svrcek index??

  • michelle
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 1, 2007
      WHAT is the Svrcek Index and what information can I learn from it??
    • janapivec
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "michelle" <r-mbeeman@...> wrote:

        > WHAT is the Svrcek Index and what information can I learn from it??

        Hi, Michelle. the 'Svrcek Index' is an index I did of a book
        published in 1939, translated and edited by the Rev. V. A. Svrcek,
        entitled "A History of the Czech-Moravian Catholic Communities of
        Texas". It is organized by community, and has wonderful stories, but
        made me nuts because there was no index. So I did one--imperfect, I
        know--I have been chastised for my typos.

        Anyway, If there are names in the index that you want to see the
        entries for, let me know, and I will post the text of the entries. I
        think there are a couple of other people on the list that also have
        the book.

        Best wishes, jana-p
      • michelle
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 2, 2007
          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

          > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "michelle" <r-mbeeman@> wrote:
          > >
          > > WHAT is the Svrcek Index and what information can I learn from
          it??

          > Hi, Michelle. the 'Svrcek Index' is an index I did of a book
          > published in 1939, translated and edited by the Rev. V. A. Svrcek,
          > entitled "A History of the Czech-Moravian Catholic Communities of
          > Texas". It is organized by community, and has wonderful stories,
          but
          > made me nuts because there was no index. So I did one--imperfect,
          > know--I have been chastised for my typos.
          >
          > Anyway, If there are names in the index that you want to see the
          > entries for, let me know, and I will post the text of the entries.
          > think there are a couple of other people on the list that also have
          > the book.
          >
          > Best wishes, jana-p

          I am interested in the Valek families but I'm not sure if they would
          be in the book because of the year it was published. My Valeks
          either died or moved away by 1930's. They were in TX 1880-1925.
        • janapivec
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 3, 2007
            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "michelle" <r-mbeeman@...> wrote:
            > I am interested in the Valek families but I'm not sure if they would
            > be in the book because of the year it was published. My Valeks
            > either died or moved away by 1930's. They were in TX 1880-1925.

            A typical entry lists early settlers, so it is possible that there
            might be some mention. I have the book at home, but according to the
            index, there are these entries (the numbers are page numbers):

            Valek: 22
            Valek, Joe A.: 67
            Valek, John: 24, 67
            Valek, Joseph: 63, 68
          • michelle
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 3, 2007
              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

              > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "michelle" <r-mbeeman@> wrote:
              > > I am interested in the Valek families but I'm not sure if they
              would
              > > be in the book because of the year it was published. My Valeks
              > > either died or moved away by 1930's. They were in TX 1880-1925.
              > >
              > A typical entry lists early settlers, so it is possible that there
              > might be some mention. I have the book at home, but according to the
              > index, there are these entries (the numbers are page numbers):
              >
              > Valek: 22
              > Valek, Joe A.: 67
              > Valek, John: 24, 67
              > Valek, Joseph: 63, 68

              Now I'm excited! How can I get the information from the book?
            • janapivec
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
                Here ya go!

                > there are these entries (the numbers are page numbers):
                > >
                > > Valek: 22
                > > Valek, Joe A.: 67
                > > Valek, John: 24, 67
                > > Valek, Joseph: 63, 68

                pg. 22 (Cameron entry): "Some Czech-Catholics came in 1887. Roman
                Parma was still living at the time this page of history was written.
                He says of himself, ". . . I moved to Cameron in 1887. . . Later more
                families arrived from other parts of the state and also from Europe.
                Families like: Motocha, Stoklas, Valek, Mondrik and as the number of
                Czech-Catholics increased a Czech priest visited here occassionally
                [sic]. Such as Father Joseph Pelnar, Father Pridal and Karel Kacer.
                First baptism on the books of the parish are twins born to the
                Mondrik family from Marak. They were baptized Amalia and Teresie on
                November 24, 1884 by father J. Lauth, the first appointed pastor for
                this parish."

