svrcek index

  • granny pat
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 2, 2007
      Jana,

      Is there an entry for John and Rosalia Minarcik Marek?

      Pat

    • janapivec
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 3, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "granny pat" <phejl@...> wrote:

        > Jana,
        >
        > Is there an entry for John and Rosalia Minarcik Marek?
        >
        > Pat

        Possibly--I will look when I get home--

        Marek: 112
        Marek, Adloph and John: 155
        Marek, Edward: 34, 172
        Marek, Frank: 96
        Marek, Frantisek (Frank): 108
        Marek, John: 155, 175
        Marek, Vinc: 143
      • janapivec
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 4, 2007
          > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "granny pat" <phejl@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Jana,
          > >
          > > Is there an entry for John and Rosalia Minarcik Marek?
          > >
          > > Pat
          > >
          > Possibly--I will look when I get home--
          >
          > Marek: 112
          > Marek, Adloph and John: 155
          > Marek, Edward: 34, 172
          > Marek, Frank: 96
          > Marek, Frantisek (Frank): 108
          > Marek, John: 155, 175
          > Marek, Vinc: 143

          I just did the 'John' entries--do you want the others?

          Marek, Adloph and John: 155
          Pg. 155 (Robstown entry): "In 1924 [came] W. J. Roeder; Frank Hlavac;
          John Ermis; Frank Nemec; John Juranek; John Marek. In 1928 Rochus
          Malik and Henry Koliba. Brothers Adolph and John Marek and J. F.
          Malchar were also among the first settlers. Just about all of the
          first settlers bought uncultivated lands, with heavy underbrush. It
          was very difficult and heavy work to clear the lands, but the present
          state of the farms shows that their efforts have met with wonderful
          success. A Mr. T. Mrazek had invented a special kind of plow that
          proved very useful and is in use even at the present time."<?
          xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-
          com:office:office" />

          Marek, John: 175
          pg. 175 (Shiner entry): "Among the city officials we find [assume
          time of writing, 1939]-- Doctor Frank Wagner; Oscar Darelek and
          Turek, dentists; Emil and Arnost Hajek; Joseph Chrastecky meat
          business; John Marek; John Patek; Joseph Adamek; Mr. Dolezal,
          gasoline station operators. . . William Kubicek owns a cotton Gin;
          Raymund Malina runs a restaurant; Balusek and F. J. Kajs a
          garage . . . W. J. Janecek is secretary of the Supreme Lodge of
          K.J.T. Among the retired we find Joseph Stanek; John Havel; Hynek
          Bozka; Joseph and Leopold Hybner; Florian Baros; Alvin Kurc; Vaclav
          Jiral; Charles Krupal; Alphons Grill; John Patek; John Mikulenka and
          Thomas Hubka."
        • granny pat
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 5, 2007
            Jana, thanks for looking up the John Mareks. No need to post the others.

            Thanks again.

            Pat

          • DFC
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 6, 2007
            • janapivec
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "DFC" <dofrco@...> wrote:

                > Jana,
                > Would you please post the entry for… Marek, Vinc: 143
                > Thanks so much,
                > Doris Barton

                With pleasure :-)
                pg. 143 (Penelope entry): "It was aroung 1890 when the first Czech
                families moved to this part of the state. Most of them came from
                nearby West, some 14 miles to the west in McLennan County. We read the
                names of John Urbis, John Cocek; Charles Snapka; Frank Kolacek; Edward
                Snapka; Frank Cocek; Frank Cernosek; Anton Cernosek; Frank Machac;
                Frank M. Novak; John Mikulik; Charles Horak; Vinc Marek and John
                Srubar."
              • pfoster
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                  Is the Svrcek Index Book available to Purchase?  In the Index would you please look-up the Valiguras.  paulasmaggie
                • Diann Biltz
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                    are there any Vavrusa or Wavrussa or Wawrussa in this index?

