Re: svrcek index-Valek entries

  • janapivec
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
      Here ya go!

      > there are these entries (the numbers are page numbers):
      > >
      > > Valek: 22
      > > Valek, Joe A.: 67
      > > Valek, John: 24, 67
      > > Valek, Joseph: 63, 68

      pg. 22 (Cameron entry): "Some Czech-Catholics came in 1887. Roman
      Parma was still living at the time this page of history was written.
      He says of himself, ". . . I moved to Cameron in 1887. . . Later more
      families arrived from other parts of the state and also from Europe.
      Families like: Motocha, Stoklas, Valek, Mondrik and as the number of
      Czech-Catholics increased a Czech priest visited here occassionally
      [sic]. Such as Father Joseph Pelnar, Father Pridal and Karel Kacer.
      First baptism on the books of the parish are twins born to the
      Mondrik family from Marak. They were baptized Amalia and Teresie on
      November 24, 1884 by father J. Lauth, the first appointed pastor for
      this parish."

      Pg. 24 (Cistern entry): "Even before 1881 some Czech families settled
      here: -- Antonin Ferdinand, Frank and John Psencik, Mathew and Joseph
      Ziegelbauer, Frantisek Holub, John Machacek. Sr., John Machacek Jr.,
      Frank Hanzelka, Adolph Kreml, Vincent and Joseph Maresh, Antonin
      Hybner and John Valek."

      Pg. 63 (Ennis entry): "The first Czech came here from Europe, as far
      as the records do show, was John Jacob (Jakub) Sebesta from Netolice
      Ceske Budejovice in the year of 1873. At that time Ennis was a mere
      village with some stores. Round and about town was a wild prairie,
      covered with tall grasses. Here and there perhaps some thick forests.
      There were no roads nor any fences. Two years later, 1875,few
      families came from England and France. Also the families of
      Bartholomew Lanicky from Zdanice near Brno, who had lived 3 years in
      Bryan and then moved here. The following year two more families
      arrived. This handful of settlers gave the nucleus to a new parish.
      They bought an old house and remodelled it into a smal [sic] church.
      Father Tion came from Corsicana every second Sunday and said Holy
      Mass for the people. One of the English families donated two acres of
      land for a cemetery. In the coming years the country showed fast
      growth, some Czech families came from Gainsville, Cook County, and
      again others came from Europe—among these were the families of John
      Patril, John Vrla, John Vrana, John Dlabay, Joseph Haba, Frank
      Drajca, Joseph Valek, Joseph Novosad, Joseph Vitovsky, John Vlk, John
      Mach, John Langer, and Frank Patak. Most of these have passed away
      by this time."

      Pg. 67 (Ennis entry): "History records of the parish show that in the
      beginning of the century – the Czech Catholics came to a very
      important decision – to separate themselves from the other
      nationalities of the parish and organize a Czech parish of their
      own. Thus they also organized their own school. This also gave rise
      to the resolution to unite themselves into societies of their own.
      Thus in the year of 1900 on the 15th of August, the St. Joseph's
      K.J.T. #35 was organized. Its original members were John Patak, John
      Slovacek, Joseph Vitovsky, Joseph Vrana, Joseph Slovacek, John Luza,
      Joseph Jaresh, John Krajca. The first elected officers were: Francis
      Mikula, president; John Valek, sick committee.

      Pg. 67 (Ennis entry): "In 1935 the K.J.T. Society celebrated its 35th
      Jubilee of existence. . . . At the time of the writing of these lines
      the officers are; Father Vincent Micola, Chaplain; I. J. Parma,
      president; Frank. K. Spaniel, vice president; Joseph Odlozil,
      secretary; Joe A. Valek, accountant; J. B. Kulhanek, treasurer; John
      Lanicek, representative, . . . "

