Three Texas Czech Books

  • Janecek
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2007

      These are three books that every TexasCzeck should be familiar.  The first book: Naše dějiny was published in Czech by the KJT.  The first part is about the Czech Moravian Communities in Texas.  Only this first part was translated by Father V. A. Svrček and this book is entitled: A history of the Czech-Moravian Catholic communities of Texas.  (Information below.)

      The second part of the book has a number of biological sketches of early Czechs who were active in the KJT.  There is a sketch of my grandfather Jindrich (Henry) Janeček  which I translated.  There are also sketches of V.J. (John) Janeček  of Shiner, my great uncle and a supreme officer of the KJT, his was the first funeral I remember as a small child – my father Joe was a pall bearer.  Bios of Josef Jasek of Praha, the husband of my great aunt Mary (Janecek Janeek), and many other.  My grandmother – Mary (Berckenhoff) Janeček is also mention in reference to the formation of the KJZT.  I would hope the rest of the book would be translated into English.

      The second book: mentioned below is a translation of the first part of  Naše dějiny.

      The third book listed below is CZECH VOICES: stories from Texas in the Amerikán Národní Kalendář / translated and edited by Clinton Machann and James W. Mendl, Jr.  There is a chapter in the book about a group of Texas Czechs and Germans who are dodging the Confederate draft by going into Bagdad, Mexico –just across the border from Brownsville and among them was Joseph Hajek.  In  about 1956 I remember my Uncle Henry telling me that my  great grandmother –Therezie (Hajek) Berckenhoff’s brother Joseph Hajek was avoiding the draft – he told me he would plow the field dress in women’s clothes as a disguise from the Confederate soldiers looking for recruits.

      HOW TO GET YOUR HANDS ON THESE BOOKS:

      Check your libraries, especially the universities, colleges, public, etc., in your area for these books.  If they do not have them, check if your public or college library can borrow the books through inter-library loan.  With this information a library should be able to find the books.

      Good luck!

      P. Fred

      UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS – AUSTIN LIBRARY

      Corporate author

      Národní svaz Českých Katolíků v Texas.

      Title

      ‪"Naše dějiny‪" / sestavil a vydává Národní svaz Českých Katolíků v Texas.

      Imprint

      Granger, Tex. : Tiskem časopisu ‪"Našinec‪", 1939.

      Description

      718 p. : ill., ports. ; 24 cm.

      Note

      Includes index.

      Subject

      Národní svaz Českých Katolíků v Texas.

      Czechs -- Texas.

      Catholic Church -- Texas.

      OCLC number

      4304971

      Location

      Call No.

      Current Status

        PCL Stacks

       F 395 B67 N3

        AVAILABLE

        PCL Stacks

       F 395 B67 N3     c.2

        AVAILABLE

        PCL Stacks

       F 395 B67 N3     c.3

        AVAILABLE

        PCL Stacks

       F 395 B67 N3     c.4

        LOST BILLED

        Center for American History TXC-ZZ Collection

       TZZ 282 N167N

        LIB USE ONLY

        Center for American History

       282 N167N     c.3

        LIB USE ONLY

        Center for American History

       282 N167N     c.4

        LIB USE ONLY

      UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS – AUSTIN LIBRARY

      Corporate author

      National Alliance of Bohemian Catholics of America.

      Title

      A history of the Czech-Moravian Catholic communities of Texas / translated and edited by V. A. Svrcek.

      Edition

      [Limited ed. of 500 copies].

      Imprint

      Waco, Tex. : Texian Press, c1974.

      Description

      xxviii, 220 p., [4] leaves of plates : ports. ; 24 cm.

      Note

      Translation of Nase Dejiny, published in 1939 by Nasinec Pub. Co., Granger, Texas.

      Editor's autograph copy.

      Subject

      Czech Americans -- Texas.

      Catholics, Czech -- United States.