RE: [TexasCzechs] immigration papers

  • Cindy Neal
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 30, 2007
      They could have come in almost anywhere in 1883. Lots of immigration
      records have been transcribed. If you can give us the names you are looking
      for I'm sure you'll get lots of help. If we can locate them on an index and
      give you the information, you can write to the National Archives for a copy
      of the ship's passenger list and whatever else they have.

      Citizenship applications would be in the county where they first asked for
      citizenship (if they did).

      Cindy Neal

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 30, 2007
        Would have been Franz or Jordan Boehm
        Katherine Boehm
        Franz/Frank Boehm
        Anna Boehm
        Marie/Mary Boehm
        came from Bohemia on the Werra to New York in 1883.
        spelled it Bohme on the passenger list.
        have seen it Bohm with two dots over o
        Carla Boehm
      • probert420@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2007
          Carla:

          One thing to keep in mind when finding ships passenger list is that the captain was German most of the time.

          As for Census the numerators never seemed to understand Czech or how to spell Czech surnames and couldn't ask how it was spelt from the family because of the language barrier.

          I took a look at the passenger list for the Werra in 1883 for Boehm and found it indexed as Bohme.  Most of the people that index the microfilm aren't of Czech heritage so they index would they think they see on the microfilm.  I can clearly see the spelling as Bohm for the Franz family.

          If you scroll down to the second page of the passenger's list you will see a Jordan Bohm and Anna Bohm listed.  This Jordan Bohm is 37 years old.  I'm not sure how this family is indexed.

          When I first started with research I ran into this same things.  Two men with the same last name (Vavra), same age, living in the same county (Fayette County), with children having the same names but from different village in the Fatherland.  It's better to figure out now than later your researching the correct person.  There seems to be a lot of Bohm/Boehm living in Texas from the Fatherland.

          As for Bohemian and Moravian Czechs the only difference I see is their Czech dialect are different and some of their foods are different.  I have traveled through all parts of the Czech Republic many times and love everything about the Czech Republic. One funny thing, I bought some crystal from a factory shop in the Moravian part.  When I looked at the bottom of the vase it was marked "Bohemian Crystal."  I asked why "Moravian Crystal" is stamped "Bohemian Crystal."  The factory manager's answer was, "We have to mark the crystal this way."  Image that!

          Enjoy,
          Patsy

        • Patricia Powell
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
            My grandmother came over from that area and landed in Galveston, TX.  Do you know the name of the ship they came over on or the date they came over on?

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
              I got a copy of my grand fathers immigration papers in the County Court house where he applied for citizenship.

              Allen L.

            • livanec@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
                I don't know where you live but If you go to the Czech Cultural Center Houst or The Texas Czech Heritage Society library there are several books written by Leo Baca called Czech Immigration Passenger Lists. It has all the US cities where Czech immigrants came through when entering the US. He has done extensive research on all Czech immigrants to the USA. You may also buy his books. Just Google Leo Baca it will give info where to buy them from.

                Allen L.

              • Kathy (Dlabay) Makiewicz
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
                  Carla,

                  Prior to 1892 in NY it would be Castle Garden,
                  http://www.castlegarden.org/. I did not find their information there.
                  This database is cumbersome to use. I have Ancestry.com so Ancestry
                  is what I use.

                  I found them in the New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 at Ancestry.
                  I've typed up the information in the index. The surname is as I typed
                  it. If you have Ancestry you can see and save a copy of the manifest
                  page. Fordan (Jordan) and Anna are at #624 & #625. The Bohme (I'm
                  not sure if the E was included on the actual manifest) group are
                  #609-#614. There are 9 people between the 2 groups and right above
                  Franz group is a group of 3 from Bavaria.

                  Be aware that being on the same manifest page isn't an automatic
                  connection. I don't remember from earlier emails if Jordan has a
                  brother Frank.

                  I have my Elsik, Dlabaja, another family and another Elsik group all
                  on the same manifest page in that order. I have Elsik back very far
                  and don't have the Elsik in the other group who went to a different
                  County. I have my Dlabaja back to my 6th gr grandparents. My 5th gr
                  grandfather is 1 of 5 children and the other 4 are female. My Dlabaja
                  was in Burleson Co. Ellis Co is full of Dlabaja. I just know we
                  connect but any connection would have to be from my 7th gr grandfather
                  and records for his time( apr. 1725) are not available. I have a
                  manifest page for Skrabanek with 2 families right next to each other
                  and one went to Burleson Co and the other Skrabanek family went to
                  Washington Co. The Head male in each group are listed with the same
                  age. Are they brothers? I'm not sure yet and this is a twig in the tree.

