Re: svrcek index??

  • michelle
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

      > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "michelle" <r-mbeeman@> wrote:
      > >
      > > WHAT is the Svrcek Index and what information can I learn from
      it??

      > Hi, Michelle. the 'Svrcek Index' is an index I did of a book
      > published in 1939, translated and edited by the Rev. V. A. Svrcek,
      > entitled "A History of the Czech-Moravian Catholic Communities of
      > Texas". It is organized by community, and has wonderful stories,
      but
      > made me nuts because there was no index. So I did one--imperfect,
      > know--I have been chastised for my typos.
      >
      > Anyway, If there are names in the index that you want to see the
      > entries for, let me know, and I will post the text of the entries.
      > think there are a couple of other people on the list that also have
      > the book.
      >
      > Best wishes, jana-p

      I am interested in the Valek families but I'm not sure if they would
      be in the book because of the year it was published. My Valeks
      either died or moved away by 1930's. They were in TX 1880-1925.
    • janapivec
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 3, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "michelle" <r-mbeeman@...> wrote:
        > I am interested in the Valek families but I'm not sure if they would
        > be in the book because of the year it was published. My Valeks
        > either died or moved away by 1930's. They were in TX 1880-1925.

        A typical entry lists early settlers, so it is possible that there
        might be some mention. I have the book at home, but according to the
        index, there are these entries (the numbers are page numbers):

        Valek: 22
        Valek, Joe A.: 67
        Valek, John: 24, 67
        Valek, Joseph: 63, 68
      • michelle
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 3, 2007
          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

          > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "michelle" <r-mbeeman@> wrote:
          > > I am interested in the Valek families but I'm not sure if they
          would
          > > be in the book because of the year it was published. My Valeks
          > > either died or moved away by 1930's. They were in TX 1880-1925.
          > >
          > A typical entry lists early settlers, so it is possible that there
          > might be some mention. I have the book at home, but according to the
          > index, there are these entries (the numbers are page numbers):
          >
          > Valek: 22
          > Valek, Joe A.: 67
          > Valek, John: 24, 67
          > Valek, Joseph: 63, 68

          Now I'm excited! How can I get the information from the book?
        • janapivec
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
            Here ya go!

            > there are these entries (the numbers are page numbers):
            > >
            > > Valek: 22
            > > Valek, Joe A.: 67
            > > Valek, John: 24, 67
            > > Valek, Joseph: 63, 68

            pg. 22 (Cameron entry): "Some Czech-Catholics came in 1887. Roman
            Parma was still living at the time this page of history was written.
            He says of himself, ". . . I moved to Cameron in 1887. . . Later more
            families arrived from other parts of the state and also from Europe.
            Families like: Motocha, Stoklas, Valek, Mondrik and as the number of
            Czech-Catholics increased a Czech priest visited here occassionally
            [sic]. Such as Father Joseph Pelnar, Father Pridal and Karel Kacer.
            First baptism on the books of the parish are twins born to the
            Mondrik family from Marak. They were baptized Amalia and Teresie on
            November 24, 1884 by father J. Lauth, the first appointed pastor for
            this parish."

            Pg. 24 (Cistern entry): "Even before 1881 some Czech families settled
            here: -- Antonin Ferdinand, Frank and John Psencik, Mathew and Joseph
            Ziegelbauer, Frantisek Holub, John Machacek. Sr., John Machacek Jr.,
            Frank Hanzelka, Adolph Kreml, Vincent and Joseph Maresh, Antonin
            Hybner and John Valek."

            Pg. 63 (Ennis entry): "The first Czech came here from Europe, as far
            as the records do show, was John Jacob (Jakub) Sebesta from Netolice
            Ceske Budejovice in the year of 1873. At that time Ennis was a mere
            village with some stores. Round and about town was a wild prairie,
            covered with tall grasses. Here and there perhaps some thick forests.
            There were no roads nor any fences. Two years later, 1875,few
            families came from England and France. Also the families of
            Bartholomew Lanicky from Zdanice near Brno, who had lived 3 years in
            Bryan and then moved here. The following year two more families
            arrived. This handful of settlers gave the nucleus to a new parish.
            They bought an old house and remodelled it into a smal [sic] church.
            Father Tion came from Corsicana every second Sunday and said Holy
            Mass for the people. One of the English families donated two acres of
            land for a cemetery. In the coming years the country showed fast
            growth, some Czech families came from Gainsville, Cook County, and
            again others came from Europe—among these were the families of John
            Patril, John Vrla, John Vrana, John Dlabay, Joseph Haba, Frank
            Drajca, Joseph Valek, Joseph Novosad, Joseph Vitovsky, John Vlk, John
            Mach, John Langer, and Frank Patak. Most of these have passed away
            by this time."