      Pg. 68 (Ennis entry, subhead History of S. Peter & Paul Society #83
      (Prvni Ustredni Jednota) The First Central Union): "In the annals of
      St. John Nepomucenus parish of Ennis, we read that in 1883, a society
      of Ss. Peter and Paul was organized. Our countrymen arriving here
      without any knowledge of the language of the country- difficulty in
      communication with others-for that purpose they had organized into a
      group-tightly knitted together for their social and religious
      benefits. They formed this society to be able better to communicate
      with each other and other branches of the society, in other parts of
      this their new country. Thus, the St. John Nepomucenus society was
      the first one herabouts. The founders of this society were - John
      Sebesta, Frank Patak, John Plasek, Joseph Valek and Bartholomew
      Lanicek. At this time all of these good men are resting there in that
      consecrated ground - our cemetery. . . At present there are 28
      members living, Father Francis Kowalski, chaplain; Alois Kuchar,
      president; Richard Kriska, vice-president; Joseph R. Slovak,
      secretary; Stanislav Kriska, financial-secretary; Ferdinand Petrash,
      treasurer and representative."
    • michelle
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > communication with others-for that purpose they had organized into
        > group-tightly knitted together for their social and religious
        > benefits. They formed this society to be able better to communicate
        > with each other and other branches of the society, in other parts
        of
        > this their new country. Thus, the St. John Nepomucenus society was
        > the first one herabouts. The founders of this society were - John
        > Sebesta, Frank Patak, John Plasek, Joseph Valek and Bartholomew
        > Lanicek. At this time all of these good men are resting there in
        that
        > consecrated ground - our cemetery. . . At present there are 28
        > members living, Father Francis Kowalski, chaplain; Alois Kuchar,
        > president; Richard Kriska, vice-president; Joseph R. Slovak,
        > secretary; Stanislav Kriska, financial-secretary; Ferdinand

        I have to be honest - I slept through most of my History classes. I
        have learned more history through doing genealogy than I ever learned
        in school. Just don't ask me to take a test!

        Thank you for the information AND for making an index for such an
        interesting piece of history. I am sure MANY researchers appreciate
        it.

        Michelle

      • Dennis Owen
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
          Jana,

          Are there any TRLICA's in the book?

          Thanks. Dennis

          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

          > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "michelle" <r-mbeeman@> wrote:
          > >
          > > WHAT is the Svrcek Index and what information can I learn from
          it??

          > Hi, Michelle. the 'Svrcek Index' is an index I did of a book
          > published in 1939, translated and edited by the Rev. V. A. Svrcek,
          > entitled "A History of the Czech-Moravian Catholic Communities of
          > Texas". It is organized by community, and has wonderful stories,
          but
          > made me nuts because there was no index. So I did one--imperfect,
          > know--I have been chastised for my typos.
          >
          > Anyway, If there are names in the index that you want to see the
          > entries for, let me know, and I will post the text of the entries.
          > think there are a couple of other people on the list that also have
          > the book.
          >
          > Best wishes, jana-p

        • Nangotoo
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
            Anything about the RECEK family?  That would be in the Fayette Co area or maybe even some in the Shiner area.
            Nan

            .

          • Robert Coiteux
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
              Anything about Polacek(Polasek) and or Klacman from moravia-Vsetin?

              Blessings and Bounty

              Tammy
            • janapivec
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Owen" <dh-owen@...> wrote:

                > Jana,
                >
                > Are there any TRLICA's in the book?
                >
                > Thanks. Dennis

                Only the following--interested?

                Trlicek, Jaroslav: 7
                Trlicek, Joseph: 7
              • janapivec
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Nangotoo" <nangotoo@...> wrote:

                  > Anything about the RECEK family? That would be in the Fayette Co
                  area or maybe even some in the Shiner area.
                  > Nan

                  This is the closest to Recek I found:
                  Rusek, Ignac: 15
                  Rusek, Joseph: 175, 176
                  Russek: 21
                  Russek, L.: 154
                • janapivec
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Coiteux" <rcoiteux@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Anything about Polacek(Polasek) and or Klacman from moravia-Vsetin?
                    >
                    > Blessings and Bounty
                    >
                    > Tammy

                    Nothing even close to Klacman, but--
                    Polasek: 78, 124
                    pg. 124 (Latium entry): " Some 12 miles from Brenham, in Washington
                    County, is situated the Czech community of Latium, with a small frame
                    church, dedicated to St. Francis. Czech families came here in 1860,
                    when this country was still thick with wild forests. The Kadlecek
                    family were the first to have moved in, then came Supak, Tomascik,
                    Urban, Sitta, Stary, Janda, Janak, Pivetz, Kovar, Kocebucky, Orsak,
                    Macek, Grigar, Vojtek, Pisklak, Gerik, Duzil, Sulak, Krivacky, Gass,
                    Sklar, Bednar, Polasek, Raska, Sedlacek, and a number of others whose
                    names could not be learned."

