Re: Svrcek Index

  • janapivec
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD MCCLENDON
      <mcclendons1@...> wrote:

      > I am researching the Strouhal family. Do you have any in the book?
      > Have a nice day,
      > Susan

      Hi, Susan--the index shows the following--
      Strouhal: 93
      Struhal, Anna: 94
      Struhal, Frances: 95
      Struhal, Joseph: 141
      Struhal, Vinc: 93, 94

      I am going out of town this afternoon, and won't be back until Sunday,
      but I will look them up when I get back. Best wishes, jana-p
    • paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:
        >Jana, Can this book still be bought? paulasmaggie
        > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD MCCLENDON
        > <mcclendons1@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I am researching the Strouhal family. Do you have any in the
        book?
        > > Have a nice day,
        > > Susan
        > >
        > Hi, Susan--the index shows the following--
        > Strouhal: 93
        > Struhal, Anna: 94
        > Struhal, Frances: 95
        > Struhal, Joseph: 141
        > Struhal, Vinc: 93, 94
        >
        > I am going out of town this afternoon, and won't be back until
        Sunday,
        > but I will look them up when I get back. Best wishes, jana-p

      • FREDERICK J JANECEK
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
          I was in downtown Corpu Christi five years ago and found this bakery with kolaches with pan dulce also.  I just found it on the web so it must still be there.  I did enjoy the poppy seed kolaches.

          Czech-Mex. Bakery & Cafe

          150 American Bank Plaza
          Corpus Christi, TX 78401
          Map

          CrossStreet: Alameda St N & Antelope St

        • jlpatrick@austin.rr.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
            Sir,
            I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the page is not up to date. One cannot access it, or at least I could not even enter a comment. I don't know if they are still open or not.
            JLP
            I was in downtown Corpu Christi five years ago and found this bakery with kolaches with pan dulce also.  I just found it on the web so it must still be there.  I did enjoy the poppy seed kolaches.

            Czech-Mex. Bakery & Cafe

            150 American Bank Plaza
            Corpus Christi, TX 78401
            Map
            CrossStreet: Alameda St N & Antelope St

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • FREDERICK J JANECEK
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
              Good Sir
              Both the link and the map, opened from the post for me.  If you do a search on the subject line in you web search many more sites with show up.  I think they are still open for business.
              Peace,
              P. Fred

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
                Pan/Senor Patrick

                I found a website with reviews and I found reviews as resent as 08/10/2007 and 08/05/2007 so the place is open and definitely has kolaches.

                S. Bohem/Con Dios
                P. Fred

                User Rating: Good (3 ratings)

                Czech-Mex Bakery & Cafe, 711 N Carancahua St Ste 150, Corpus Christi, TX 78475

                (361) 883-2253
                1.
                User Rating: Good
                a Yahoo! Local User
                08/10/2007
                Great Chicken Salad Sandwich: The Chicken Salad Sandwich on wheat bread is excellent! Try the iced sugar cookies as well. Best sandwich shop in downtown Corpus. For 6 bucks you get a sandwich, chips, cookie and drink. You cant beat that.
                Was this review helpful? 00 Report Abuse
                Comment on Review Comment Guidelines
                Post CommentCancel
                2.        User Rating: Good
                a Yahoo! Local User
                08/05/2007
                Best Lunch Specials!: Mon-Fri you will find a different lunch special that is $6 thats with tax, includes a nice size sandwich, cookie, chips and a tea. Now thats one great deal! They also have a variety of cookies and kolaches and much more. One place to definately visit if your in the CC area.
                Was this review helpful? 00 Report Abuse
                Comment on Review Comment Guidelines
                Post CommentCancel
                3.        User Rating: Good
                by HappyToday
                05/12/2007
                Kolaches are great.: I think the Kolache are great I just wish they would make me some with prune filling.
                Was this review helpful? 00 Report Abuse
                Comment on Review Comment Guidelines
                Post CommentCancel

                Reviews 1-3 of 3

              • janapivec
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                  I need to look in the book for a couple more of the entries, but here
                  are a couple:

                  Pg. 93 (Granger entry): "Before the year of 1880 this part of the
                  state was very thinly populated. There were no roads and the
                  settlers usually had to travel long distances for supplies. At that
                  time there was a small church at Taylor, where most of the Czech
                  Catholics attended church services. At times a priest would say Holy
                  Mass in Granger in the home of Mrs. Strouhal. In 1890 the settlers
                  met at the home of W. Keliehor, south of Granger, who had offered
                  some land for church purposes but the people decided to build in
                  town. They began with the building on the 26th day of October 1891
                  and the building was under the roof for Christmas Day. The church
                  was dedicated by Father Joseph Chromcik to the honor of Ss. Cyrill &
                  Methodius. The land was donated by W. H. Walton, a lawyer, who lived
                  in Austin. At the meetings for the building of the church present
                  were John Najzr, O. R. Bartosh, Val Krkoska, Paul Kopecky, Ferd
                  Kaderka, Jiri (George) Jurecka, John David, John Janak. Joseph
                  Kaderka, John Kalinec, Anton Zrubek, Martin Kopecky, Vinc Struhal,
                  Joseph Cervenka, John Mazac, Fr. Cervenka, Vaclav Nemec, J. Rychlik
                  and ondrej (Andrew) Janak. John R. Vojtek John Martinka."

                  Pg. 94 (Granger entry): "First wedding was that of Vinc Struhal and
                  Miss Frances Korenek, January 8, 1894. Val Bartosh donated main
                  Altar, John Baca and Terezie Bohac a side altar. Altar Society also
                  side Altar. Mr. H. Janak statue of St. Joseph, Dr. Kidney statue of
                  Blessed Virgin."
                • janapivec
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                    Found 1 more:

                    Pg. 141 (Olmus entry): "In the year of 1866, came to America with his
                    parents, from Europe, Frank Sugarek, Sr. As a little boy. The family
                    settled at High Hill near Schulenburg. Later moved to what is now
                    known as Praha, Texas. In due time he married and farmed for a time.
                    In the autumn of 1890 he moved to Bee County and settled on Olmus
                    Ranch (Olomos), some 14 miles southwest of Beeville, Texas and six
                    miles from Skidmore. He leased land from Joseph Bartos, who came here
                    a year earlier from Weimar, Texas. Mr. Bartos was the first Czech
                    settled here. With Frank Sugarek came Innocent Vrana, Anton Vrana,
                    Frank Staf; Joseph Struhal, these latter ones later all moved to the
                    state of Oklahoma. Joseph Bohac, Peter Nedbalek; Frank Vavrusa;
                    Charles Sugarek and Dudek remained there."
                  • RICHARD MCCLENDON
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                      Jana,
                      Thank you so much for supplying all this information on the Strouhal.  I really appreciate all your hard work.
                      Have a nice day,
                      Susan

                      janapivec <jesenwei@...> wrote:
[...]

                    • Helen Swank
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                        Yes....The Czech-Mex Bakery is still opened. Great sandwiches.  I live close to Corpus Christi, Tx

                        Regards, Helen

                      • janapivec
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                          > Struhal, Anna: 94
                          Pg. 94 (Granger entry): "On the 13th of December [1893] Mrs. Anna
                          Struhal died, she was buried in the Calvary Cemetery some 1 ½ miles
                          west of Granger. The land was at this time donated by John Tobolka."

                          > Struhal, Frances: 95
                          Pg. 95 (Granger entry): "august 17, 1915 a hurricane badly damaged the
                          church. All furnishings were moved into the hall and the church was
                          torn down entirely and from the material a Sisters residence was
                          built. In the spring of 1916 work began on a new church 118x45 with a
                          steeple 100 feet high. The cost was $32,000 and was paid for in full
                          that same year. Val Bartosh donated $2,170; Ludwig Cervenka 1,185;
                          John Najzer $1,485; Vaclav Nemec $1,140; Mrs. Frances Struhal $1,105;
                          Mr. & Mrs Joseph Kokavec $1,500."
                        • hankn34
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                            Mrs. Struhal was the very first person buried in Calvary Cemetery.

                            Hank Naizer

                            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

                            > > Struhal, Anna: 94
                            > Pg. 94 (Granger entry): "On the 13th of December [1893] Mrs. Anna
                            > Struhal died, she was buried in the Calvary Cemetery some 1 ½ miles
                            > west of Granger. The land was at this time donated by John Tobolka."
                            >
                            > > Struhal, Frances: 95
                            > Pg. 95 (Granger entry): "august 17, 1915 a hurricane badly damaged the
                            > church. All furnishings were moved into the hall and the church was
                            > torn down entirely and from the material a Sisters residence was
                            > built. In the spring of 1916 work began on a new church 118x45 with a
                            > steeple 100 feet high. The cost was $32,000 and was paid for in full
                            > that same year. Val Bartosh donated $2,170; Ludwig Cervenka 1,185;
                            > John Najzer $1,485; Vaclav Nemec $1,140; Mrs. Frances Struhal $1,105;
                            > Mr. & Mrs Joseph Kokavec $1,500."

                          • RICHARD MCCLENDON
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                              Thanks again for the additional info for Struhal family.
                              Have a nice day,
                              Susan