Orphan Trains to Texas

  • paulasmaggie
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 13, 2008
      In the early 1900s New York City sent train after train across the
      U.S.A. with orphaned children. Hundreds came to Texas including
      Burleson County where William Martin and his sister Alice Diegens were
      adopted by Peter Matula and Louise Cabron. I was wondering if anyone
      else on line had family members who were part of this great
      movement.paulasmaggie
    • Pat Hejl
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 13, 2008
        There is an article in the May 1995 issue of The Brethren Journal submitted by Leland Miller of the Fayetteville Brethren Church about the Orphan Train. One of the trains left New York in 1904 enroute to Texas; stopping in the Fayetteville area. Mr. William Jennings Duckett was a child on this train. Mr. Duckett later married Anna Marie Hruska, daughter of Thomas Stephen Hruska and Anna Havlik. (There is a connection of the Hruska family and the Zabcik family.)  This is quite an interesting story, told in Mr. Duckett's own words. Mr. Duckett died July 12, 1994 at the age of 99.

        Pat
      • Eric In The Woodlands
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 13, 2008

          My grandfather had an aunt approximately his own age, Stella Teltschik Taylor.  She and her brother Raymond were adopted by my great grandfather and great grandmother.

          You can read all about her here:  http://www.texancultures.utsa.edu/memories/TEXT/stella/stella.htm

          Eric Teltschik

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 13, 2008
            Thank-You.  I had found one of the main pages for the Orphan Riders which included some of the stories from the Texas Riders.  There were over 200,000 children that were taken out of New York City across our country.  There are good and sad stories.  It is like we have a "lost generation" of children which has barely been mentioned in the history books.  paulasmaggie.
            My grandfather had an aunt approximately his own age, Stella Teltschik Taylor.  She and her brother Raymond were adopted by my great grandfather and great grandmother.

            You can read all about her here:  http://www.texancul tures.utsa. edu/memories/ TEXT/stella/ stella.htm

            Eric Teltschik

            In the early 1900s New York City sent train after train across the
            U.S.A. with orphaned children. Hundreds came to Texas including
            Burleson County where William Martin and his sister Alice Diegens were
            adopted by Peter Matula and Louise Cabron. I was wondering if anyone
            else on line had family members who were part of this great
            movement.paulasmagg ie

            Checked by AVG.
          • Sir John
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 13, 2008
              Eric,

              Thank you for posting link to your aunts story.  So well written and touching that I felt like I was sitting next to your aunt while reading the story.  Story makes us realize how we miss 'family life' of yesterday year along with how great things are today, which we just take for granted.  I could not stop reading the story until went completely through it - so interesting.

              Sir John

              Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
            • Paula Gilbert
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 15, 2008

                A cousin of my grandmother (Rosalie Darilek Cuba ) was one of these children.  After their mother’s death, her children researched her background and corresponded with the orphanage that placed her with her adopted parents.  Somewhere in my files I have a copy of the letter.  The orphanage was run by an order of nuns in New York City .  My mother remembers hearing about her great aunt and uncle traveling to meet a train to pick up the little girl, who was probably no more than 2 years old.

                Now I’ve got to dig through my stuff to find the letter!

                Paula Musil Gilbert

                100 percent Czech ancestors! (Musil-Bravenec, Slovacek-Adamek, Darilek-Orsak , Cuba -Albrecht)

              • pfoster

                  Message 8 of 13 , May 25, 2008
                    I was cleaning up some of my research, and noticed that an adopted
                    daughter of John (b. 1855) and Agnes (b. 1862) HUDEC shows up in the
                    1910 Burleson County Census, listed as Helen, age 4, born in New
                    York, birthplace of parents unknown. Possibly from the orphan train?
                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "pfoster" <pfosterbmt@...> wrote:

                    > Paula, Since I last posted one of Cousin Bernards Mareks John Marek
                    and Mary Bayer adopted two of the orphan children from New York we
                    found in the Census.paulasmaggie

                    3/14/2008 12:33 PM

                  • Eric In The Woodlands
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 25, 2008

                      Very likely.

