Re: [TexasCzechs] Czech Soup Variety

  • pfoster
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
      Yes, Guinee (hope I have this spelled right).  Instead of using a nice fat hen, Grandmamma made her noodle soup with a Guinee. paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
      • livanec@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 3, 2007
           There many "Czech" soups. (Czech Republic not Tex-Czech) Two of my favorites are Garlic soup (poor man's soup) and Zeli or kapustova polevka, cabbage soup. There are many more.

          There is a great cook book available written by two Czech Republic chefs's Tomas & Marcella Klima. The title of the book is"Czech family Cook Book Cooking with the Klimas" They now live in the USA.

          Allen L.

        • Lois Petter Pereira
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
            How could I forget? Those darn guineas would roam free and could be heard for miles when someone approached. Makes you wonder how they got close enough to butcher them.....lois petter pereira
            ps they were the Czechs early alarm system

            David Weise <dweise48@...> wrote:

            Lois Petter Pereira
          • pfoster
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
              It did make a great soup!  Never had potato soup.  Sounds Good.  Do you have a receipe?   According to Grandmamma potatos were for boiling or roasting or salade with a roast never fried or baked. paulasmaggie.
              How could I forget? Those darn guineas would roam free and could be heard for miles when someone approached. Makes you wonder how they got close enough to butcher them.....lois petter pereira
              ps they were the Czechs early alarm system

              David Weise <dweise48@classicnet .net> wrote:

              Lois Petter Pereira

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • Pat Lyon
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
                We always had guineas on the farm but they roamed wherever they wanted and made a lot of noise.  I always thought they were pretty birds.  But I did not remember us eating them.  I asked my mom.  I came along in 1946 so I did not get in on the early days.  They married in 1932 and she said she used to cook lots of guineas.  As with many other things, they no longer had to do that by the time I came along.  My sister probably remembered.  She was 13 years older.
                Pat Lyon
              • G Martisek
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007
                  This is not an original Czech recipe--but good non the less.

                  4 cups water
                  1 cup milk
                  1 can cream of chicken soup
                  2 tablespoons chopped onion (I omit)
                  4 chicken bouillon cubes
                  1 32-oz bag frozen hashbrown potatoes
                  l lb. velvetta - I use only about 1/4 - 1/3 lb. Recently I used the
                  Mexican variety and it was very good - added a little spice.

                  1 1/2 cup chopped cooked ham - optional
                  parsley flakes - optional

                  Bring water, milk, and cream of chicken soup to boil. Add onion,
                  chicken bouillon, and hashbrown potatoes. Cook over low heat until
                  potatoes are tender (20-25 minutes). Add velvetta cheese and cook until
                  melted. Add ham. Sprinkle with parsley flakes.

                  As indicated above, I make with less cheese and usually do not add the
                  ham, onions, or parsley. Great with crusty bread and easy to make.
                  Regular potatoes could be substituted, but you would need to chop into
                  small pieces.

                  Gerri

                  pfoster wrote:

                  > It did make a great soup! Never had potato soup. Sounds Good. Do
                  > you have a receipe? According to Grandmamma potatos were for boiling
                  > or roasting or salade with a roast never fried or baked. paulasmaggie.

                • Jim & Elaine Hicks
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2007

                    Here is a recipe for potato soup.  Not sure this is how my mother made hers but I made up this recipe based upon what I remembered her doing.  I added the milk after I married because that's the way my husband's family made it and I abandoned the vinegar.  My husband's family is NOT Czech and they had a potato soup so I think it is not just Czech.

                    POTATO SOUP

                    “STONE SOUP”

                              2 Tablespoons butter or margarine

                              1 stalk celery, sliced thinly

                              1/2 small onion, chopped finely

                              4 or 5 potatoes, peeled and cubed

                              4 cups water

                              4 chicken bullion cubes

                              salt & pepper to taste

                              1 cup milk  OPTIONAL

                    1.    Melt butter in large saucepan, add sliced celery and chopped onion.

                    2.    Sauté until the vegetables are soft.

                    3.    Add cubed potatoes, 4 cups water, and the bullion cubes.

                    4.    Simmer until potatoes are soft but not mushy.

                    5.    Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes just a little bit, you want to leave some potato cubes for interest and to be the “stones.”

