Re: Svrcek Index

  • RICHARD MCCLENDON
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 3, 2007
      I am researching the Strouhal family.  Do you have any in the book?
      Have a nice day,
      Susan
    • janapivec
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD MCCLENDON
        <mcclendons1@...> wrote:

        > I am researching the Strouhal family. Do you have any in the book?
        > Have a nice day,
        > Susan

        Hi, Susan--the index shows the following--
        Strouhal: 93
        Struhal, Anna: 94
        Struhal, Frances: 95
        Struhal, Joseph: 141
        Struhal, Vinc: 93, 94

        I am going out of town this afternoon, and won't be back until Sunday,
        but I will look them up when I get back. Best wishes, jana-p
      • paulasmaggie
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:
          >Jana, Can this book still be bought? paulasmaggie
          > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD MCCLENDON
          > <mcclendons1@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am researching the Strouhal family. Do you have any in the
          book?
          > > Have a nice day,
          > > Susan
          > >
          > Hi, Susan--the index shows the following--
          > Strouhal: 93
          > Struhal, Anna: 94
          > Struhal, Frances: 95
          > Struhal, Joseph: 141
          > Struhal, Vinc: 93, 94
          >
          > I am going out of town this afternoon, and won't be back until
          Sunday,
          > but I will look them up when I get back. Best wishes, jana-p

        • FREDERICK J JANECEK
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
            I was in downtown Corpu Christi five years ago and found this bakery with kolaches with pan dulce also.  I just found it on the web so it must still be there.  I did enjoy the poppy seed kolaches.

            Czech-Mex. Bakery & Cafe

            150 American Bank Plaza
            Corpus Christi, TX 78401
            Map

            CrossStreet: Alameda St N & Antelope St

          • jlpatrick@austin.rr.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
              Sir,
              I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the page is not up to date. One cannot access it, or at least I could not even enter a comment. I don't know if they are still open or not.
              JLP
              I was in downtown Corpu Christi five years ago and found this bakery with kolaches with pan dulce also.  I just found it on the web so it must still be there.  I did enjoy the poppy seed kolaches.

              Czech-Mex. Bakery & Cafe

              150 American Bank Plaza
              Corpus Christi, TX 78401
              Map
              CrossStreet: Alameda St N & Antelope St

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • FREDERICK J JANECEK
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
                Good Sir
                Both the link and the map, opened from the post for me.  If you do a search on the subject line in you web search many more sites with show up.  I think they are still open for business.
                Peace,
                P. Fred

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Pan/Senor Patrick

                  I found a website with reviews and I found reviews as resent as 08/10/2007 and 08/05/2007 so the place is open and definitely has kolaches.

                  S. Bohem/Con Dios
                  P. Fred

                  User Rating: Good (3 ratings)

                  Czech-Mex Bakery & Cafe, 711 N Carancahua St Ste 150, Corpus Christi, TX 78475

                  (361) 883-2253
                  1.
                  User Rating: Good
                  a Yahoo! Local User
                  08/10/2007
                  Great Chicken Salad Sandwich: The Chicken Salad Sandwich on wheat bread is excellent! Try the iced sugar cookies as well. Best sandwich shop in downtown Corpus. For 6 bucks you get a sandwich, chips, cookie and drink. You cant beat that.
                  Was this review helpful? 00 Report Abuse
                  Comment on Review Comment Guidelines
                  Post CommentCancel
                  2.        User Rating: Good
                  a Yahoo! Local User
                  08/05/2007
                  Best Lunch Specials!: Mon-Fri you will find a different lunch special that is $6 thats with tax, includes a nice size sandwich, cookie, chips and a tea. Now thats one great deal! They also have a variety of cookies and kolaches and much more. One place to definately visit if your in the CC area.
                  Was this review helpful? 00 Report Abuse
                  Comment on Review Comment Guidelines
                  Post CommentCancel
                  3.        User Rating: Good
                  by HappyToday
                  05/12/2007
                  Kolaches are great.: I think the Kolache are great I just wish they would make me some with prune filling.
                  Was this review helpful? 00 Report Abuse
                  Comment on Review Comment Guidelines
                  Post CommentCancel

                  Reviews 1-3 of 3

                • janapivec
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                    I need to look in the book for a couple more of the entries, but here
                    are a couple:

                    Pg. 93 (Granger entry): "Before the year of 1880 this part of the
                    state was very thinly populated. There were no roads and the
                    settlers usually had to travel long distances for supplies. At that
                    time there was a small church at Taylor, where most of the Czech
                    Catholics attended church services. At times a priest would say Holy
                    Mass in Granger in the home of Mrs. Strouhal. In 1890 the settlers
                    met at the home of W. Keliehor, south of Granger, who had offered
                    some land for church purposes but the people decided to build in
                    town. They began with the building on the 26th day of October 1891
                    and the building was under the roof for Christmas Day. The church
                    was dedicated by Father Joseph Chromcik to the honor of Ss. Cyrill &
                    Methodius. The land was donated by W. H. Walton, a lawyer, who lived
                    in Austin. At the meetings for the building of the church present
                    were John Najzr, O. R. Bartosh, Val Krkoska, Paul Kopecky, Ferd
                    Kaderka, Jiri (George) Jurecka, John David, John Janak. Joseph
                    Kaderka, John Kalinec, Anton Zrubek, Martin Kopecky, Vinc Struhal,
                    Joseph Cervenka, John Mazac, Fr. Cervenka, Vaclav Nemec, J. Rychlik
                    and ondrej (Andrew) Janak. John R. Vojtek John Martinka."

                    Pg. 94 (Granger entry): "First wedding was that of Vinc Struhal and
                    Miss Frances Korenek, January 8, 1894. Val Bartosh donated main
                    Altar, John Baca and Terezie Bohac a side altar. Altar Society also
                    side Altar. Mr. H. Janak statue of St. Joseph, Dr. Kidney statue of
                    Blessed Virgin."
                  • janapivec
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                      Found 1 more:

                      Pg. 141 (Olmus entry): "In the year of 1866, came to America with his
                      parents, from Europe, Frank Sugarek, Sr. As a little boy. The family
                      settled at High Hill near Schulenburg. Later moved to what is now
                      known as Praha, Texas. In due time he married and farmed for a time.
                      In the autumn of 1890 he moved to Bee County and settled on Olmus
                      Ranch (Olomos), some 14 miles southwest of Beeville, Texas and six
                      miles from Skidmore. He leased land from Joseph Bartos, who came here
                      a year earlier from Weimar, Texas. Mr. Bartos was the first Czech
                      settled here. With Frank Sugarek came Innocent Vrana, Anton Vrana,
                      Frank Staf; Joseph Struhal, these latter ones later all moved to the
                      state of Oklahoma. Joseph Bohac, Peter Nedbalek; Frank Vavrusa;
                      Charles Sugarek and Dudek remained there."
                    • RICHARD MCCLENDON
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                        Jana,
                        Thank you so much for supplying all this information on the Strouhal.  I really appreciate all your hard work.
                        Have a nice day,
                        Susan

                        janapivec <jesenwei@...> wrote:
[...]

                      • Helen Swank
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 8, 2007
                          Yes....The Czech-Mex Bakery is still opened. Great sandwiches.  I live close to Corpus Christi, Tx

                          Regards, Helen

                        • janapivec
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                            > Struhal, Anna: 94
                            Pg. 94 (Granger entry): "On the 13th of December [1893] Mrs. Anna
                            Struhal died, she was buried in the Calvary Cemetery some 1 ½ miles
                            west of Granger. The land was at this time donated by John Tobolka."

                            > Struhal, Frances: 95
                            Pg. 95 (Granger entry): "august 17, 1915 a hurricane badly damaged the
                            church. All furnishings were moved into the hall and the church was
                            torn down entirely and from the material a Sisters residence was
                            built. In the spring of 1916 work began on a new church 118x45 with a
                            steeple 100 feet high. The cost was $32,000 and was paid for in full
                            that same year. Val Bartosh donated $2,170; Ludwig Cervenka 1,185;
                            John Najzer $1,485; Vaclav Nemec $1,140; Mrs. Frances Struhal $1,105;
                            Mr. & Mrs Joseph Kokavec $1,500."
                          • hankn34
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                              Mrs. Struhal was the very first person buried in Calvary Cemetery.

                              Hank Naizer

                              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

                              > > Struhal, Anna: 94
                              > Pg. 94 (Granger entry): "On the 13th of December [1893] Mrs. Anna
                              > Struhal died, she was buried in the Calvary Cemetery some 1 ½ miles
                              > west of Granger. The land was at this time donated by John Tobolka."
                              >
                              > > Struhal, Frances: 95
                              > Pg. 95 (Granger entry): "august 17, 1915 a hurricane badly damaged the
                              > church. All furnishings were moved into the hall and the church was
                              > torn down entirely and from the material a Sisters residence was
                              > built. In the spring of 1916 work began on a new church 118x45 with a
                              > steeple 100 feet high. The cost was $32,000 and was paid for in full
                              > that same year. Val Bartosh donated $2,170; Ludwig Cervenka 1,185;
                              > John Najzer $1,485; Vaclav Nemec $1,140; Mrs. Frances Struhal $1,105;
                              > Mr. & Mrs Joseph Kokavec $1,500."

                            • RICHARD MCCLENDON
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 9, 2007
                                Thanks again for the additional info for Struhal family.
                                Have a nice day,
                                Susan