                    Polasek, Agnes: 200
                    Polasek, Emil and Frances: 200
                    pg. 200 (Wallis entry): "On August 16, 1915 a violent Gulf Story
                    caused extensive damage to the church. . . The repairs on the storm
                    damaged church were completed in 1917. Frank and Rosalie Raska and
                    Frank and Karolina Pazderny donated the Main Altar at a value of
                    $1,000.00 to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary October 25,
                    1917. . . A Station of the Cross, donated $8.00 Agnes Polasek; Frank
                    and Apolena Jurek; Emil & Frances Polasek; Johanna Sliva; Joseph and
                    Johanna Melnar; Veronica Janovsky; Anna Pazderna; August and Albina
                    Rohan

                    Polasek, Fred: 30
                    pg. 30 (Corpus Christi entry): "In 1905 Joseph Oujezdsky and his
                    brother-in-law John Brandejsky from Bryan visited here. . . In July,
                    1906 he moved here permanently. . . It was a disappointment for him
                    how few Czech families followed him here. There were here at this
                    time Alois Cech, Mr. Hajny, a widowed elderly man. In the autumn of
                    that year Frank Kocurek came from Ellinger, Adolph Rohan from
                    Yorktown, Fred Polasek and Mr. Zezula from Granger and Jacob Koblizek
                    from Cameron.

                    Polasek, J. H.: 208
                    Pg. 208 (West entry): "The present [parish] board is comprised of
                    Monsignor Joseph Pelnar Chair; Father Edward J. Polcak, Secretary and
                    Treasurer; Frank Bezdek president of the local K.J.T. and director of
                    supreme lodge; j. l. Svrcek, Joseph Masek, Sr.; J. H. Polasek; F. M.
                    Marak; Charles Dvoracek; Adolph Muska; John E. Stanislav; Cemetery
                    Committee Vinc Urbanovsky, Sr.; Joseph Kotrla."

                    Polasek, John: 51, 60, 116
                    Pg. 60 (El Campo entry): "In 1897 the parishioners bought three and
                    half acres of land for $150.00 and in 1900 under the pastorship of
                    Father G. J. Hendrick they built the first frame church. The parish
                    committee was John Polasek, Adolph Mozisek and Joseph J. Vasicek Sr."

                    pg. 116 (Inez entry): "The first Czech families mentioned are in the
                    year of 1890 -- Paul Merecka; John Polasek; John Frydriech; Valentine
                    and Al. Srubar; Tom Charbula; and L. Krause."

                    Polasek, R. J.: 103
                    Pg. 102-3 (Hobson entry): "It was shortly after the accession to the
                    SEE of San Antonio, that Bishop Forest learned that in Karnes County
                    near the Wilson County border – the diocese had been ceded a number
                    of thousands of acres of land. . . . He . . . agreed to sell the
                    lands in 1898. The lands were an inheritance from the Bishop's
                    predecessor Bishop Neraz. As the price of land was rather low, a
                    number of families came from around Hallettsville and bought up the
                    land. Among these families was one William Kutac (Kutach); Joseph
                    Ondrej; Joseph Honc; Filip, and a few German Catholic families.
                    Frank Harmig and Kunz built a cotton gin. E. H. Mitchell with R. J.
                    Polasek built a brick store near the Railroad Station. R. J. Polasek
                    managed the store and also was an Express and Railroad agent."

                    Polasek, Rudolph: 31, 32
                    Pg. 31 (Corpus Christi entry): "In 1913 Father Joseph Klobouk came to
                    this parish . . . Then came the families of John Malchar, Alois Wolf,
                    Frank Malchar, Alois Motal, Anton Fritz, John Janosec Sr., Joe Ermis,
                    Karel Batrak, Kaspar Zdansky, John Wolf, and Andrew Pospech. . . .In
                    1914 came the family of Rudolph Polasek . . ."

                    Pg. 32 (Corpus Christi entry): "The first officers of the
                    lodge `Moravian' were President Leo Netak, Secretary, Rudolph
                    Polasek, Treasurer, Kaspar Sdansky."

                    Polasek, Rudolph J.: 14
                    pg. 14 (Breslau entry): "In 1880 Anton Konecny was the first pupil in
                    the Breslau School (son of Anton Konecny, Sr. still living). Then
                    came Rudolph J. Polasek now living in Hobson and J. M. Najvar."

                    Polasek, William (Vilem): 80
                    Pg. 80 (Floresville entry): "Of the pioneers we can mention Jacob
                    Zahn; Joseph Jansky; Bohuslav Pavlisk; William (Vilem) Polasek;
                    Thomas and Frank Chupik; Lambert Chylek; John Marecka; Matula and
                    Luke Strala."