            Pg. 67 (Ennis entry): "History records of the parish show that in the
            beginning of the century – the Czech Catholics came to a very
            important decision – to separate themselves from the other
            nationalities of the parish and organize a Czech parish of their
            own. Thus they also organized their own school. This also gave rise
            to the resolution to unite themselves into societies of their own.
            Thus in the year of 1900 on the 15th of August, the St. Joseph's
            K.J.T. #35 was organized. Its original members were John Patak, John
            Slovacek, Joseph Vitovsky, Joseph Vrana, Joseph Slovacek, John Luza,
            Joseph Jaresh, John Krajca. The first elected officers were: Francis
            Mikula, president; John Valek, sick committee.

            Pg. 67 (Ennis entry): "In 1935 the K.J.T. Society celebrated its 35th
            Jubilee of existence. . . . At the time of the writing of these lines
            the officers are; Father Vincent Micola, Chaplain; I. J. Parma,
            president; Frank. K. Spaniel, vice president; Joseph Odlozil,
            secretary; Joe A. Valek, accountant; J. B. Kulhanek, treasurer; John
            Lanicek, representative, . . . "

            Pg. 68 (Ennis entry, subhead History of S. Peter & Paul Society #83
            (Prvni Ustredni Jednota) The First Central Union): "In the annals of
            St. John Nepomucenus parish of Ennis, we read that in 1883, a society
            of Ss. Peter and Paul was organized. Our countrymen arriving here
            without any knowledge of the language of the country- difficulty in
            communication with others-for that purpose they had organized into a
            group-tightly knitted together for their social and religious
            benefits. They formed this society to be able better to communicate
            with each other and other branches of the society, in other parts of
            this their new country. Thus, the St. John Nepomucenus society was
            the first one herabouts. The founders of this society were - John
            Sebesta, Frank Patak, John Plasek, Joseph Valek and Bartholomew
            Lanicek. At this time all of these good men are resting there in that
            consecrated ground - our cemetery. . . At present there are 28
            members living, Father Francis Kowalski, chaplain; Alois Kuchar,
            president; Richard Kriska, vice-president; Joseph R. Slovak,
            secretary; Stanislav Kriska, financial-secretary; Ferdinand Petrash,
            treasurer and representative."
          • michelle
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
> [...]
              > communication with others-for that purpose they had organized into
              > group-tightly knitted together for their social and religious
              > benefits. They formed this society to be able better to communicate
              > with each other and other branches of the society, in other parts
              of
              > this their new country. Thus, the St. John Nepomucenus society was
              > the first one herabouts. The founders of this society were - John
              > Sebesta, Frank Patak, John Plasek, Joseph Valek and Bartholomew
              > Lanicek. At this time all of these good men are resting there in
              that
              > consecrated ground - our cemetery. . . At present there are 28
              > members living, Father Francis Kowalski, chaplain; Alois Kuchar,
              > president; Richard Kriska, vice-president; Joseph R. Slovak,
              > secretary; Stanislav Kriska, financial-secretary; Ferdinand

              I have to be honest - I slept through most of my History classes. I
              have learned more history through doing genealogy than I ever learned
              in school. Just don't ask me to take a test!

              Thank you for the information AND for making an index for such an
              interesting piece of history. I am sure MANY researchers appreciate
              it.

              Michelle

            • Dennis Owen
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
                Jana,

                Are there any TRLICA's in the book?

                Thanks. Dennis

                --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

                > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "michelle" <r-mbeeman@> wrote:
                > >
                > > WHAT is the Svrcek Index and what information can I learn from
                it??