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 26, 2008
                        Helen was part of the "orphan train".  In Burleson 1910 she is listed as adopted.  Her birth is New York City.  From what research I have done if you find a child listed in the early 1900s as adopted from New York City, they were part of the "train".  In 1920 she is listed as the daughter of John Hudec and Agnes Muzny being born in Texas.  Then  in 1930 she is a waitress in a hotel in Galveston rooming at L.W. and Bessie Hyker home.  She know list her birth as New York City and parents being born in the United States.  This was the confusing part when I started researching and finding the orphan children in our family.  If you go to 1920 Census a lot of times they had already been absorbed into the family, but if you checked in a 1910 they are listed as adopted.  Furthermore, from what I have gleamed from reading about the orphans it would make a grown man cry.  These children were gathered up like cattle and shipped out of New York City all across America.  The train would stop, people would gather and pick out which children they wanted.  There were no background checks on the adopted parents.  Either the child went to a loving home or unfortunately were adopted to be farm hands.  A lot of times siblings were broken up and taken by different families never knowing what happened to each other.  One added note some of the children had been left by their parents because of financial difficulties with instructions they would be back.  It is was only temporary, but when they returned their children were gone forever.  paulasmaggie

                        Message 11 of 13 , May 28, 2008
                          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

                          > I was cleaning up some of my research, and noticed that an adopted
                          > daughter of John (b. 1855) and Agnes (b. 1862) HUDEC shows up in
                          the
                          > 1910 Burleson County Census, listed as Helen, age 4, born in New
                          > York, birthplace of parents unknown. Possibly from the orphan train?
                          > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "pfoster" <pfosterbmt@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Paula, Since I last posted one of Cousin Bernards Mareks John
                          Marek
                          > and Mary Bayer adopted two of the orphan children from New York we
                          > found in the Census.paulasmaggie

                          Added note to Helen Hudec. Her adopted parents were John Hudec and
                          Agnes Muzny. This is part of Cousin Bernard Gaas Mareks and part of
                          my Muzny Family Trees. Helen was the youngest sister to Mary Hudec
                          Marek who married George Marek. This was Bernards Grandparents.
                          Helen is buried at Frenstat Catholic Cemetery. Her tombstone reads
                          bn May 11, 1906 d November 4, 1968 Helen Keifer Case. She died in
                          Harris County. paulasmaggie

                          Date:
                          > 3/14/2008 12:33 PM

                        • janapivec
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2 10:23 AM
                            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "paulasmaggie" <pfosterbmt@...>
                            wrote:
                            > Added note to Helen Hudec. Her adopted parents were John Hudec and
                            > Agnes Muzny. This is part of Cousin Bernard Gaas Mareks and part of
                            > my Muzny Family Trees. Helen was the youngest sister to Mary Hudec
                            > Marek who married George Marek. This was Bernards Grandparents.
                            > Helen is buried at Frenstat Catholic Cemetery. Her tombstone reads
                            > bn May 11, 1906 d November 4, 1968 Helen Keifer Case. She died in
                            > Harris County. paulasmaggie

                            I have been puzzling over this message since you sent it, trying to
                            find the Mary Hudec you mention. In the 1900 Census, I only find a Jim
                            Hudec, in Colorado County. In the 1910 Census, I do see John and Agnes
                            Hudec, with sons John, William, Emil and Henry, plus adopted daughter
                            Helen. I thought it was nice that Agnes got a little girl in that
                            houseful of boys. Similarly, in the 1920 Census, I find John, Agnes,
                            Henry, Helen, Emil and john Jr, but no Mary.

                            Can you enlighten me? Many thanks, jana
                          • pfoster
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 2 11:17 AM
                              Jana, Her name was Helen.  I have the Ancestry PDF files.  If you like me to send them please email me at pfosterbmt@....  paulasmaggie