RE: [TexasCzechs] Frequency of Czech Surnames

  • Lydia Mousner
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
      Thanks, Eric. That's a big help.
      Lydia

      --- Eric In The Woodlands
      <ericinthewoodlands@...> wrote:

      > If anyone is interested, here is the same
> [...]
      === message truncated ===

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • livanec@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
        When I open it. There are no letters with haceks or carka. The letters that should have them are replaced with some other letters.

        Allen

      • Eric In The Woodlands
        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008

          I noticed in the version I sent that haceks and carka are still there, but on Lydia’s reply above, they are replaced with other characters.

          It’s about a five minute sort and re-send, so I’ll do it again and forward it in MS Word to anyone who wants it.  See what you get when you try to be helpful? J

          Eric

          When I open it. There are no letters with haceks or carka. The letters that should have them are replaced with some other letters.

          Allen

        • Cindy Neal
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
            Eric, thank you SO MUCH for doing this.  I tried for about a half hour to figure out how to do it with Excel and couldn't.  Thanks for your expertise!

            Cindy

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

          • Andikat@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
              I never thought my last name was the most common until I joined this list.

              Andrea Novak

              In a message dated 3/3/2008 9:06:05 A.M. Central Standard Time, cindyneal@... writes:

              I found this site through "Cindi's List".  It's in Czech, but not hard to understand.  It starts with the most frequent occurrence and lists 9,999 names!

              TITLE: Cetnost ceských príjmení (Frequency of Czech Surnames)

              Cindy Neal

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            • livanec@aol.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                 Sorry Eric. I did not mean to criticize. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my software.

                Allen Livanec

              • livanec@aol.com
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008
                  My surname was not listed. Neither was my mother's.

                  Allen Livanec.

                  Mother: Ella Pasak

                • Eric In The Woodlands
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 3, 2008

                    I wasn’t offended at all by your email, I was just disappointed that the characters did not come through.  I did get feedback from at least one person that made me cry, though (haha, not really… ) to my surprise, she pointed out that I had only parsed the first 999 names, not all 9,999…  can you imagine the ingratitude?  J  Okay, so I overlooked the several other links on the website.  Unfortunately, the resulting output is so large I cannot send it through this website.

                    If anyone wants ALL 9,999 NAMES  (and you know who you are, Cindy <grin>), feel free to send me your direct email address and I’ll forward it.    Maybe this will help out the few I’ve heard from who could not find their names at all.

                    The file is in MS Word format, my copy of which maps all diacritics accurately.

                    Eric

                  • sylviajean12@cs.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008
                      Dear Cindy,

                      I am very interested in a listing of the names.  I also, am having truble getting excess to all.  Could you send me the complete list?  Hard copy would be fine.  Whatever is more convenient to you.

                      Let me know if there is a cost.

                      Thanks.

                      SYLVIA J. LAZNOVSKY
                      4722 FM 2283
                      Ennis, Tx. 75119

                      Phone:  972-878-3091
                      e-mail:  Sylviajean12@...
                    • Eric In The Woodlands
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 4, 2008

                        Sylvia:

                        I’ve forwarded the list to you.

                        Thanks,

                        Eric

                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 5, 2008
                          Message
                          Thank you Cindy, for the link. I found my maternal grandmother's surname, and my mother's surname on the list. I don't know the surname of my mother's paternal grandmother, nor of her maternal grand mother. I know my aunt was keeping some correspondence going with cousins in Czechoslovakia. At one time my mother told me the names of the towns or villages my grandparents came from, but I've forgotten them now.

                          I really feel like I belong now. I have seen validation of my maternal roots in Czechoslovakia.

                          Sally (in Oregon)
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 6, 2008
                            Welcome to the Czech family.

                            Now that you know your heritage is from Czechoslovakia, can you narrow it down to Czech or Slovakia?

                            My wife and I made a trip to the Czech Republic 3 summers ago.  It was a most wonderful trip.  We met some of my Reznicek relatives and spent some time in their home.

                            My wife and I speak a limited amount of Czech but were able to communicate fairly well until they started talking about new technology and then I was lost.  I found out that the Czech language we speak, is that of of our forefathers.  The Czech that is spoken in the Czech Republic has changed but they could understand us and we them.

                            It is a wonderful country and if they know that you are a Czech from the USA and From Texas, you will get the royal treatment.  We were fortunate to attend a festival in Frenstat and were asked to come up on stage during the opening ceremonies along with several Federal Representatives and introduced to the attendees.  We were also invited to join the town mayor and others for a great breakfast.

                            Have many more stories I could tell you.

                            Ed

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 6, 2008
                              Message
                              Hi Ed,

                              Thanks for the welcome and the story. Love stories! I loved the book that I ordered,  _Small Doses of Arsenic_. That also helped me to understand my mother's family and my mother more. Why my grandfather sent her to town to do domestic work to pay her way so she could graduate from High School. Only 2 of the 11 siblings did so.

                              I recall that Mom said one of them cane from near Prague, and I think she said the other was Moravian. But don't hold me to task on that. I'm of an age where memory is as much fantasy as  reality. :) I'm the little old granny now.

                              I speak no Czech. My mom tried t teach me, and stared with counting. Sorry, just couldn't wrap my mouth around the sounds. And I was never offered the chance to learn to read/speak the language. I think I'd have done better with that.

                              Then there was life, and I got busy with raising a family.

                              Sally

                              Thank you Cindy, for the link. I found my maternal grandmother' s surname, and my mother's surname on the list. I don't know the surname of my mother's paternal grandmother, nor of her maternal grand mother. I know my aunt was keeping some correspondence going with cousins in Czechoslovakia. At one time my mother told me the names of the towns or villages my grandparents came from, but I've forgotten them now.

                              I really feel like I belong now. I have seen validation of my maternal roots in Czechoslovakia.

                              Sally (in Oregon)
                              I found this site through "Cindi's List".  It's in Czech, but not hard to understand.  It starts with the most frequent occurrence and lists 9,999 names!

                            • Patricia Powell
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 6, 2008
                                Eric,

                                I would like a copy.  Can you please send me the copy.  Patricia Powell   lakePKP@...

                                Thanking you in advance,

                                 Sorry Eric. I did not mean to criticize. I thought maybe there was something wrong with my software.

                                Allen Livanec

                              • bob appic
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 6, 2008
                                  Eric,

                                  Please send a copy of the file to

                                  bobappic@...

                                  Thank you for all your effort.

                                  Bob
                                • j. w. janosek
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 10, 2008
                                    Eric,
                                    I would like a copy if you don't mind.  Thank you.   Jerry

                                    Patricia Powell <lakepkp@...> wrote:
                                    ,
                                    Eric,

                                    I would like a copy.  Can you please send me the copy.  Patricia Powell   lakePKP@yahoo. com

                                    Thanking you in advance,

                                  • CWarschak@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 11, 2008
                                          Eric,

                                          Would you also send me a copy of the Czech Surnames.
                                          Thank you in advance.

                                          Carroll Warschak