                Pg. 24 (Cistern entry): "Even before 1881 some Czech families settled
                here: -- Antonin Ferdinand, Frank and John Psencik, Mathew and Joseph
                Ziegelbauer, Frantisek Holub, John Machacek. Sr., John Machacek Jr.,
                Frank Hanzelka, Adolph Kreml, Vincent and Joseph Maresh, Antonin
                Hybner and John Valek."

                Pg. 63 (Ennis entry): "The first Czech came here from Europe, as far
                as the records do show, was John Jacob (Jakub) Sebesta from Netolice
                Ceske Budejovice in the year of 1873. At that time Ennis was a mere
                village with some stores. Round and about town was a wild prairie,
                covered with tall grasses. Here and there perhaps some thick forests.
                There were no roads nor any fences. Two years later, 1875,few
                families came from England and France. Also the families of
                Bartholomew Lanicky from Zdanice near Brno, who had lived 3 years in
                Bryan and then moved here. The following year two more families
                arrived. This handful of settlers gave the nucleus to a new parish.
                They bought an old house and remodelled it into a smal [sic] church.
                Father Tion came from Corsicana every second Sunday and said Holy
                Mass for the people. One of the English families donated two acres of
                land for a cemetery. In the coming years the country showed fast
                growth, some Czech families came from Gainsville, Cook County, and
                again others came from Europe—among these were the families of John
                Patril, John Vrla, John Vrana, John Dlabay, Joseph Haba, Frank
                Drajca, Joseph Valek, Joseph Novosad, Joseph Vitovsky, John Vlk, John
                Mach, John Langer, and Frank Patak. Most of these have passed away
                by this time."

                Pg. 67 (Ennis entry): "History records of the parish show that in the
                beginning of the century – the Czech Catholics came to a very
                important decision – to separate themselves from the other
                nationalities of the parish and organize a Czech parish of their
                own. Thus they also organized their own school. This also gave rise
                to the resolution to unite themselves into societies of their own.
                Thus in the year of 1900 on the 15th of August, the St. Joseph's
                K.J.T. #35 was organized. Its original members were John Patak, John
                Slovacek, Joseph Vitovsky, Joseph Vrana, Joseph Slovacek, John Luza,
                Joseph Jaresh, John Krajca. The first elected officers were: Francis
                Mikula, president; John Valek, sick committee.

                Pg. 67 (Ennis entry): "In 1935 the K.J.T. Society celebrated its 35th
                Jubilee of existence. . . . At the time of the writing of these lines
                the officers are; Father Vincent Micola, Chaplain; I. J. Parma,
                president; Frank. K. Spaniel, vice president; Joseph Odlozil,
                secretary; Joe A. Valek, accountant; J. B. Kulhanek, treasurer; John
                Lanicek, representative, . . . "

                Pg. 68 (Ennis entry, subhead History of S. Peter & Paul Society #83
                (Prvni Ustredni Jednota) The First Central Union): "In the annals of
                St. John Nepomucenus parish of Ennis, we read that in 1883, a society
                of Ss. Peter and Paul was organized. Our countrymen arriving here
                without any knowledge of the language of the country- difficulty in
                communication with others-for that purpose they had organized into a
                group-tightly knitted together for their social and religious
                benefits. They formed this society to be able better to communicate
                with each other and other branches of the society, in other parts of
                this their new country. Thus, the St. John Nepomucenus society was
                the first one herabouts. The founders of this society were - John
                Sebesta, Frank Patak, John Plasek, Joseph Valek and Bartholomew
                Lanicek. At this time all of these good men are resting there in that
                consecrated ground - our cemetery. . . At present there are 28
                members living, Father Francis Kowalski, chaplain; Alois Kuchar,
                president; Richard Kriska, vice-president; Joseph R. Slovak,
                secretary; Stanislav Kriska, financial-secretary; Ferdinand Petrash,
                treasurer and representative."
              • michelle
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
> [...]
                  > communication with others-for that purpose they had organized into
                  > group-tightly knitted together for their social and religious
                  > benefits. They formed this society to be able better to communicate
                  > with each other and other branches of the society, in other parts
                  of
                  > this their new country. Thus, the St. John Nepomucenus society was
                  > the first one herabouts. The founders of this society were - John
                  > Sebesta, Frank Patak, John Plasek, Joseph Valek and Bartholomew
                  > Lanicek. At this time all of these good men are resting there in
                  that
                  > consecrated ground - our cemetery. . . At present there are 28
                  > members living, Father Francis Kowalski, chaplain; Alois Kuchar,
                  > president; Richard Kriska, vice-president; Joseph R. Slovak,
                  > secretary; Stanislav Kriska, financial-secretary; Ferdinand