                > Hi, Michelle. the 'Svrcek Index' is an index I did of a book
                > published in 1939, translated and edited by the Rev. V. A. Svrcek,
                > entitled "A History of the Czech-Moravian Catholic Communities of
                > Texas". It is organized by community, and has wonderful stories,
                but
                > made me nuts because there was no index. So I did one--imperfect,
                > know--I have been chastised for my typos.
                >
                > Anyway, If there are names in the index that you want to see the
                > entries for, let me know, and I will post the text of the entries.
                > think there are a couple of other people on the list that also have
                > the book.
                >
                > Best wishes, jana-p

              • Nangotoo
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
                  Anything about the RECEK family?  That would be in the Fayette Co area or maybe even some in the Shiner area.
                  Nan

                  .

                • Robert Coiteux
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
                    Anything about Polacek(Polasek) and or Klacman from moravia-Vsetin?

                    Blessings and Bounty

                    Tammy
                  • janapivec
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Owen" <dh-owen@...> wrote:

                      > Jana,
                      >
                      > Are there any TRLICA's in the book?
                      >
                      > Thanks. Dennis

                      Only the following--interested?

                      Trlicek, Jaroslav: 7
                      Trlicek, Joseph: 7
                    • janapivec
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Nangotoo" <nangotoo@...> wrote:

                        > Anything about the RECEK family? That would be in the Fayette Co
                        area or maybe even some in the Shiner area.
                        > Nan

                        This is the closest to Recek I found:
                        Rusek, Ignac: 15
                        Rusek, Joseph: 175, 176
                        Russek: 21
                        Russek, L.: 154
                      • janapivec
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Coiteux" <rcoiteux@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Anything about Polacek(Polasek) and or Klacman from moravia-Vsetin?
                          >
                          > Blessings and Bounty
                          >
                          > Tammy

                          Nothing even close to Klacman, but--
                          Polasek: 78, 124
                          pg. 124 (Latium entry): " Some 12 miles from Brenham, in Washington
                          County, is situated the Czech community of Latium, with a small frame
                          church, dedicated to St. Francis. Czech families came here in 1860,
                          when this country was still thick with wild forests. The Kadlecek
                          family were the first to have moved in, then came Supak, Tomascik,
                          Urban, Sitta, Stary, Janda, Janak, Pivetz, Kovar, Kocebucky, Orsak,
                          Macek, Grigar, Vojtek, Pisklak, Gerik, Duzil, Sulak, Krivacky, Gass,
                          Sklar, Bednar, Polasek, Raska, Sedlacek, and a number of others whose
                          names could not be learned."

                          Polasek, Agnes: 200
                          Polasek, Emil and Frances: 200
                          pg. 200 (Wallis entry): "On August 16, 1915 a violent Gulf Story
                          caused extensive damage to the church. . . The repairs on the storm
                          damaged church were completed in 1917. Frank and Rosalie Raska and
                          Frank and Karolina Pazderny donated the Main Altar at a value of
                          $1,000.00 to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary October 25,
                          1917. . . A Station of the Cross, donated $8.00 Agnes Polasek; Frank
                          and Apolena Jurek; Emil & Frances Polasek; Johanna Sliva; Joseph and
                          Johanna Melnar; Veronica Janovsky; Anna Pazderna; August and Albina
                          Rohan

                          Polasek, Fred: 30
                          pg. 30 (Corpus Christi entry): "In 1905 Joseph Oujezdsky and his
                          brother-in-law John Brandejsky from Bryan visited here. . . In July,
                          1906 he moved here permanently. . . It was a disappointment for him
                          how few Czech families followed him here. There were here at this
                          time Alois Cech, Mr. Hajny, a widowed elderly man. In the autumn of
                          that year Frank Kocurek came from Ellinger, Adolph Rohan from
                          Yorktown, Fred Polasek and Mr. Zezula from Granger and Jacob Koblizek
                          from Cameron.

                          Polasek, J. H.: 208
                          Pg. 208 (West entry): "The present [parish] board is comprised of
                          Monsignor Joseph Pelnar Chair; Father Edward J. Polcak, Secretary and
                          Treasurer; Frank Bezdek president of the local K.J.T. and director of
                          supreme lodge; j. l. Svrcek, Joseph Masek, Sr.; J. H. Polasek; F. M.
                          Marak; Charles Dvoracek; Adolph Muska; John E. Stanislav; Cemetery
                          Committee Vinc Urbanovsky, Sr.; Joseph Kotrla."