                    Polasek, William: 201
                    pg. 201: "July 15 [1923] the following were elected for school
                    building board, Adolph Faltysek; Joseph Lalo; Joseph Melnar; and
                    William Polasek. They in cooperation with the parish board (Francis
                    Viaclovsky; Anton Hrusek; Sylvester Pazderny; Karel Macha; Prancis
                    Polak and Francis Pazderny) were to see to the collections of
                    donations and the proper construction of the new school . . . Through
                    hard and earnest work of Mrs. Marie Hundl, donations collected by
                    her, a statue of St. Theresa, the Little Flower, was blest October 7,
                    1928."
                  • G Martisek
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                      Jana,

                      On page 200 you referenced the "Wallis entry". Several of my family were
                      mentioned there. Did you type the entire text of the Wallis entry?

                      Thanks,
                      Gerri

                      janapivec wrote:

> [...]
                      >
                      > Polasek, William (Vilem): 80
                      > Pg. 80 (Floresville entry): "Of the pioneers we can mention Jacob
                      > Zahn; Joseph Jansky; Bohuslav Pavlisk; William (Vilem) Polasek;
                      > Thomas and Frank Chupik; Lambert Chylek; John Marecka; Matula and
                      > Luke Strala."
                      >
                      > Polasek, William: 201
                      > pg. 201: "July 15 [1923] the following were elected for school
                      > building board, Adolph Faltysek; Joseph Lalo; Joseph Melnar; and
                      > William Polasek. They in cooperation with the parish board (Francis
                      > Viaclovsky; Anton Hrusek; Sylvester Pazderny; Karel Macha; Prancis
                      > Polak and Francis Pazderny) were to see to the collections of
                      > donations and the proper construction of the new school . . . Through
                      > hard and earnest work of Mrs. Marie Hundl, donations collected by
                      > her, a statue of St. Theresa, the Little Flower, was blest October 7,

                    • janapivec
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 9, 2007
                        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, G Martisek <gerri@...> wrote:

                        > Jana,
                        >
                        > On page 200 you referenced the "Wallis entry". Several of my family
                        were
                        > mentioned there. Did you type the entire text of the Wallis entry?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        > Gerri

                        No, I just tried to pick out the paragraphs that contained the names
                        requested. Did you need some other names?
                      • G Martisek
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 10, 2007
                          I would appreciate it very much if you would check for Melnar,
                          Viaclovsky and Stavinoha.

                          Thanks,
                          Gerri

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 11, 2007
                            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, G Martisek <gerri@...> wrote:

                            > I would appreciate it very much if you would check for Melnar,
                            > Viaclovsky and Stavinoha.
                            >
                            > Thanks,
                            > Gerri
                            Melnar, Joseph: 201
                            Viaclovsky, Francis: 201
                            pg. 201: "July 15 [1923] the following were elected for school
                            building board, Adolph Faltysek; Joseph Lalo; Joseph Melnar; and
                            William Polasek. They in cooperation with the parish board (Francis
                            Viaclovsky; Anton Hrusek; Sylvester Pazderny; Karel Macha; Prancis
                            Polak and Francis Pazderny) were to see to the collections of
                            donations and the proper construction of the new school . .

                            Melnar, Joseph and Johanna: 200
                            pg. 200 (Wallis entry):: "On August 16, 1915 a violent Gulf Story
                            caused extensive damage to the church. . . The repairs on the storm
                            damaged church were completed in 1917. Frank and Rosalie Raska and
                            Frank and Karolina Pazderny donated the Main Altar at a value of
                            $1,000.00 to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary October 25,
                            1917. . . A Station of the Cross, donated $8.00 Agnes Polasek; Frank
                            and Apolena Jurek; Emil & Frances Polasek; Johanna Sliva; Joseph and
                            Johanna Melnar; Veronica Janovsky; Anna Pazderna; August and Albina
                            Rohan .

                            Stavinoha: 138
                            pg. 137-138 (Needville entry): "By the year of 1911, there were some
                            30 Catholic families in this community. Joseph Fojtik; Thomas
                            Kostelnik; near Fairchilds the Kneitz family; Nesvadba; Vacek;
                            Stavinoha; Frank Horak and a number of others."

