RE: [TexasCzechs] Frequency of Czech Surnames

  • Eric In The Woodlands
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008

      I wasn’t offended at all by your email, I was just disappointed that the characters did not come through.  I did get feedback from at least one person that made me cry, though (haha, not really… ) to my surprise, she pointed out that I had only parsed the first 999 names, not all 9,999…  can you imagine the ingratitude?  J  Okay, so I overlooked the several other links on the website.  Unfortunately, the resulting output is so large I cannot send it through this website.

      If anyone wants ALL 9,999 NAMES  (and you know who you are, Cindy <grin>), feel free to send me your direct email address and I’ll forward it.    Maybe this will help out the few I’ve heard from who could not find their names at all.

      The file is in MS Word format, my copy of which maps all diacritics accurately.

      Eric

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008
        Dear Cindy,

        I am very interested in a listing of the names.  I also, am having truble getting excess to all.  Could you send me the complete list?  Hard copy would be fine.  Whatever is more convenient to you.

        Let me know if there is a cost.

        Thanks.

        SYLVIA J. LAZNOVSKY
        4722 FM 2283
        Ennis, Tx. 75119

        Phone:  972-878-3091
        e-mail:  Sylviajean12@...
      • Eric In The Woodlands
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008

          Sylvia:

          I’ve forwarded the list to you.

          Thanks,

          Eric

          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 5, 2008
            Message
            Thank you Cindy, for the link. I found my maternal grandmother's surname, and my mother's surname on the list. I don't know the surname of my mother's paternal grandmother, nor of her maternal grand mother. I know my aunt was keeping some correspondence going with cousins in Czechoslovakia. At one time my mother told me the names of the towns or villages my grandparents came from, but I've forgotten them now.

            I really feel like I belong now. I have seen validation of my maternal roots in Czechoslovakia.

            Sally (in Oregon)
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 6, 2008
              Welcome to the Czech family.

              Now that you know your heritage is from Czechoslovakia, can you narrow it down to Czech or Slovakia?

              My wife and I made a trip to the Czech Republic 3 summers ago.  It was a most wonderful trip.  We met some of my Reznicek relatives and spent some time in their home.

              My wife and I speak a limited amount of Czech but were able to communicate fairly well until they started talking about new technology and then I was lost.  I found out that the Czech language we speak, is that of of our forefathers.  The Czech that is spoken in the Czech Republic has changed but they could understand us and we them.

              It is a wonderful country and if they know that you are a Czech from the USA and From Texas, you will get the royal treatment.  We were fortunate to attend a festival in Frenstat and were asked to come up on stage during the opening ceremonies along with several Federal Representatives and introduced to the attendees.  We were also invited to join the town mayor and others for a great breakfast.

              Have many more stories I could tell you.

              Ed

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 6, 2008
                Message
                Hi Ed,

                Thanks for the welcome and the story. Love stories! I loved the book that I ordered,  _Small Doses of Arsenic_. That also helped me to understand my mother's family and my mother more. Why my grandfather sent her to town to do domestic work to pay her way so she could graduate from High School. Only 2 of the 11 siblings did so.

                I recall that Mom said one of them cane from near Prague, and I think she said the other was Moravian. But don't hold me to task on that. I'm of an age where memory is as much fantasy as  reality. :) I'm the little old granny now.

                I speak no Czech. My mom tried t teach me, and stared with counting. Sorry, just couldn't wrap my mouth around the sounds. And I was never offered the chance to learn to read/speak the language. I think I'd have done better with that.

                Then there was life, and I got busy with raising a family.

                Sally

                Thank you Cindy, for the link. I found my maternal grandmother' s surname, and my mother's surname on the list. I don't know the surname of my mother's paternal grandmother, nor of her maternal grand mother. I know my aunt was keeping some correspondence going with cousins in Czechoslovakia. At one time my mother told me the names of the towns or villages my grandparents came from, but I've forgotten them now.

                I really feel like I belong now. I have seen validation of my maternal roots in Czechoslovakia.

                Sally (in Oregon)
                I found this site through "Cindi's List".  It's in Czech, but not hard to understand.  It starts with the most frequent occurrence and lists 9,999 names!

              • Patricia Powell
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 6, 2008
                  Eric,

                  I would like a copy.  Can you please send me the copy.  Patricia Powell   lakePKP@...

                  Thanking you in advance,

                   Sorry Eric. I did not mean to criticize. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my software.

                  Allen Livanec

                • bob appic
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 6, 2008
                    Eric,

                    Please send a copy of the file to

                    bobappic@...

                    Thank you for all your effort.

                    Bob
                  • j. w. janosek
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 10, 2008
                      Eric,
                      I would like a copy if you don't mind.  Thank you.   Jerry

                      Patricia Powell <lakepkp@...> wrote:
                      ,
                      Eric,

                      I would like a copy.  Can you please send me the copy.  Patricia Powell   lakePKP@yahoo. com

                      Thanking you in advance,

                    • CWarschak@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 11, 2008
                            Eric,

                            Would you also send me a copy of the Czech Surnames.
                            Thank you in advance.

                            Carroll Warschak