                    Diann Biltz
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "pfoster" <pfosterbmt@...> wrote:

                      > Is the Svrcek Index Book available to Purchase? In the Index would
                      you please look-up the Valiguras. paulasmaggie

                      I found it on ebay--

                      Valigura, John 7 Joseph: 187
                      pg. 187 (Taiton entry): "Mr. Charles Drastata writes in his
                      parish `Notes': the first Czech-Moravian families – Frank Buzek and
                      Anthony Hajovsky came to Taiton in 1890. From 1894 to 1899 came
                      Bacak; John Pratka; Joseph, Anton and Ludwig Sliva. Ludwig Sumbera,
                      Frank Krupa; John Najzer Sr., and his married son Edward, Frank
                      Gurecky, Felix & Cyrill Stavinoha; Ignac Kahanek; Vincent Macek Sr.,
                      Frank Drastata; Ignac Jurasek; John Merta; John Peter; Joseph Dluhos;
                      Joseph Valigura; John Srubar; John Valigura; William Mazoch; John
                      Holub; Frank Lichnovsky and Joseph Dorotik."

                      I need to look these up---

                      Valigura, Joseph: 118
                      Valigura, Paul: 80

                      Valigura, Stephen: 51
                      pg. 51: "During the First World War a bronze plaque, value of $150.00
                      was bought, carrying the names of soldiers of this parish, Alois
                      Beran; Ondrey (Andrew) Beran; Robert Dobias; Frank Fried; John
                      Genzer; Alfred Grigar; Frank Hlavinka; Vaclav Hradeckyky; John Janis;
                      Joseph Jochec; Robert Jochec; John Kcera; Ladislav Mark; Edward
                      Joseph Mueller; Joseph Petrash; John Polasek; Ignac Pustka; Frank
                      Sasin; Alfred Staffa; Frank Staffa; Joseph Sulak; Peter Sulak; Frank
                      Svec; Albert Sykora; John Tomasek; Stephen Valigura; Clement Vecera;
                      Francis Vitek; Arnost Walzel; Ferdinand Wojtek; Frank Zapalac; with
                      an inscription. 'They were ready to lay down their lives for their
                      country, 1917 and 1918.'"
                    • janapivec
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Diann Biltz" <diannbiltz@...>
                        wrote:

                        > are there any Vavrusa or Wavrussa or Wawrussa in this index?
                        >
                        > Diann Biltz
                        None of the "W" variations, only the following:

                        Vavrusa, Frank: 141 (same entry as Struhal, posted earlier)

                        Pg. 141 (Olmus entry): "In the year of 1866, came to America with his
                        parents, from Europe, Frank Sugarek, Sr. As a little boy. The family
                        settled at High Hill near Schulenburg. Later moved to what is now
                        known as Praha, Texas. In due time he married and farmed for a
                        time. In the autumn of 1890 he moved to Bee County and settled on
                        Olmus Ranch (Olomos), some 14 miles southwest of Beeville, Texas and
                        six miles from Skidmore. He leased land from Joseph Bartos, who came
                        here a year earlier from Weimar, Texas. Mr. Bartos was the first
                        Czech settled here. With Frank Sugarek came Innocent Vrana, Anton
                        Vrana, Frank Staf; Joseph Struhal, these latter ones later all moved
                        to the state of Oklahoma. Joseph Bohac, Peter Nedbalek; Frank
                        Vavrusa; Charles Sugarek and Dudek remained there."
                      • pfoster
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                          I appreciate the information.paulasmaggie
                          > Is the Svrcek Index Book available to Purchase? In the Index would
                          you please look-up the Valiguras. paulasmaggie

                          I found it on ebay--

                          Valigura, John 7 Joseph: 187
                          pg. 187 (Taiton entry): "Mr. Charles Drastata writes in his
                          parish `Notes': the first Czech-Moravian families – Frank Buzek and
                          Anthony Hajovsky came to Taiton in 1890. From 1894 to 1899 came
                          Bacak; John Pratka; Joseph, Anton and Ludwig Sliva. Ludwig Sumbera,
                          Frank Krupa; John Najzer Sr., and his married son Edward, Frank
                          Gurecky, Felix & Cyrill Stavinoha; Ignac Kahanek; Vincent Macek Sr.,
                          Frank Drastata; Ignac Jurasek; John Merta; John Peter; Joseph Dluhos;
                          Joseph Valigura; John Srubar; John Valigura; William Mazoch; John
                          Holub; Frank Lichnovsky and Joseph Dorotik."