                  I have to be honest - I slept through most of my History classes. I
                  have learned more history through doing genealogy than I ever learned
                  in school. Just don't ask me to take a test!

                  Thank you for the information AND for making an index for such an
                  interesting piece of history. I am sure MANY researchers appreciate
                  it.

                  Michelle

                • Dennis Owen
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
                    Jana,

                    Are there any TRLICA's in the book?

                    Thanks. Dennis

                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "janapivec" <jesenwei@...> wrote:

                    > --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "michelle" <r-mbeeman@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > WHAT is the Svrcek Index and what information can I learn from
                    it??

                    > Hi, Michelle. the 'Svrcek Index' is an index I did of a book
                    > published in 1939, translated and edited by the Rev. V. A. Svrcek,
                    > entitled "A History of the Czech-Moravian Catholic Communities of
                    > Texas". It is organized by community, and has wonderful stories,
                    but
                    > made me nuts because there was no index. So I did one--imperfect,
                    > know--I have been chastised for my typos.
                    >
                    > Anyway, If there are names in the index that you want to see the
                    > entries for, let me know, and I will post the text of the entries.
                    > think there are a couple of other people on the list that also have
                    > the book.
                    >
                    > Best wishes, jana-p

                  • Nangotoo
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
                      Anything about the RECEK family?  That would be in the Fayette Co area or maybe even some in the Shiner area.
                      Nan

                      .

                    • Robert Coiteux
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 4, 2007
                        Anything about Polacek(Polasek) and or Klacman from moravia-Vsetin?

                        Blessings and Bounty

                        Tammy
                      • janapivec
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Owen" <dh-owen@...> wrote:

                          > Jana,
                          >
                          > Are there any TRLICA's in the book?
                          >
                          > Thanks. Dennis

                          Only the following--interested?

                          Trlicek, Jaroslav: 7
                          Trlicek, Joseph: 7
                        • janapivec
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Nangotoo" <nangotoo@...> wrote:

                            > Anything about the RECEK family? That would be in the Fayette Co
                            area or maybe even some in the Shiner area.
                            > Nan

                            This is the closest to Recek I found:
                            Rusek, Ignac: 15
                            Rusek, Joseph: 175, 176
                            Russek: 21
                            Russek, L.: 154
                          • janapivec
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Coiteux" <rcoiteux@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Anything about Polacek(Polasek) and or Klacman from moravia-Vsetin?
                              >
                              > Blessings and Bounty
                              >
                              > Tammy

                              Nothing even close to Klacman, but--
                              Polasek: 78, 124
                              pg. 124 (Latium entry): " Some 12 miles from Brenham, in Washington
                              County, is situated the Czech community of Latium, with a small frame
                              church, dedicated to St. Francis. Czech families came here in 1860,
                              when this country was still thick with wild forests. The Kadlecek
                              family were the first to have moved in, then came Supak, Tomascik,
                              Urban, Sitta, Stary, Janda, Janak, Pivetz, Kovar, Kocebucky, Orsak,
                              Macek, Grigar, Vojtek, Pisklak, Gerik, Duzil, Sulak, Krivacky, Gass,
                              Sklar, Bednar, Polasek, Raska, Sedlacek, and a number of others whose
                              names could not be learned."

