Re: [TexasCzechs] Kovar Family Name

  • Mary J. Heard
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 9, 2007
      I have a great-grandfather, Martin Supak born 1819, who immigrated arriving in Galveston in 1855.  His first wife Marina Orsak died shortly after arriving and in 1858 he married Anna Kovar who had lost her husband John Kovar.  If this fits your family e-mail me privately telling me what you need.

      The name Kovar was written Kovarik in some paperwork by some family members but we believe it is in error because it does not appear that way on any paperwork they brought with them from Novy Hrozenkov, Moravia.

      The Supak name has several spellings however the spelling depends on whether the scribe was German or Moravian.  The German spelling is either Shupak or Schupak.  The Moravian spelling is Supak.

      The immigration clerks in Galveston did not depend on what they heard, they copied what was written on the paperwork the immigrant brought with him and showed the clerk as they were admitted.  Most errors were in deciphering the handwiting on the paperwork.

      M J Heard <mjhawhjr@...>