translation

  • catspa37@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 14, 2001
      I hope this message gets through. For some reason my emails to the list
      have not gotten through and I'm trying a differnt way this time.
      To the person looking for a translation of "popis osoby". An old
      dictionary I have translates it as: popis=list, inventory, census,
      catalogue, writing. And osoby=passenger (this also seems to be the
      context in which it is used in those reprints of old steamship ads in
      Leo Baca's books). So I think "popis osoby" might mean something like
      "from the passenger's letter" or "from the passenger's papers" or
      "from the passenger's writing". And then again, it might not. Thanks
      for your interesting story.
      ALReznicek
    • mrbkdb112@cs.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 29, 2001
        Does anyone in the group do translations from Czech to English? I have a one page letter,written on both sides from Rokycany,Cz.Rep.

        Millie
      • Ruzena Hlozik
        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 7, 2001

          Millie, I will be glad to translate the letter for you. My e-mail is ruzenah@....

          Rose

            mrbkdb112@... wrote:

          Does anyone in the group do translations from Czech to English? I have a one page letter,written on both sides from Rokycany,Cz.Rep.

          Millie

          Do You Yahoo!?
          NEW from Yahoo! GeoCities - quick and easy web site hosting, just $8.95/month. Yahoo! by Phone.

        • mrbkdb112@cs.com
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 18 7:07 AM
            I have a letter from a man who lives in Rokycany that is written in Czech and need to have it translated. barbigirl in Prague offered to do it, but she got busy and said in the interest of time it would be better if I found someone else.

            The letter is one page on both sides. I hope someone can help me.

            Thanks....Millie
          • Marek Schimara
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 19 12:16 AM
              Hello,

              I can do it 4 U
              Marek

            • mrbkdb112@cs.com
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 19 8:02 AM
                Thanks,Marek.

                Here it is. You can bill me for your time. Just email the amount and your address.

                I really appreciate this. Oh, how I wish I knew the language.....
              • mrbkdb112@cs.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 19 8:02 AM
                  page 2
                • Ekor8@AOL.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 17, 2007
                    ...........KVE = kveten - May
                  • Pat Lyon
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 17, 2007
                      Thanks.  I have Marenka for May.

                      Pat
                    • Lois Petter Pereira
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 19, 2007
                        Do you know what the abbreviation is for June and July since Cerven and Cervenec is so similar ?   lois petter pereira

                        Ekor8@... wrote:
                        ...........KVE = kveten - May

                        Lois Petter Pereira
                      • Kay
                        Message 11 of 22 , Feb 17, 2007
                          I'd like to know the English translation for a word that is
                          phonetically pronounced 'Ko cha' (Ko as in 'cot', and cha as in,
                          well, 'cha cha' <g>), with the emphasis on the first syllable.

                          It's a word from my childhood, and I'd love to know what it means.

                          Thanks!
                          Kay
                        • paulasmaggie
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 17, 2007
                            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Kay" <mommakay77@...> wrote:

                            > I'd like to know the English translation for a word that is
                            > phonetically pronounced 'Ko cha' (Ko as in 'cot', and cha as in,
                            > well, 'cha cha' <g>), with the emphasis on the first syllable.
                            >
                            > It's a word from my childhood, and I'd love to know what it means.
                            >
                            > Thanks!
                            > Kay
                            They day my Poppa (grandfather) say my daughter I had handed her to
                            him on her stomach. He laughed and said Kocha. My grandmamma who was
                            Moravian said "that means wobbly duck". We all called her that until
                            she became a teenager.

                          • Joyce Janicek

                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 18, 2007
                                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Joyce Janicek" <jjanicek@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Could it be 'cat'?
                                >
                                > On 2/17/07, Kay <mommakay77@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I'd like to know the English translation for a word that is
                                > > phonetically pronounced 'Ko cha' (Ko as in 'cot', and cha as in,
                                > > well, 'cha cha' <g>), with the emphasis on the first syllable.
                                > >
                                > > It's a word from my childhood, and I'd love to know what it
                                means.

                                > > Thanks!
                                > > Kay
                                > >
                                > > We always spelled it Kotcha. That might not be the correct
                                spelling it has been 26 years. I just remember the moment and the
                                meaning of the word. pfoster

                              • marcela kourkova

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Feb 19, 2007
                                    My father-in-law will be happy...I called him and asked him if he remembered the word.  When he ws younger they still used a lot of Czech around the house.
                                    JOyce Janicek

                                    yes, it is a cat.

                                  • livanec@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 19, 2007
                                      Cat is spelled Kocka (with hacek above the C) in Czech.
                                    • Ludwick & Shirley Kurtz
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 21, 2007
                                        That is what my Mom always called my Sister, who was named Katherine...... we called her Kat.
                                      • Nancy Callan
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 6, 2008
                                          I need help translating a post card. I've posted it on photos, in the album necallan. It's
                                          written in pencil and is very hard to see but, I'm hoping someone with good eyes can help.
                                          Thanks, Nancy
                                        • Jana Vaculik
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 7, 2008
                                            FYI: This postcard has both Texas Czech and Czech words mixed together.

                                            Dear cousins Eddie and Rosie,

                                            Marguerite sends this to you so you all would see how she fared/ended
                                            up and mother. Also the teacher Miss Anastasia Bordovska who you know
                                            from Kost.

                                            So with heartfelt greetings with kisses to Rosinka
                                            Always your cousin(female),

                                            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy Callan" <necallan@...> wrote:

                                            > I need help translating a post card. I've posted it on photos, in
                                            the album necallan. It's
                                            > written in pencil and is very hard to see but, I'm hoping someone
                                            with good eyes can help.
                                            > Thanks, Nancy

                                          • nancy callan
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 7, 2008
                                              I couldn't figure out much because of the Texas Czech and Czech words mixing...I'm glad you can.  I know I'll have some more puzzles to translate...thanks so much.  Nancy

                                              On Nov 7, 2008, at 3:05 PM, Jana Vaculik wrote:

                                              FYI: This postcard has both Texas Czech and Czech words mixed together.

                                              Dear cousins Eddie and Rosie,

                                              Marguerite sends this to you so you all would see how she fared/ended
                                              up and mother. Also the teacher Miss Anastasia Bordovska who you know
                                              from Kost.

                                              So with heartfelt greetings with kisses to Rosinka
                                              Always your cousin(female) ,

                                              --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "Nancy Callan" <necallan@.. .> wrote:

                                              > I need help translating a post card. I've posted it on photos, in
                                              the album necallan. It's
                                              > written in pencil and is very hard to see but, I'm hoping someone
                                              with good eyes can help.
                                              > Thanks, Nancy

                                            • Joe Levek
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 20, 2010
                                                Seeking translation of the following words on my great grandmothers tombstone.

                                                 "Pod ochranu Tvoy Zílriumriti poprcj nam o Jezisí S Bohem odpocivc nase mila manzellio z Malinko.".

                                                Joe Levek