                  If you don't have access to Ancestry, let me know and I'll send you a
                  copy of the manifest page. The actual page will tell you more than an

                  All listed as Bohemian on ship Werra that left from Bremen, Germany
                  and Southampton, England---I was unable to find a departure date.

                  Name Arrival Date Est Birth Yr Gender
                  609 Franz Bohme 15 Sep 1883 abt 1856 Male
                  610 Kathna Bohme 15 Sep 1883 abt 1850 Female
                  611 Franz Bohme 15 Sep 1883 abt 1876 Male
                  612 Adolf Bohme 15 Sep 1883 abt 1877 Male
                  613 Anna Bohme 15 Sep 1883 abt 1879 Female
                  614 Maria Bohme 15 Sep 1883 abt 1881 Female

                  624 Fordan Bohm 15 Sep 1883 abt 1846 Male
                  625 Anna Bohm 15 Sep 1883 abt 1853 Female

                  Kathy

                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Carla" <soarsister@...> wrote:

                  > Forgive me if I asked this already.
                  > Where would one find immigration papers, if someone came to America
                  from Bohemia in 1883, but isn't listed at Ellis Island?
                  > Carla
                • G Martisek
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
                    Carla,

                    I have a book, Czech Footprints across Lavaca County, Vol II,
                    Naturalization Records and Marriages, 1860-1900, dated 1986. It was
                    compiled by Anne Rhodes and Dorothy Bujnoch. It contains extractions of
                    Czech names fromo Naturalization Records and marriage records of Lavaca
                    County.

                    I found Jordan Boehm, age 40, in the book. The record is recorded in
                    District Court of Lavaca County on Nov 6, 1886, Volume B, page 47.

                    Shows country of origin as Austria. Under the province, it looks like
                    "Stein". No departure city, but arrival city as New York, New York on
                    20 Sept 1883.

                    I haven't done this recently, but years ago, I would send a letlter to
                    the District Court of Lavaca County and send a dollar or so (depending
                    on how many copies I was asking for). Just ask for a xerox copy of the
                    naturalization record---give them the date, volume and page indicated above.

                    I believe that you can find the address for the District Court on the
                    Lavaca County web site.

                    I will continue looking through the book--it does not have an index so
                    it is a page by page search.
                    However, I couldn't wait to get this information to you.

                    Have a Happy New Year!!

                    Gerri

                    Carla wrote:

                    > Forgive me if I asked this already.
                    > Where would one find immigration papers, if someone came to America
                    > from Bohemia in 1883, but isn't listed at Ellis Island?
                    > Carla

                  • Carla
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
                      Thank you, it sounds like that would be him.  can't wait to see them.
                      Carla Boehm
                    • Diann Biltz
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 31, 2007
                        did you by any chance find a Joseph and or Franz Vavrusa in this book?

                        DIANN BILTZ

                        Carla wrote:

                        > Forgive me if I asked this already.
                        > Where would one find immigration papers, if someone came to America
                        > from Bohemia in 1883, but isn't listed at Ellis Island?
                        > Carla

                      • G Martisek
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 1, 2008
                          Here is what I found on Vavrusa--

                          Vavrusa, Frank 28 Moravia, Austria To Galveston, TX on 27 May 1883
                          Recorded 2 May 1887 in Volume B, page 59

                          There also was an entry for 2 Anton Vavrusa's --not sure if related, but
                          worth a try.

                          Vavrusa, Anton 51 from Kudlov province, Austria. To Galveston on July 1900
                          Recorded 20 Oct 1900 in Vol B, page 343

                          Vavrusa, Anton 41 b. 4 Aug 1881 Departed Bremen, Germany on Vessel: Bremen?
                          Arrived Galveston, TX 25 June 1897. Recorded 10 Mar 1923 Volume 3, page 130

                          Additional info: Farmer, white, comp. dark, h 5"6" wt. 165 brown hair,
                          brown eyes
                          Wife - Frances
                          b. Hallettsville ?
                          Residence - Hallettsville, Rt. 7

                          Hope this helps.

                          Remember this is from the District Courts in Lavaca County, TX.

                          Gerri

                          Diann Biltz wrote:

                          > did you by any chance find a Joseph and or Franz Vavrusa in this book?
                          >
                          > DIANN BILTZ

                        • Diann Biltz
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 2, 2008
                            thank you