relatives that I would ask are gone and I
          would really be interested in knowing.

          Thanks for any help your could offer.

          Checked by AVG.

          Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
        • Sir John

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 27, 2008
              Shelia,

              Here's more on Joe Gerzik.  Familysearch.org, Salt Lake, UT has this information taken from the Social Security records:

              Joe Gerzik, born 12 Nov 1890 and died Feb 1971.  SS# 451-60-1302 issued in TX and showed last check sent to Snook, Burleson Cty., TX

              Joe Gerzik born 6 Feb 1928 died 30 Aug 1997 with last pm't going to Bryan, Brazos Cty, TX.  SS# was 450-32-1266.  As the two lived in same general area and above Joe would be 38 at time of 2nd Joe's birth, why I wonder if his father - son.
              - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Checking the US Census records, found Joe Gerzik family in 1920 Burleson Cty, TX census with no record for 1930 census.  The '20 Census was for Justice Precinct #2, Sheet 11B, made Jan 29-30, 1920.

              Gerzik, Joe, husband, age 28, showing immigration 1886 or 1896 (born 1890?) in Moravia; parents born in Moravia.  Could read and write.
              Gerzik, Vlasta, wife, 27, born in TX - could read and write.
              Gerzik, Mylide (Milady?) daughter age 3 2/12 years, born TX
              Jrinch, Ed        Male, servant, age 17 and single.

              --________-----_

              Little difference in birth years, but I think the older Joe Gerzik is the same person on census and SS index.  The younger Joe Gerzik on SS Index was born after the 1920 census and naturally would be on the census.

              Hope this helps.

              Sir John

            • probert420@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 27, 2008
                Here is some information on Gerzik.

                Milady Olga Gerzik born May 17, 1916 in Burleson County doesn't list partents names certificate number 18305 Roll Number 1916_0004 Texas Birth Index 1903-1997.  Married Frank J. Fojt, Jr..  Children:  Frank J. Fojt, III born March 6, 1940;  Allen Roy Fojt born May 20, 1941;  Bonnie Lynn Fojt born February 16, 1944 all in Burleson County.

                Joe Bennie Gerzik born February 6, 1928 in Burleson County to Joe Gerzik and Vlasta Vajdak.

                Bennie James Gerzik born July 8, 1935 in Burleson County to Joe W Gerzik and Valsta Vajdak.

                Hope this helps,
                Patsy Fuller Robertson

              • sheila jones

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 1 11:34 PM
                      Joe Bennie Gerzek bn 2-6-1928 Burleson County to Joe Gerzik and Vlasta Vajdak according to the Texas Birth Index.  paulasmaggie