Re: [TexasCzechs] Czech Soup Variety

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 5, 2007
      Elaine, This looks good.  During the winter between chili, brown gravy stew, chicken noodle soup, chicken and sausage gumbo, lima beans and sausage, chili beans, and tortilla soup I wanted to make something different this year.paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 5, 2007
        this sounds really good. Next time i make homemade bread i am making this...lois petter pereira

        G Martisek <gerri@...> wrote:
        This is not an original Czech recipe--but good non the less.

        4 cups water
        1 cup milk
        1 can cream of chicken soup
        2 tablespoons chopped onion (I omit)
        4 chicken bouillon cubes
        1 32-oz bag frozen hashbrown potatoes
        l lb. velvetta - I use only about 1/4 - 1/3 lb. Recently I used the
        Mexican variety and it was very good - added a little spice.

        1 1/2 cup chopped cooked ham - optional
        parsley flakes - optional

        Bring water, milk, and cream of chicken soup to boil. Add onion,
        chicken bouillon, and hashbrown potatoes. Cook over low heat until
        potatoes are tender (20-25 minutes). Add velvetta cheese and cook until
        melted. Add ham. Sprinkle with parsley flakes.

        As indicated above, I make with less cheese and usually do not add the
        ham, onions, or parsley. Great with crusty bread and easy to make.
        Regular potatoes could be substituted, but you would need to chop into
        small pieces.

        Gerri

        pfoster wrote:

        > It did make a great soup! Never had potato soup. Sounds Good. Do
        > you have a receipe? According to Grandmamma potatos were for boiling
        > or roasting or salade with a roast never fried or baked. paulasmaggie.

        Lois Petter Pereira
      • texasjoe43
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Elaine Hicks"
          <elainehicks@...> wrote:
          Thought you all might enjoy the lyrics to this Shel Silverstein song
          about the wonderful soup stone. I like the story about the soldiers
          and the stones, but here is an alternative idea about it. I really
          like this sung by Bobby Bare.

          The Wonderful Soup Stone (Shel Silverstein)

          I swear you could taste the chicken and tomatoes
          And the noodles and the marrow bone
          But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
          And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

          Hangin' from a string in my momma's kitchen
          Back in the hard time days
          Was a little ol' stone 'bout the size of an apple
          It was smooth and worn and gray.

          There wadn't much food in my momma's kitchen
          So whenever things got tight
          Momma'd boil up some water put in the stone
          Say let's have some soup tonight.

          And I swear you could taste the chicken and tomatoes
          And the noodles and the marrow bone
          But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
          And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

          It'd been in the family for a whole lotta years
          So we knew it was a nourishing thing
          And I remember momma as she stirred it in the water
          And we could all hear her sing.

          It's a magical stone and as long as we got it
          We'll never have a hungry night
          Just add a little love to the wonderful soup stone
          And everything'll be all right.

          And I swear you could taste the chicken and tomatoes
          And the noodles and the marrow bone
          But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
          And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

          So it carried us all through the darkenin' days
          Till finally the sunshine came
          And the soup stone started in a gatherin' dust
          But it hung there just the same.

          But ever since then Lord the food's been plenty
          And ever now and then I find
          That momma in the kitchen and the wonderful soup stone
          Drifts across my mind.

          And again I'd taste, taste the chicken and tomatoes
          And the noodles and the marrow bone
          But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
          And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

          We were nourished by the wonderful soup stone.
          Oh, the wonderful, wonderful soup stone...

        • Jim & Elaine Hicks
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
            Enjoyed the Shel Siverstein song.  Thanks!