                          I need to look these up---

                          Valigura, Joseph: 118
                          Valigura, Paul: 80

                          Valigura, Stephen: 51
                          pg. 51: "During the First World War a bronze plaque, value of $150.00
                          was bought, carrying the names of soldiers of this parish, Alois
                          Beran; Ondrey (Andrew) Beran; Robert Dobias; Frank Fried; John
                          Genzer; Alfred Grigar; Frank Hlavinka; Vaclav Hradeckyky; John Janis;
                          Joseph Jochec; Robert Jochec; John Kcera; Ladislav Mark; Edward
                          Joseph Mueller; Joseph Petrash; John Polasek; Ignac Pustka; Frank
                          Sasin; Alfred Staffa; Frank Staffa; Joseph Sulak; Peter Sulak; Frank
                          Svec; Albert Sykora; John Tomasek; Stephen Valigura; Clement Vecera;
                          Francis Vitek; Arnost Walzel; Ferdinand Wojtek; Frank Zapalac; with
                          an inscription. 'They were ready to lay down their lives for their
                          country, 1917 and 1918.'"

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                        • littlesong.glassgirl
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                            I noticed you mentioned Joseph Macek, Sr.
                            He might be my g-g-grandfather. I am looking for Joseph Matcek (Macek)
                            who was born in Moravia in Aug. 1849 and came to U.S. in 1874.
                            He married Frantiska Sweda in Fayettville 6/28/1874.
                            He died in Caldwell, TX in 1934.
                            If you or anyone has any additional information, I would be most grateful.
                            Yours,
                            Denise
                          • Terri Billeck
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 8, 2007
                              In the index, it shows John Bilek (Billeck) on page
                              78. Can you please tell me what it says about him, or
                              where to find the info on my next trip to TX.?

                            • janapivec
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 9, 2007

                                > I need to look these up---
                                >
                                > Valigura, Joseph: 118
                                Pg. 118 (Jourdanton entry): "In 1919 came Joseph Valigura and in 1920
                                Cyrill Stavinoha."

                                > Valigura, Paul: 80
                                Pg. 80 (Fort Worth entry); "The first Czech Catholic—seems to have
                                been the Paul Valigura family. They came here from Velke-Karlovice in
                                Moravia. The Valigura family arrived about the year of 1880. mr.
                                Valigura worked on a railroad construction job. He then moved to Vox
                                Populi now called Garwood, Texas. There he farmed. He died in 1934
                                at the venerable age of 90 years."
                              • janapivec
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 9, 2007
                                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Terri Billeck <billeckfamily@...>
                                  wrote:

                                  > In the index, it shows John Bilek (Billeck) on page
                                  > 78. Can you please tell me what it says about him, or
                                  > where to find the info on my next trip to TX.?

                                  pg. 77-78 (Flatonia entry): "The community of Flatonia, has its origin
                                  from 1874 when the railroad extended its tracks from Houston to San
                                  Antonio, Texas. . . The first Czech Catholic settlers were Frank
                                  Pinter a tinsmith; Joseph Sander, inkeeper [sic]. Later came Jiri
                                  (George) Matula now living in Yoakum; then Frank Fojtik, a
                                  druggist.. . Business came to Flatonia from 25 miles around and for
                                  that reason it grew very fast. At this time, many Czech families came
                                  from Europe and not knowing the English language -- many of the
                                  business places had hired clerks who had the duty of attending these
                                  countrymen. These first assisting clerks were Edward Boehm, Jakub
                                  Slama; Frank Simecek; August Gallia; Anton Fojtik; John Bilek; Jack
                                  Nikl; Mathew and Albert Kubena.
                                • pfoster
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 9, 2007
                                    I appreciate it.  Now the fun part begains.  Cousin Pat and I just have to figure where he goes on the family quilt.  This is the best part of researching, at least I think so.  Cannot answer for Cousin Pat since I am guilty of "over-loading" on paper trails and going into left field sometimes.  paulasmaggie

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 9, 2007
                                    • Pat Lyon
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 12, 2007
                                        Bernard and my best friend forgot my birthday! boo hoo.  Actually Bernadette's card is probably late but she didn't call which is unusual.  Bernard gives me something from time-to-time and says it's "for my birthday" so I get birthday from him all year long.  I got lots of calls and cards and mom had a friend pick up some flowers and a card for me.  So I had a nice full day.  I'll probably still get cards the rest of the week.  That's the way it usually goes.  Thanks for calling me.  I'll look forward to celebrating when we are together.