Re: [TexasCzechs]Potato Soup Recipe

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 5, 2007
      Geri, Thank-You.  My husband loves Potato Soup.  I have never made it just opened a can.  This would make a good meal. paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 5, 2007
        Elaine, This looks good.  During the winter between chili, brown gravy stew, chicken noodle soup, chicken and sausage gumbo, lima beans and sausage, chili beans, and tortilla soup I wanted to make something different this year.paulasmaggie
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 5, 2007
          this sounds really good. Next time i make homemade bread i am making this...lois petter pereira

          pfoster wrote:

          > It did make a great soup! Never had potato soup. Sounds Good. Do
          > you have a receipe? According to Grandmamma potatos were for boiling
          > or roasting or salade with a roast never fried or baked. paulasmaggie.

          Lois Petter Pereira
        • texasjoe43
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Elaine Hicks"
            <elainehicks@...> wrote:
            Thought you all might enjoy the lyrics to this Shel Silverstein song
            about the wonderful soup stone. I like the story about the soldiers
            and the stones, but here is an alternative idea about it. I really
            like this sung by Bobby Bare.

            The Wonderful Soup Stone (Shel Silverstein)

            I swear you could taste the chicken and tomatoes
            And the noodles and the marrow bone
            But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
            And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

            Hangin' from a string in my momma's kitchen
            Back in the hard time days
            Was a little ol' stone 'bout the size of an apple
            It was smooth and worn and gray.

            There wadn't much food in my momma's kitchen
            So whenever things got tight
            Momma'd boil up some water put in the stone
            Say let's have some soup tonight.

            And I swear you could taste the chicken and tomatoes
            And the noodles and the marrow bone
            But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
            And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

            It'd been in the family for a whole lotta years
            So we knew it was a nourishing thing
            And I remember momma as she stirred it in the water
            And we could all hear her sing.

            It's a magical stone and as long as we got it
            We'll never have a hungry night
            Just add a little love to the wonderful soup stone
            And everything'll be all right.

            And I swear you could taste the chicken and tomatoes
            And the noodles and the marrow bone
            But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
            And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

            So it carried us all through the darkenin' days
            Till finally the sunshine came
            And the soup stone started in a gatherin' dust
            But it hung there just the same.

            But ever since then Lord the food's been plenty
            And ever now and then I find
            That momma in the kitchen and the wonderful soup stone
            Drifts across my mind.

            And again I'd taste, taste the chicken and tomatoes
            And the noodles and the marrow bone
            But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
            And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

            We were nourished by the wonderful soup stone.
            Oh, the wonderful, wonderful soup stone...

          • Jim & Elaine Hicks
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
              Enjoyed the Shel Siverstein song.  Thanks!