                            Stavinoha, Andrew: 106
                            pg. 106 (Hostyn entry): "Among the first Catholic pioneers - - from
                            1850 to 1860 we find the following names; Charles Ehlinger; John
                            Becka; John Stojanik; John Odlozilik; John Pavlicek; Kubica; John
                            Zapalac; Joseph Lastovica; Anton Hoelscher; Joseph Sommet; John
                            Sladek; Frank Dechenski; Anton Raab; Robert Embrough; Andrew
                            Stavinoha; John Janak; Henry Ehlinger; Joseph Vychopen; Joseph
                            Hoelscher; Joseph Fitsam; John Neumann; Fred Donath; Joseph
                            Hoelscher; Engelbert Jezisek; Frank Koniakowski; Martin Skopik; Frank
                            Horak; Anton Knesek; James Koehl. . . The oldest parishioner born
                            November 1, 1860 still living – Karel Becka."

                            Stavinoha, Cyril: 118, 188
                            Stavinoha, Felix and Cyrill: 187
                            Pg. 118 (Jourdanton entry): "In 1919 came Joseph Valigura and in 1920
                            Cyrill Stavinoha."
                            pg. 187 (Taiton entry): "Mr. Charles Drastata writes in his
                            parish `Notes': the first Czech-Moravian families – Frank Buzek and
                            Anthony Hajovsky came to Taiton in 1890. From 1894 to 1899 came
                            Bacak; John Pratka; Joseph, Anton and Ludwig Sliva. Ludwig Sumbera,
                            Frank Krupa; John Najzer Sr., and his married son Edward, Frank
                            Gurecky, Felix & Cyrill Stavinoha; Ignac Kahanek; Vincent Macek Sr.,
                            Frank Drastata; Ignac Jurasek; John Merta; John Peter; Joseph Dluhos;
                            Joseph Valigura; John Srubar; John Valigura; William Mazoch; John
                            Holub; Frank Lichnovsky and Joseph Dorotik."

                            Stavinoha, Felix: 103, 204
                            pg. 103 (Holman entry): "Anton and Frank Hluchanek have settled here
                            better than 50 years ago. At the same time with them came Anthony
                            Cernosek; Najzer; Toman; Felix Stavinoha; who later moved to Weimar.
                            There are [assume 1939] some 50 Catholic families, mostly Czech. . .
                            Frank Vacek has a business with cold drinks. . "

                            Stavinoha, Joseph: 4
                            pg. 4 (Ammansville entry): "In 1876 Henry Holster opened a store for
                            himself which he later sold to Valentine Srubar, afterwards taken
                            over by Paul Farek, then by Valentine Tkadlecek and about in 1890 was
                            bought by Joseph Stavinoha who remodeled everything and added a dance
                            hall. Because of ill health he sold out to Joseph F. Lidiak, who
                            again sold out to Peter Jurcak then, to Joe Anders and to Jindrich
                            (Henry) Kneble, then to John Barta and finally to Joseph Barton."

                            Stavinoha, R. M.: 154
                            Pg. 154 (Praha entry): "Missions of Praha -- . . .Engle; mission some
                            4 miles east of Praha. First settler Ignac Sramek and John Morris in
                            1880. City organized in 1884. First store by Mr. Nezenburg, then
                            came L. Russek; I. J. Gallia; J. C. Bucek. Later came Adolph Herzik
                            and Filip Kalus. William Kopecky; R. M. Stavinoha. Krzka, a
                            blacksmith."

                            Viaclovsky, Frank and Agnes: 199
                            Viaclavsky, Charles: 199
                            pg. 199 (Wallis entry): "With the cash from subscriptions of
                            $10,000.00, plans were made [in 1913] to begin construction of the
                            proposed new church. The family of Frank Pazderny with the largest
                            donation and Ignac Holub, Alois Pustejovsky and Frank Raska each
                            donated the sum of $500.00. . . Father Charles Kacer preached in
                            Czech, Father Paul F. Nemec of Sealy in English. The first baptism
                            in this new church December 23, 1913, Charles Viaclavsky, son of
                            Frank and Agnes Viaclovsky."

                            Viaclovsky, John: 197
                            pg. 197 (Wallis entry): "By the year of 1892 the following families
                            were here -- August Toman; Ada Kyselica; Frank Jurek; John
                            Viaclovsky; Andrew (Ondrej) Srubar; August Petrash; Frank Dolejs,
                            Filip Krejcick; Vincenc Urbanec and Andrew (Ondrej) Lichnovsky. These
                            families together build a school for their children on a four acre
                            plot of land donated for the school, church and a cemetery by Frank
                            V. Smid. . . . October 2, 1892 with the help of Father Karel Kacer
                            the St. Joseph's K.J.T #16 was organized."