                          Polasek, John: 51, 60, 116
                          Pg. 60 (El Campo entry): "In 1897 the parishioners bought three and
                          half acres of land for $150.00 and in 1900 under the pastorship of
                          Father G. J. Hendrick they built the first frame church. The parish
                          committee was John Polasek, Adolph Mozisek and Joseph J. Vasicek Sr."

                          pg. 116 (Inez entry): "The first Czech families mentioned are in the
                          year of 1890 -- Paul Merecka; John Polasek; John Frydriech; Valentine
                          and Al. Srubar; Tom Charbula; and L. Krause."

                          Polasek, R. J.: 103
                          Pg. 102-3 (Hobson entry): "It was shortly after the accession to the
                          SEE of San Antonio, that Bishop Forest learned that in Karnes County
                          near the Wilson County border – the diocese had been ceded a number
                          of thousands of acres of land. . . . He . . . agreed to sell the
                          lands in 1898. The lands were an inheritance from the Bishop's
                          predecessor Bishop Neraz. As the price of land was rather low, a
                          number of families came from around Hallettsville and bought up the
                          land. Among these families was one William Kutac (Kutach); Joseph
                          Ondrej; Joseph Honc; Filip, and a few German Catholic families.
                          Frank Harmig and Kunz built a cotton gin. E. H. Mitchell with R. J.
                          Polasek built a brick store near the Railroad Station. R. J. Polasek
                          managed the store and also was an Express and Railroad agent."

                          Polasek, Rudolph: 31, 32
                          Pg. 31 (Corpus Christi entry): "In 1913 Father Joseph Klobouk came to
                          this parish . . . Then came the families of John Malchar, Alois Wolf,
                          Frank Malchar, Alois Motal, Anton Fritz, John Janosec Sr., Joe Ermis,
                          Karel Batrak, Kaspar Zdansky, John Wolf, and Andrew Pospech. . . .In
                          1914 came the family of Rudolph Polasek . . ."

                          Pg. 32 (Corpus Christi entry): "The first officers of the
                          lodge `Moravian' were President Leo Netak, Secretary, Rudolph
                          Polasek, Treasurer, Kaspar Sdansky."

                          Polasek, Rudolph J.: 14
                          pg. 14 (Breslau entry): "In 1880 Anton Konecny was the first pupil in
                          the Breslau School (son of Anton Konecny, Sr. still living). Then
                          came Rudolph J. Polasek now living in Hobson and J. M. Najvar."

                          Polasek, William (Vilem): 80
                          Pg. 80 (Floresville entry): "Of the pioneers we can mention Jacob
                          Zahn; Joseph Jansky; Bohuslav Pavlisk; William (Vilem) Polasek;
                          Thomas and Frank Chupik; Lambert Chylek; John Marecka; Matula and
                          Luke Strala."

                          Polasek, William: 201
                          pg. 201: "July 15 [1923] the following were elected for school
                          building board, Adolph Faltysek; Joseph Lalo; Joseph Melnar; and
                          William Polasek. They in cooperation with the parish board (Francis
                          Viaclovsky; Anton Hrusek; Sylvester Pazderny; Karel Macha; Prancis
                          Polak and Francis Pazderny) were to see to the collections of
                          donations and the proper construction of the new school . . . Through
                          hard and earnest work of Mrs. Marie Hundl, donations collected by
                          her, a statue of St. Theresa, the Little Flower, was blest October 7,
                          1928."
                        • G Martisek
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                            Jana,

                            On page 200 you referenced the "Wallis entry". Several of my family were
                            mentioned there. Did you type the entire text of the Wallis entry?

