RE: [TexasCzechs] Re: svrcek index--marek entries

  • DFC
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 6, 2007
    • janapivec
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "DFC" <dofrco@...> wrote:

        > Jana,
        > Would you please post the entry for… Marek, Vinc: 143
        > Thanks so much,
        > Doris Barton

        With pleasure :-)
        pg. 143 (Penelope entry): "It was aroung 1890 when the first Czech
        families moved to this part of the state. Most of them came from
        nearby West, some 14 miles to the west in McLennan County. We read the
        names of John Urbis, John Cocek; Charles Snapka; Frank Kolacek; Edward
        Snapka; Frank Cocek; Frank Cernosek; Anton Cernosek; Frank Machac;
        Frank M. Novak; John Mikulik; Charles Horak; Vinc Marek and John
        Srubar."
      • pfoster
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
          Is the Svrcek Index Book available to Purchase?  In the Index would you please look-up the Valiguras.  paulasmaggie
        • Diann Biltz
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
            are there any Vavrusa or Wavrussa or Wawrussa in this index?

            Diann Biltz
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "pfoster" <pfosterbmt@...> wrote:

              > Is the Svrcek Index Book available to Purchase? In the Index would
              you please look-up the Valiguras. paulasmaggie

              I found it on ebay--

              Valigura, John 7 Joseph: 187
              pg. 187 (Taiton entry): "Mr. Charles Drastata writes in his
              parish `Notes': the first Czech-Moravian families – Frank Buzek and
              Anthony Hajovsky came to Taiton in 1890. From 1894 to 1899 came
              Bacak; John Pratka; Joseph, Anton and Ludwig Sliva. Ludwig Sumbera,
              Frank Krupa; John Najzer Sr., and his married son Edward, Frank
              Gurecky, Felix & Cyrill Stavinoha; Ignac Kahanek; Vincent Macek Sr.,
              Frank Drastata; Ignac Jurasek; John Merta; John Peter; Joseph Dluhos;
              Joseph Valigura; John Srubar; John Valigura; William Mazoch; John
              Holub; Frank Lichnovsky and Joseph Dorotik."

              I need to look these up---

              Valigura, Joseph: 118
              Valigura, Paul: 80

              Valigura, Stephen: 51
              pg. 51: "During the First World War a bronze plaque, value of $150.00
              was bought, carrying the names of soldiers of this parish, Alois
              Beran; Ondrey (Andrew) Beran; Robert Dobias; Frank Fried; John
              Genzer; Alfred Grigar; Frank Hlavinka; Vaclav Hradeckyky; John Janis;
              Joseph Jochec; Robert Jochec; John Kcera; Ladislav Mark; Edward
              Joseph Mueller; Joseph Petrash; John Polasek; Ignac Pustka; Frank
              Sasin; Alfred Staffa; Frank Staffa; Joseph Sulak; Peter Sulak; Frank
              Svec; Albert Sykora; John Tomasek; Stephen Valigura; Clement Vecera;
              Francis Vitek; Arnost Walzel; Ferdinand Wojtek; Frank Zapalac; with
              an inscription. 'They were ready to lay down their lives for their
              country, 1917 and 1918.'"
            • janapivec
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Diann Biltz" <diannbiltz@...>
                wrote:

                > are there any Vavrusa or Wavrussa or Wawrussa in this index?
                >
                > Diann Biltz
                None of the "W" variations, only the following:

                Vavrusa, Frank: 141 (same entry as Struhal, posted earlier)

                Pg. 141 (Olmus entry): "In the year of 1866, came to America with his
                parents, from Europe, Frank Sugarek, Sr. As a little boy. The family
                settled at High Hill near Schulenburg. Later moved to what is now
                known as Praha, Texas. In due time he married and farmed for a
                time. In the autumn of 1890 he moved to Bee County and settled on
                Olmus Ranch (Olomos), some 14 miles southwest of Beeville, Texas and
                six miles from Skidmore. He leased land from Joseph Bartos, who came
                here a year earlier from Weimar, Texas. Mr. Bartos was the first
                Czech settled here. With Frank Sugarek came Innocent Vrana, Anton
                Vrana, Frank Staf; Joseph Struhal, these latter ones later all moved
                to the state of Oklahoma. Joseph Bohac, Peter Nedbalek; Frank
                Vavrusa; Charles Sugarek and Dudek remained there."
              • pfoster
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                  I appreciate the information.paulasmaggie
                  > Is the Svrcek Index Book available to Purchase? In the Index would
                  you please look-up the Valiguras. paulasmaggie

                  I found it on ebay--

                  Valigura, John 7 Joseph: 187
                  pg. 187 (Taiton entry): "Mr. Charles Drastata writes in his
                  parish `Notes': the first Czech-Moravian families – Frank Buzek and
                  Anthony Hajovsky came to Taiton in 1890. From 1894 to 1899 came
                  Bacak; John Pratka; Joseph, Anton and Ludwig Sliva. Ludwig Sumbera,
                  Frank Krupa; John Najzer Sr., and his married son Edward, Frank
                  Gurecky, Felix & Cyrill Stavinoha; Ignac Kahanek; Vincent Macek Sr.,
                  Frank Drastata; Ignac Jurasek; John Merta; John Peter; Joseph Dluhos;
                  Joseph Valigura; John Srubar; John Valigura; William Mazoch; John
                  Holub; Frank Lichnovsky and Joseph Dorotik."