                            These I need to look up:

                            Stavinoha, A. H.: 147
                            Stavinoha, C.: 147
                            Stavinoha, C. L.: 100
                            Stavinoha, Felix: 204
                            Stavinoha, I.: 168
                            Stavinoha, John: 193
                            Stavinoha, K.: 139
                            Stavinoha, Matilda: 118
                            Viaclovsky, Francis: 198
                          • charles kretzschmar
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 12, 2007
                              this book you have is great.
                              i noticed ammannsville and hostyn
                              records in the book.  do you have
                              any genzer and/or slovak records
                              for ammannsville and/or hostyn????

                              angelina genzer kretzschmar

                            • janapivec
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 13, 2007
                                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, charles kretzschmar
                                <charleskretzschmar@...> wrote:

                                > this book you have is great.
                                > i noticed ammannsville and hostyn
                                > records in the book. do you have
                                > any genzer and/or slovak records
                                > for ammannsville and/or hostyn????
                                >
                                > angelina genzer kretzschmar

                                Hi, Angelina, and to all who have offered their thanks, it is my
                                pleasure. It is so nice to have these little personal glimpses of
                                ancestors.

                                pg. 51: "During the First World War a bronze plaque, value of $150.00
                                was bought, carrying the names of soldiers of this parish, Alois
                                Beran; Ondrey (Andrew) Beran; Robert Dobias; Frank Fried; John
                                Genzer; Alfred Grigar; Frank Hlavinka; Vaclav Hradeckyky; John Janis;
                                Joseph Jochec; Robert Jochec; John Kcera; Ladislav Mark; Edward
                                Joseph Mueller; Joseph Petrash; John Polasek; Ignac Pustka; Frank
                                Sasin; Alfred Staffa; Frank Staffa; Joseph Sulak; Peter Sulak; Frank
                                Svec; Albert Sykora; John Tomasek; Stephen Valigura; Clement Vecera;
                                Francis Vitek; Arnost Walzel; Ferdinand Wojtek; Frank Zapalac; with
                                an inscription. 'They were ready to lay down their lives for their
                                country, 1917 and 1918.'"

                                pg. 53(East Bernard entry, pgs 48-57): "The Catholic Societies in the
                                parish are; St. Vaclav K.J.T. #40 founded June 16, 1905. The charter
                                members were August Morris; John Vacek; Robert Brandl; Frank Toman;
                                Frank Polak; John Slovak; John Skalicky; Roman Adamcik. St. Anne's
                                K.J.Z.T. #30 founded June 11, 1900 with Marie Smajstrla; Otilie
                                Prazak; Anna Srubar; Anna Toman; Agnes Viktorin; Frances Hlavinka;
                                Bozena Keprta. This Society gave the sum of $1,000.00 for the new
                                church and also $1,000 for the new school."

                                pg. 54(East Bernard entry, pgs 48-57): "Statues donated to the
                                Church: . . . Pieta – donated by Mrs Katerina Slovak, in memory of
                                her husband Valentin, blest November 24, 1924"

                                pg. 61 (El Campo entry): "There are some 3,000 citizens in El Campo
                                now. The lands around are very fertile. Rice, being the principal
                                crop. There is a large Rice Dryer – Rice Mill. Mr. F. J. Stoker,
                                Czech, is for many years keeper here. Anton Peter and Ed Steffek are
                                employees here. . . . Senator L. J. Sulak moved here the oldest
                                printshop and a weekly `SVOBODA.' John Pavlik is the editor. William
                                Slovak, typesetter"

                                Pg. 68 in Ennis, subhead History of S. Peter & Paul Society #83
[...]

                                Pg. 68 in Ennis, subhead History of Ss. Cyrill & Methodius
                                Society: "The Society of Ss. Cyrill & Methodius number 111 of
                                Katolicky Delnik (The Catholic Workman) was organized the 8th of
                                September 1908—the following were the original members – Frank
                                Sobotik, John Krajca, Fr. C. Kallus and Alois Marusak, Sr. There were
                                15 original members in all. In addition to the above mentioned;
                                Joseph Krajca, Frank Mach, Joseph J. Vrana, Anton Horak, Alois
                                Novosad, Joseph L. Mach, John Hubacek, Frank Holub, John K. Mach,
                                Valentine Horak and Joseph Slovak."