                            Thanks,
                            Gerri

                            janapivec wrote:

> [...]
                            >
                            > Polasek, William (Vilem): 80
                            > Pg. 80 (Floresville entry): "Of the pioneers we can mention Jacob
                            > Zahn; Joseph Jansky; Bohuslav Pavlisk; William (Vilem) Polasek;
                            > Thomas and Frank Chupik; Lambert Chylek; John Marecka; Matula and
                            > Luke Strala."
                            >
                            > Polasek, William: 201
                            > pg. 201: "July 15 [1923] the following were elected for school
                            > building board, Adolph Faltysek; Joseph Lalo; Joseph Melnar; and
                            > William Polasek. They in cooperation with the parish board (Francis
                            > Viaclovsky; Anton Hrusek; Sylvester Pazderny; Karel Macha; Prancis
                            > Polak and Francis Pazderny) were to see to the collections of
                            > donations and the proper construction of the new school . . . Through
                            > hard and earnest work of Mrs. Marie Hundl, donations collected by
                            > her, a statue of St. Theresa, the Little Flower, was blest October 7,

                          • janapivec
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 9, 2007
                              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, G Martisek <gerri@...> wrote:

                              > Jana,
                              >
                              > On page 200 you referenced the "Wallis entry". Several of my family
                              were
                              > mentioned there. Did you type the entire text of the Wallis entry?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Gerri

                              No, I just tried to pick out the paragraphs that contained the names
                              requested. Did you need some other names?
                            • G Martisek
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 10, 2007
                                I would appreciate it very much if you would check for Melnar,
                                Viaclovsky and Stavinoha.

                                Thanks,
                                Gerri

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 11, 2007
                                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, G Martisek <gerri@...> wrote:

                                  > I would appreciate it very much if you would check for Melnar,
                                  > Viaclovsky and Stavinoha.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Gerri
                                  Melnar, Joseph: 201
                                  Viaclovsky, Francis: 201
                                  pg. 201: "July 15 [1923] the following were elected for school
                                  building board, Adolph Faltysek; Joseph Lalo; Joseph Melnar; and
                                  William Polasek. They in cooperation with the parish board (Francis
                                  Viaclovsky; Anton Hrusek; Sylvester Pazderny; Karel Macha; Prancis
                                  Polak and Francis Pazderny) were to see to the collections of
                                  donations and the proper construction of the new school . .

                                  Melnar, Joseph and Johanna: 200
                                  pg. 200 (Wallis entry):: "On August 16, 1915 a violent Gulf Story
                                  caused extensive damage to the church. . . The repairs on the storm
                                  damaged church were completed in 1917. Frank and Rosalie Raska and
                                  Frank and Karolina Pazderny donated the Main Altar at a value of
                                  $1,000.00 to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary October 25,
                                  1917. . . A Station of the Cross, donated $8.00 Agnes Polasek; Frank
                                  and Apolena Jurek; Emil & Frances Polasek; Johanna Sliva; Joseph and
                                  Johanna Melnar; Veronica Janovsky; Anna Pazderna; August and Albina
                                  Rohan .

                                  Stavinoha: 138
                                  pg. 137-138 (Needville entry): "By the year of 1911, there were some
                                  30 Catholic families in this community. Joseph Fojtik; Thomas
                                  Kostelnik; near Fairchilds the Kneitz family; Nesvadba; Vacek;
                                  Stavinoha; Frank Horak and a number of others."

                                  Stavinoha, Andrew: 106
                                  pg. 106 (Hostyn entry): "Among the first Catholic pioneers - - from
                                  1850 to 1860 we find the following names; Charles Ehlinger; John
                                  Becka; John Stojanik; John Odlozilik; John Pavlicek; Kubica; John
                                  Zapalac; Joseph Lastovica; Anton Hoelscher; Joseph Sommet; John
                                  Sladek; Frank Dechenski; Anton Raab; Robert Embrough; Andrew
                                  Stavinoha; John Janak; Henry Ehlinger; Joseph Vychopen; Joseph
                                  Hoelscher; Joseph Fitsam; John Neumann; Fred Donath; Joseph
                                  Hoelscher; Engelbert Jezisek; Frank Koniakowski; Martin Skopik; Frank
                                  Horak; Anton Knesek; James Koehl. . . The oldest parishioner born
                                  November 1, 1860 still living – Karel Becka."