                    6.    Add milk if desired.

                    7.    Check for salt and pepper and heat to serving temperature but DO NOT boil.  If you add the milk, don’t season with vinegar because the vinegar will curdle the milk.

                    8.    Leftovers can be gently reheated on stove or in microwave.

                    Note:  When you had very little to cook otherwise, you could always make potato soup for supper.  A splash of vinegar could be added after ladling soup into serving dishes to “pep” up the soup.

                    My husband’s family called this Stone Soup because of the potato cubes in the soup and after the children’s story of the same name in which some soldiers trick the villagers into donating the ingredients for a big pot of soup by saying that they could make soup using just rocks and water.  After setting a big kettle of water to boil and adding some rocks, the soldiers told the villagers that the soup would certainly be better if a few carrots were added, then if a few pieces of beef, etc.

                    It did make a great soup!  Never had potato soup.  Sounds Good.  Do you have a receipe?   According to Grandmamma potatos were for boiling or roasting or salade with a roast never fried or baked. paulasmaggie.
                    -----

                  • pfoster
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2007
                      Geri, Thank-You.  My husband loves Potato Soup.  I have never made it just opened a can.  This would make a good meal. paulasmaggie

                      pfoster wrote:

                      > It did make a great soup! Never had potato soup. Sounds Good. Do
                      > you have a receipe? According to Grandmamma potatos were for boiling
                      > or roasting or salade with a roast never fried or baked. paulasmaggie.

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    • pfoster

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 5, 2007
                          this sounds really good. Next time i make homemade bread i am making this...lois petter pereira

                          pfoster wrote:

                          > It did make a great soup! Never had potato soup. Sounds Good. Do
                          > you have a receipe? According to Grandmamma potatos were for boiling
                          > or roasting or salade with a roast never fried or baked. paulasmaggie.

                          Lois Petter Pereira
                        • texasjoe43
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
                            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Jim & Elaine Hicks"
                            <elainehicks@...> wrote:
                            Thought you all might enjoy the lyrics to this Shel Silverstein song
                            about the wonderful soup stone. I like the story about the soldiers
                            and the stones, but here is an alternative idea about it. I really
                            like this sung by Bobby Bare.

                            The Wonderful Soup Stone (Shel Silverstein)

                            I swear you could taste the chicken and tomatoes
                            And the noodles and the marrow bone
                            But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
                            And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

                            Hangin' from a string in my momma's kitchen
                            Back in the hard time days
                            Was a little ol' stone 'bout the size of an apple
                            It was smooth and worn and gray.

                            There wadn't much food in my momma's kitchen
                            So whenever things got tight
                            Momma'd boil up some water put in the stone
                            Say let's have some soup tonight.

                            And I swear you could taste the chicken and tomatoes
                            And the noodles and the marrow bone
                            But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
                            And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

                            It'd been in the family for a whole lotta years
                            So we knew it was a nourishing thing
                            And I remember momma as she stirred it in the water
                            And we could all hear her sing.

                            It's a magical stone and as long as we got it
                            We'll never have a hungry night
                            Just add a little love to the wonderful soup stone
                            And everything'll be all right.

                            And I swear you could taste the chicken and tomatoes
                            And the noodles and the marrow bone
                            But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
                            And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

                            So it carried us all through the darkenin' days
                            Till finally the sunshine came
                            And the soup stone started in a gatherin' dust
                            But it hung there just the same.

                            But ever since then Lord the food's been plenty
                            And ever now and then I find
                            That momma in the kitchen and the wonderful soup stone
                            Drifts across my mind.

                            And again I'd taste, taste the chicken and tomatoes
                            And the noodles and the marrow bone
                            But it really wadn't nothin' but some water and potatoes
                            And the wonderful wonderful soup stone.

                            We were nourished by the wonderful soup stone.
                            Oh, the wonderful, wonderful soup stone...

                          • Jim & Elaine Hicks
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 7, 2007
                              Enjoyed the Shel Siverstein song.  Thanks!