Chicken Soup Variety

  • Jim & Elaine Hicks
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2007
      Although homemade egg noodles were the preferred addition to chicken soup, making egg noodles took a long time.  Sometimes to have chicken soup in a hurry, my mom would make a runny paste of egg yolks, salt and flour and drizzle this paste into boiling chicken broth.  This produced a soup that was a lot like the Chinese egg drop soup.  Still very tasty!

      We often had potato soup on Friday nights, no milk was used, and then we added vinegar to taste.  You know what would happen if you added vinegar to a soup with milk.

      Does the member below know about the Soup Tasting that's held in Houston each year.  Wish I wasn't so far away and could go to that at least once.

      Elaine Naiser Hicks

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2007
         The Texas Czech Heritage Society (Harris county chapter) has soup tasting events. Check their web site.

      • Lois Petter Pereira

          With all the communication about chicken soup, chicken noodle soup, chicken soup with chicken feet, chicken soup with floating chicken necks, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera, on the surface one would be led to believe that the czechs were a one soup barnyard country .... isn't there any other delicious soup that might occasionally have been prepared just for variety if nothing else.
          just wondering "why chicken soup", "where will it all end"?
          uz to slomi moje srdce!
          FJ

          See what's new at http://www.aol. com

          Lois Petter Pereira