                              Polasek, Agnes: 200
                              Polasek, Emil and Frances: 200
                              pg. 200 (Wallis entry): "On August 16, 1915 a violent Gulf Story
                              caused extensive damage to the church. . . The repairs on the storm
                              damaged church were completed in 1917. Frank and Rosalie Raska and
                              Frank and Karolina Pazderny donated the Main Altar at a value of
                              $1,000.00 to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary October 25,
                              1917. . . A Station of the Cross, donated $8.00 Agnes Polasek; Frank
                              and Apolena Jurek; Emil & Frances Polasek; Johanna Sliva; Joseph and
                              Johanna Melnar; Veronica Janovsky; Anna Pazderna; August and Albina
                              Rohan

                              Polasek, Fred: 30
                              pg. 30 (Corpus Christi entry): "In 1905 Joseph Oujezdsky and his
                              brother-in-law John Brandejsky from Bryan visited here. . . In July,
                              1906 he moved here permanently. . . It was a disappointment for him
                              how few Czech families followed him here. There were here at this
                              time Alois Cech, Mr. Hajny, a widowed elderly man. In the autumn of
                              that year Frank Kocurek came from Ellinger, Adolph Rohan from
                              Yorktown, Fred Polasek and Mr. Zezula from Granger and Jacob Koblizek
                              from Cameron.

                              Polasek, J. H.: 208
                              Pg. 208 (West entry): "The present [parish] board is comprised of
                              Monsignor Joseph Pelnar Chair; Father Edward J. Polcak, Secretary and
                              Treasurer; Frank Bezdek president of the local K.J.T. and director of
                              supreme lodge; j. l. Svrcek, Joseph Masek, Sr.; J. H. Polasek; F. M.
                              Marak; Charles Dvoracek; Adolph Muska; John E. Stanislav; Cemetery
                              Committee Vinc Urbanovsky, Sr.; Joseph Kotrla."

                              Polasek, John: 51, 60, 116
                              Pg. 60 (El Campo entry): "In 1897 the parishioners bought three and
                              half acres of land for $150.00 and in 1900 under the pastorship of
                              Father G. J. Hendrick they built the first frame church. The parish
                              committee was John Polasek, Adolph Mozisek and Joseph J. Vasicek Sr."

                              pg. 116 (Inez entry): "The first Czech families mentioned are in the
                              year of 1890 -- Paul Merecka; John Polasek; John Frydriech; Valentine
                              and Al. Srubar; Tom Charbula; and L. Krause."

                              Polasek, R. J.: 103
                              Pg. 102-3 (Hobson entry): "It was shortly after the accession to the
                              SEE of San Antonio, that Bishop Forest learned that in Karnes County
                              near the Wilson County border – the diocese had been ceded a number
                              of thousands of acres of land. . . . He . . . agreed to sell the
                              lands in 1898. The lands were an inheritance from the Bishop's
                              predecessor Bishop Neraz. As the price of land was rather low, a
                              number of families came from around Hallettsville and bought up the
                              land. Among these families was one William Kutac (Kutach); Joseph
                              Ondrej; Joseph Honc; Filip, and a few German Catholic families.
                              Frank Harmig and Kunz built a cotton gin. E. H. Mitchell with R. J.
                              Polasek built a brick store near the Railroad Station. R. J. Polasek
                              managed the store and also was an Express and Railroad agent."

                              Polasek, Rudolph: 31, 32
                              Pg. 31 (Corpus Christi entry): "In 1913 Father Joseph Klobouk came to
                              this parish . . . Then came the families of John Malchar, Alois Wolf,
                              Frank Malchar, Alois Motal, Anton Fritz, John Janosec Sr., Joe Ermis,
                              Karel Batrak, Kaspar Zdansky, John Wolf, and Andrew Pospech. . . .In
                              1914 came the family of Rudolph Polasek . . ."

                              Pg. 32 (Corpus Christi entry): "The first officers of the
                              lodge `Moravian' were President Leo Netak, Secretary, Rudolph
                              Polasek, Treasurer, Kaspar Sdansky."