                                  Stavinoha, Cyril: 118, 188
                                  Stavinoha, Felix and Cyrill: 187
                                  Pg. 118 (Jourdanton entry): "In 1919 came Joseph Valigura and in 1920
                                  Cyrill Stavinoha."
                                  pg. 187 (Taiton entry): "Mr. Charles Drastata writes in his
                                  parish `Notes': the first Czech-Moravian families – Frank Buzek and
                                  Anthony Hajovsky came to Taiton in 1890. From 1894 to 1899 came
                                  Bacak; John Pratka; Joseph, Anton and Ludwig Sliva. Ludwig Sumbera,
                                  Frank Krupa; John Najzer Sr., and his married son Edward, Frank
                                  Gurecky, Felix & Cyrill Stavinoha; Ignac Kahanek; Vincent Macek Sr.,
                                  Frank Drastata; Ignac Jurasek; John Merta; John Peter; Joseph Dluhos;
                                  Joseph Valigura; John Srubar; John Valigura; William Mazoch; John
                                  Holub; Frank Lichnovsky and Joseph Dorotik."

                                  Stavinoha, Felix: 103, 204
                                  pg. 103 (Holman entry): "Anton and Frank Hluchanek have settled here
                                  better than 50 years ago. At the same time with them came Anthony
                                  Cernosek; Najzer; Toman; Felix Stavinoha; who later moved to Weimar.
                                  There are [assume 1939] some 50 Catholic families, mostly Czech. . .
                                  Frank Vacek has a business with cold drinks. . "

                                  Stavinoha, Joseph: 4
                                  pg. 4 (Ammansville entry): "In 1876 Henry Holster opened a store for
                                  himself which he later sold to Valentine Srubar, afterwards taken
                                  over by Paul Farek, then by Valentine Tkadlecek and about in 1890 was
                                  bought by Joseph Stavinoha who remodeled everything and added a dance
                                  hall. Because of ill health he sold out to Joseph F. Lidiak, who
                                  again sold out to Peter Jurcak then, to Joe Anders and to Jindrich
                                  (Henry) Kneble, then to John Barta and finally to Joseph Barton."

                                  Stavinoha, R. M.: 154
                                  Pg. 154 (Praha entry): "Missions of Praha -- . . .Engle; mission some
                                  4 miles east of Praha. First settler Ignac Sramek and John Morris in
                                  1880. City organized in 1884. First store by Mr. Nezenburg, then
                                  came L. Russek; I. J. Gallia; J. C. Bucek. Later came Adolph Herzik
                                  and Filip Kalus. William Kopecky; R. M. Stavinoha. Krzka, a
                                  blacksmith."

                                  Viaclovsky, Frank and Agnes: 199
                                  Viaclavsky, Charles: 199
                                  pg. 199 (Wallis entry): "With the cash from subscriptions of
                                  $10,000.00, plans were made [in 1913] to begin construction of the
                                  proposed new church. The family of Frank Pazderny with the largest
                                  donation and Ignac Holub, Alois Pustejovsky and Frank Raska each
                                  donated the sum of $500.00. . . Father Charles Kacer preached in
                                  Czech, Father Paul F. Nemec of Sealy in English. The first baptism
                                  in this new church December 23, 1913, Charles Viaclavsky, son of
                                  Frank and Agnes Viaclovsky."

                                  Viaclovsky, John: 197
                                  pg. 197 (Wallis entry): "By the year of 1892 the following families
                                  were here -- August Toman; Ada Kyselica; Frank Jurek; John
                                  Viaclovsky; Andrew (Ondrej) Srubar; August Petrash; Frank Dolejs,
                                  Filip Krejcick; Vincenc Urbanec and Andrew (Ondrej) Lichnovsky. These
                                  families together build a school for their children on a four acre
                                  plot of land donated for the school, church and a cemetery by Frank
                                  V. Smid. . . . October 2, 1892 with the help of Father Karel Kacer
                                  the St. Joseph's K.J.T #16 was organized."