                  I need to look these up---

                  Valigura, Joseph: 118
                  Valigura, Paul: 80

                  Valigura, Stephen: 51
                  pg. 51: "During the First World War a bronze plaque, value of $150.00
                  was bought, carrying the names of soldiers of this parish, Alois
                  Beran; Ondrey (Andrew) Beran; Robert Dobias; Frank Fried; John
                  Genzer; Alfred Grigar; Frank Hlavinka; Vaclav Hradeckyky; John Janis;
                  Joseph Jochec; Robert Jochec; John Kcera; Ladislav Mark; Edward
                  Joseph Mueller; Joseph Petrash; John Polasek; Ignac Pustka; Frank
                  Sasin; Alfred Staffa; Frank Staffa; Joseph Sulak; Peter Sulak; Frank
                  Svec; Albert Sykora; John Tomasek; Stephen Valigura; Clement Vecera;
                  Francis Vitek; Arnost Walzel; Ferdinand Wojtek; Frank Zapalac; with
                  an inscription. 'They were ready to lay down their lives for their
                  country, 1917 and 1918.'"

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                • littlesong.glassgirl
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                    I noticed you mentioned Joseph Macek, Sr.
                    He might be my g-g-grandfather. I am looking for Joseph Matcek (Macek)
                    who was born in Moravia in Aug. 1849 and came to U.S. in 1874.
                    He married Frantiska Sweda in Fayettville 6/28/1874.
                    He died in Caldwell, TX in 1934.
                    If you or anyone has any additional information, I would be most grateful.
                    Yours,
                    Denise
                  • Terri Billeck
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                      In the index, it shows John Bilek (Billeck) on page
                      78. Can you please tell me what it says about him, or
                      where to find the info on my next trip to TX.?

                    • janapivec
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 9, 2007

                        > I need to look these up---
                        >
                        > Valigura, Joseph: 118
                        Pg. 118 (Jourdanton entry): "In 1919 came Joseph Valigura and in 1920
                        Cyrill Stavinoha."

                        > Valigura, Paul: 80
                        Pg. 80 (Fort Worth entry); "The first Czech Catholic—seems to have
                        been the Paul Valigura family. They came here from Velke-Karlovice in
                        Moravia. The Valigura family arrived about the year of 1880. mr.
                        Valigura worked on a railroad construction job. He then moved to Vox
                        Populi now called Garwood, Texas. There he farmed. He died in 1934
                        at the venerable age of 90 years."
                      • janapivec
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 9, 2007
                          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Terri Billeck <billeckfamily@...>
                          wrote:

                          > In the index, it shows John Bilek (Billeck) on page
                          > 78. Can you please tell me what it says about him, or
                          > where to find the info on my next trip to TX.?

                          pg. 77-78 (Flatonia entry): "The community of Flatonia, has its origin
                          from 1874 when the railroad extended its tracks from Houston to San
                          Antonio, Texas. . . The first Czech Catholic settlers were Frank
                          Pinter a tinsmith; Joseph Sander, inkeeper [sic]. Later came Jiri
                          (George) Matula now living in Yoakum; then Frank Fojtik, a
                          druggist.. . Business came to Flatonia from 25 miles around and for
                          that reason it grew very fast. At this time, many Czech families came
                          from Europe and not knowing the English language -- many of the
                          business places had hired clerks who had the duty of attending these
                          countrymen. These first assisting clerks were Edward Boehm, Jakub
                          Slama; Frank Simecek; August Gallia; Anton Fojtik; John Bilek; Jack
                          Nikl; Mathew and Albert Kubena.
                        • pfoster
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 9, 2007
                            I appreciate it.  Now the fun part begains.  Cousin Pat and I just have to figure where he goes on the family quilt.  This is the best part of researching, at least I think so.  Cannot answer for Cousin Pat since I am guilty of "over-loading" on paper trails and going into left field sometimes.  paulasmaggie

                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 9, 2007
                            • Pat Lyon
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 12, 2007
                                Bernard and my best friend forgot my birthday! boo hoo.  Actually Bernadette's card is probably late but she didn't call which is unusual.  Bernard gives me something from time-to-time and says it's "for my birthday" so I get birthday from him all year long.  I got lots of calls and cards and mom had a friend pick up some flowers and a card for me.  So I had a nice full day.  I'll probably still get cards the rest of the week.  That's the way it usually goes.  Thanks for calling me.  I'll look forward to celebrating when we are together.