                              Polasek, Rudolph J.: 14
                              pg. 14 (Breslau entry): "In 1880 Anton Konecny was the first pupil in
                              the Breslau School (son of Anton Konecny, Sr. still living). Then
                              came Rudolph J. Polasek now living in Hobson and J. M. Najvar."

                              Polasek, William (Vilem): 80
                              Pg. 80 (Floresville entry): "Of the pioneers we can mention Jacob
                              Zahn; Joseph Jansky; Bohuslav Pavlisk; William (Vilem) Polasek;
                              Thomas and Frank Chupik; Lambert Chylek; John Marecka; Matula and
                              Luke Strala."

                              Polasek, William: 201
                              pg. 201: "July 15 [1923] the following were elected for school
                              building board, Adolph Faltysek; Joseph Lalo; Joseph Melnar; and
                              William Polasek. They in cooperation with the parish board (Francis
                              Viaclovsky; Anton Hrusek; Sylvester Pazderny; Karel Macha; Prancis
                              Polak and Francis Pazderny) were to see to the collections of
                              donations and the proper construction of the new school . . . Through
                              hard and earnest work of Mrs. Marie Hundl, donations collected by
                              her, a statue of St. Theresa, the Little Flower, was blest October 7,
                              1928."
                            • G Martisek
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 8, 2007
                                Jana,

                                On page 200 you referenced the "Wallis entry". Several of my family were
                                mentioned there. Did you type the entire text of the Wallis entry?

                                Thanks,
                                Gerri

                                janapivec wrote:

> [...]
                                >
                                > Polasek, William (Vilem): 80
                                > Pg. 80 (Floresville entry): "Of the pioneers we can mention Jacob
                                > Zahn; Joseph Jansky; Bohuslav Pavlisk; William (Vilem) Polasek;
                                > Thomas and Frank Chupik; Lambert Chylek; John Marecka; Matula and
                                > Luke Strala."
                                >
                                > Polasek, William: 201
                                > pg. 201: "July 15 [1923] the following were elected for school
                                > building board, Adolph Faltysek; Joseph Lalo; Joseph Melnar; and
                                > William Polasek. They in cooperation with the parish board (Francis
                                > Viaclovsky; Anton Hrusek; Sylvester Pazderny; Karel Macha; Prancis
                                > Polak and Francis Pazderny) were to see to the collections of
                                > donations and the proper construction of the new school . . . Through
                                > hard and earnest work of Mrs. Marie Hundl, donations collected by
                                > her, a statue of St. Theresa, the Little Flower, was blest October 7,

                              • janapivec
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 9, 2007
                                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, G Martisek <gerri@...> wrote:

                                  > Jana,
                                  >
                                  > On page 200 you referenced the "Wallis entry". Several of my family
                                  were
                                  > mentioned there. Did you type the entire text of the Wallis entry?
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  > Gerri

                                  No, I just tried to pick out the paragraphs that contained the names
                                  requested. Did you need some other names?
                                • G Martisek
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 10, 2007
                                    I would appreciate it very much if you would check for Melnar,
                                    Viaclovsky and Stavinoha.

                                    Thanks,
                                    Gerri

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 11, 2007
                                      --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, G Martisek <gerri@...> wrote:

                                      > I would appreciate it very much if you would check for Melnar,
                                      > Viaclovsky and Stavinoha.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks,
                                      > Gerri
                                      Melnar, Joseph: 201
                                      Viaclovsky, Francis: 201
                                      pg. 201: "July 15 [1923] the following were elected for school
                                      building board, Adolph Faltysek; Joseph Lalo; Joseph Melnar; and
                                      William Polasek. They in cooperation with the parish board (Francis
                                      Viaclovsky; Anton Hrusek; Sylvester Pazderny; Karel Macha; Prancis
                                      Polak and Francis Pazderny) were to see to the collections of
                                      donations and the proper construction of the new school . .