                                  These I need to look up:

                                  Stavinoha, A. H.: 147
                                  Stavinoha, C.: 147
                                  Stavinoha, C. L.: 100
                                  Stavinoha, Felix: 204
                                  Stavinoha, I.: 168
                                  Stavinoha, John: 193
                                  Stavinoha, K.: 139
                                  Stavinoha, Matilda: 118
                                  Viaclovsky, Francis: 198
                                • charles kretzschmar
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 12, 2007
                                    this book you have is great.
                                    i noticed ammannsville and hostyn
                                    records in the book.  do you have
                                    any genzer and/or slovak records
                                    for ammannsville and/or hostyn????

                                    angelina genzer kretzschmar

                                  • janapivec
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 13, 2007
                                      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, charles kretzschmar
                                      <charleskretzschmar@...> wrote:

                                      > this book you have is great.
                                      > i noticed ammannsville and hostyn
                                      > records in the book. do you have
                                      > any genzer and/or slovak records
                                      > for ammannsville and/or hostyn????
                                      >
                                      > angelina genzer kretzschmar

                                      Hi, Angelina, and to all who have offered their thanks, it is my
                                      pleasure. It is so nice to have these little personal glimpses of
                                      ancestors.

                                      pg. 51: "During the First World War a bronze plaque, value of $150.00
                                      was bought, carrying the names of soldiers of this parish, Alois
                                      Beran; Ondrey (Andrew) Beran; Robert Dobias; Frank Fried; John
                                      Genzer; Alfred Grigar; Frank Hlavinka; Vaclav Hradeckyky; John Janis;
                                      Joseph Jochec; Robert Jochec; John Kcera; Ladislav Mark; Edward
                                      Joseph Mueller; Joseph Petrash; John Polasek; Ignac Pustka; Frank
                                      Sasin; Alfred Staffa; Frank Staffa; Joseph Sulak; Peter Sulak; Frank
                                      Svec; Albert Sykora; John Tomasek; Stephen Valigura; Clement Vecera;
                                      Francis Vitek; Arnost Walzel; Ferdinand Wojtek; Frank Zapalac; with
                                      an inscription. 'They were ready to lay down their lives for their
                                      country, 1917 and 1918.'"

                                      pg. 53(East Bernard entry, pgs 48-57): "The Catholic Societies in the
                                      parish are; St. Vaclav K.J.T. #40 founded June 16, 1905. The charter
                                      members were August Morris; John Vacek; Robert Brandl; Frank Toman;
                                      Frank Polak; John Slovak; John Skalicky; Roman Adamcik. St. Anne's
                                      K.J.Z.T. #30 founded June 11, 1900 with Marie Smajstrla; Otilie
                                      Prazak; Anna Srubar; Anna Toman; Agnes Viktorin; Frances Hlavinka;
                                      Bozena Keprta. This Society gave the sum of $1,000.00 for the new
                                      church and also $1,000 for the new school."

                                      pg. 54(East Bernard entry, pgs 48-57): "Statues donated to the
                                      Church: . . . Pieta – donated by Mrs Katerina Slovak, in memory of
                                      her husband Valentin, blest November 24, 1924"

                                      pg. 61 (El Campo entry): "There are some 3,000 citizens in El Campo
                                      now. The lands around are very fertile. Rice, being the principal
                                      crop. There is a large Rice Dryer – Rice Mill. Mr. F. J. Stoker,
                                      Czech, is for many years keeper here. Anton Peter and Ed Steffek are
                                      employees here. . . . Senator L. J. Sulak moved here the oldest
                                      printshop and a weekly `SVOBODA.' John Pavlik is the editor. William
                                      Slovak, typesetter"

                                      Pg. 68 in Ennis, subhead History of S. Peter & Paul Society #83
[...]

                                      Pg. 68 in Ennis, subhead History of Ss. Cyrill & Methodius
                                      Society: "The Society of Ss. Cyrill & Methodius number 111 of
                                      Katolicky Delnik (The Catholic Workman) was organized the 8th of
                                      September 1908—the following were the original members – Frank
                                      Sobotik, John Krajca, Fr. C. Kallus and Alois Marusak, Sr. There were
                                      15 original members in all. In addition to the above mentioned;
                                      Joseph Krajca, Frank Mach, Joseph J. Vrana, Anton Horak, Alois
                                      Novosad, Joseph L. Mach, John Hubacek, Frank Holub, John K. Mach,
                                      Valentine Horak and Joseph Slovak."