Re: [TexasCzechs] Boehm's burried in Moravia, TX

  • Patricia Powell
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2007
      I have great grandparents that were buried in Moravia Catholic Cemetary and when my mom and I went to see the graves, we could not find them.  The priest there said that if they were buried over a 100 years ago, they might have been reused to bury new bodies.  They only have to have them for 100 years then at that time, they can bury someone over them.  We were shocked to hear this and I asked what happened to the headstones and he said that he did not know.

      He said that if I send him a letter giving the names and dates, he might be able to locate some information on them.  However, he is the priest at two different towns in two different churches.  I have not received any information from him and had since thought it was a dead end.

      From: soarsister@clearwir e.net
      Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 11:36:37 -0600

      I don't believe that one would be ours although it could be his son. Here is a list of his kids. I only actually know where Joseph and Alois (Louis) Boehm are buried, and that is in Flatonia.
      I see on Joseph's death cert (my husband's great great grandfather) that they lived in Moravia, TX and Bott's Texas...I cannot find either on a map.
      The son of Joseph or the brother (both Franks) signed the death cert. and said they were from Austria, Hungary which makes no sense-aren't they both countries? Geographically Illiterate. Then the census and ship documents say Bohemian, Czechs. ???
      Carla
      __._,_._

      Don't get caught with egg on your face. Play Chicktionary! Check it out!

    • Carla
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2007

        Is this the same one? I could only find this one in Moravia.
        Hope it helps...
        I cannot imagine they would move the stones!  I hope he was wrong.
        Carla
      • pfoster
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 31, 2007
          Carla,  My grgr Aunt Katerina Urban Valigura passed away in 1927 and as Mr. AJ Blaha wrote  daughter Rosie who died first at 22 is buried in her grave also.  Quiet frankly, this "freaked" me out and still does.  When Pat and I went to the Hranice Cemetery the first thing I looked for was a marker or any indication that she is buried there.  There is known.  At first I thought since she died at a young age they buried her beside her father Paul Valigura.  Okay, then Aunt Katerina would be buried on the other side.  Then I thought there was no room.  Now, after the visit I realize there was room, unfortunately and sadly they probably forgot that Cousin Rosie was buried there until they started digging the grave.  The one thing I did learn is there are a lot of unmarked relatives buried or they had been marked with a pile of stones or a piece of wood that had been lost in time.  During some of the older cemeteries restoration you had markers knocked-over.  They a lot of times just uprighted them and hope you had the right grave.  The people God Bless the Soul did a great job in clearing and cleaning-up some of these country cemeteries.  Now, about actually intentionally moving the stones, that is a new one.  I have read in the old country space was limited so people were buried in the same grave.  I want to say, but I need someone to clarify this, but maybe some of the headstones were moved because of limited space.  paulasmaggie
          Is this the same one? I could only find this one in Moravia.
          Hope it helps...
          I cannot imagine they would move the stones!  I hope he was wrong.
          Carla

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • Patricia Powell

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
              Patricia, am I reading this right.  They moved the headstones without the family permission?  paulasmaggie

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
                The priest said that after 100 years, they can then reuse the graves. He didn't have permission from my grandparents as they had passed away already. They didn't ask my dad to the best of my knowledge as my mom didn't know anything about it and she was as surprised as I was to not be able to find the graves and hear what the priest told us.

                Their graves were in front of the statue of Jesus on the cross and now they are not there.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
                  Patricia, I donot know if this helps and I myself yet to do it myself.  When I was in Dime Box let just say I had a problem with a priest who refused to give me a copy of information I needed.  When I came home I talk to a client who is a devote Catholic.  He said that the priest was wrong.  Family information can be copied and given to family members.  My client said to write to the Catholic Church in Austin.  I have the address somewhere.  He said that is where all the records are kept and where the priests have to answer too for any grievances.  paulafoster
                  The priest said that after 100 years, they can then reuse the graves. He didn't have permission from my grandparents as they had passed away already. They didn't ask my dad to the best of my knowledge as my mom didn't know anything about it and she was as surprised as I was to not be able to find the graves and hear what the priest told us.

                  Their graves were in front of the statue of Jesus on the cross and now they are not there.

                  Patricia, am I reading this right. They moved the headstones without the family permission? paulasmaggie

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                • Pat Lyon
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2008
                    I am amazed and appalled that would happen in this country.  We buy our plots here and they belong to our family just like a farm or other real estate.  I understand in Europe they are more squeezed for space, but even then, to dispose of the headstones should be considered a crime, desecration of a grave or  something.    I hope this is an isolated incident.  If I find that has happened to any of my family, there will be litigation!

                    Pat Lyon