                                      Melnar, Joseph and Johanna: 200
                                      pg. 200 (Wallis entry):: "On August 16, 1915 a violent Gulf Story
                                      caused extensive damage to the church. . . The repairs on the storm
                                      damaged church were completed in 1917. Frank and Rosalie Raska and
                                      Frank and Karolina Pazderny donated the Main Altar at a value of
                                      $1,000.00 to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary October 25,
                                      1917. . . A Station of the Cross, donated $8.00 Agnes Polasek; Frank
                                      and Apolena Jurek; Emil & Frances Polasek; Johanna Sliva; Joseph and
                                      Johanna Melnar; Veronica Janovsky; Anna Pazderna; August and Albina
                                      Rohan .

                                      Stavinoha: 138
                                      pg. 137-138 (Needville entry): "By the year of 1911, there were some
                                      30 Catholic families in this community. Joseph Fojtik; Thomas
                                      Kostelnik; near Fairchilds the Kneitz family; Nesvadba; Vacek;
                                      Stavinoha; Frank Horak and a number of others."

                                      Stavinoha, Andrew: 106
                                      pg. 106 (Hostyn entry): "Among the first Catholic pioneers - - from
                                      1850 to 1860 we find the following names; Charles Ehlinger; John
                                      Becka; John Stojanik; John Odlozilik; John Pavlicek; Kubica; John
                                      Zapalac; Joseph Lastovica; Anton Hoelscher; Joseph Sommet; John
                                      Sladek; Frank Dechenski; Anton Raab; Robert Embrough; Andrew
                                      Stavinoha; John Janak; Henry Ehlinger; Joseph Vychopen; Joseph
                                      Hoelscher; Joseph Fitsam; John Neumann; Fred Donath; Joseph
                                      Hoelscher; Engelbert Jezisek; Frank Koniakowski; Martin Skopik; Frank
                                      Horak; Anton Knesek; James Koehl. . . The oldest parishioner born
                                      November 1, 1860 still living – Karel Becka."

                                      Stavinoha, Cyril: 118, 188
                                      Stavinoha, Felix and Cyrill: 187
                                      Pg. 118 (Jourdanton entry): "In 1919 came Joseph Valigura and in 1920
                                      Cyrill Stavinoha."
                                      pg. 187 (Taiton entry): "Mr. Charles Drastata writes in his
                                      parish `Notes': the first Czech-Moravian families – Frank Buzek and
                                      Anthony Hajovsky came to Taiton in 1890. From 1894 to 1899 came
                                      Bacak; John Pratka; Joseph, Anton and Ludwig Sliva. Ludwig Sumbera,
                                      Frank Krupa; John Najzer Sr., and his married son Edward, Frank
                                      Gurecky, Felix & Cyrill Stavinoha; Ignac Kahanek; Vincent Macek Sr.,
                                      Frank Drastata; Ignac Jurasek; John Merta; John Peter; Joseph Dluhos;
                                      Joseph Valigura; John Srubar; John Valigura; William Mazoch; John
                                      Holub; Frank Lichnovsky and Joseph Dorotik."

                                      Stavinoha, Felix: 103, 204
                                      pg. 103 (Holman entry): "Anton and Frank Hluchanek have settled here
                                      better than 50 years ago. At the same time with them came Anthony
                                      Cernosek; Najzer; Toman; Felix Stavinoha; who later moved to Weimar.
                                      There are [assume 1939] some 50 Catholic families, mostly Czech. . .
                                      Frank Vacek has a business with cold drinks. . "

                                      Stavinoha, Joseph: 4
                                      pg. 4 (Ammansville entry): "In 1876 Henry Holster opened a store for
                                      himself which he later sold to Valentine Srubar, afterwards taken
                                      over by Paul Farek, then by Valentine Tkadlecek and about in 1890 was
                                      bought by Joseph Stavinoha who remodeled everything and added a dance
                                      hall. Because of ill health he sold out to Joseph F. Lidiak, who
                                      again sold out to Peter Jurcak then, to Joe Anders and to Jindrich
                                      (Henry) Kneble, then to John Barta and finally to Joseph Barton."

                                      Stavinoha, R. M.: 154
                                      Pg. 154 (Praha entry): "Missions of Praha -- . . .Engle; mission some
                                      4 miles east of Praha. First settler Ignac Sramek and John Morris in
                                      1880. City organized in 1884. First store by Mr. Nezenburg, then
                                      came L. Russek; I. J. Gallia; J. C. Bucek. Later came Adolph Herzik
                                      and Filip Kalus. William Kopecky; R. M. Stavinoha. Krzka, a
                                      blacksmith."

                                      Viaclovsky, Frank and Agnes: 199
                                      Viaclavsky, Charles: 199
                                      pg. 199 (Wallis entry): "With the cash from subscriptions of
                                      $10,000.00, plans were made [in 1913] to begin construction of the
                                      proposed new church. The family of Frank Pazderny with the largest
                                      donation and Ignac Holub, Alois Pustejovsky and Frank Raska each
                                      donated the sum of $500.00. . . Father Charles Kacer preached in
                                      Czech, Father Paul F. Nemec of Sealy in English. The first baptism
                                      in this new church December 23, 1913, Charles Viaclavsky, son of
                                      Frank and Agnes Viaclovsky."

                                      Viaclovsky, John: 197
                                      pg. 197 (Wallis entry): "By the year of 1892 the following families
                                      were here -- August Toman; Ada Kyselica; Frank Jurek; John
                                      Viaclovsky; Andrew (Ondrej) Srubar; August Petrash; Frank Dolejs,
                                      Filip Krejcick; Vincenc Urbanec and Andrew (Ondrej) Lichnovsky. These
                                      families together build a school for their children on a four acre
                                      plot of land donated for the school, church and a cemetery by Frank
                                      V. Smid. . . . October 2, 1892 with the help of Father Karel Kacer
                                      the St. Joseph's K.J.T #16 was organized."

                                      These I need to look up:

                                      Stavinoha, A. H.: 147
                                      Stavinoha, C.: 147
                                      Stavinoha, C. L.: 100
                                      Stavinoha, Felix: 204
                                      Stavinoha, I.: 168
                                      Stavinoha, John: 193
                                      Stavinoha, K.: 139
                                      Stavinoha, Matilda: 118
                                      Viaclovsky, Francis: 198
                                    • charles kretzschmar
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 12, 2007
                                        this book you have is great.
                                        i noticed ammannsville and hostyn
                                        records in the book.  do you have
                                        any genzer and/or slovak records
                                        for ammannsville and/or hostyn????

                                        angelina genzer kretzschmar

                                      • janapivec
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 13, 2007
                                          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, charles kretzschmar
                                          <charleskretzschmar@...> wrote:

                                          > this book you have is great.
                                          > i noticed ammannsville and hostyn
                                          > records in the book. do you have
                                          > any genzer and/or slovak records
                                          > for ammannsville and/or hostyn????
                                          >
                                          > angelina genzer kretzschmar

                                          Hi, Angelina, and to all who have offered their thanks, it is my
                                          pleasure. It is so nice to have these little personal glimpses of
                                          ancestors.

                                          pg. 51: "During the First World War a bronze plaque, value of $150.00
                                          was bought, carrying the names of soldiers of this parish, Alois
                                          Beran; Ondrey (Andrew) Beran; Robert Dobias; Frank Fried; John
                                          Genzer; Alfred Grigar; Frank Hlavinka; Vaclav Hradeckyky; John Janis;
                                          Joseph Jochec; Robert Jochec; John Kcera; Ladislav Mark; Edward
                                          Joseph Mueller; Joseph Petrash; John Polasek; Ignac Pustka; Frank
                                          Sasin; Alfred Staffa; Frank Staffa; Joseph Sulak; Peter Sulak; Frank
                                          Svec; Albert Sykora; John Tomasek; Stephen Valigura; Clement Vecera;
                                          Francis Vitek; Arnost Walzel; Ferdinand Wojtek; Frank Zapalac; with
                                          an inscription. 'They were ready to lay down their lives for their
                                          country, 1917 and 1918.'"

                                          pg. 53(East Bernard entry, pgs 48-57): "The Catholic Societies in the
                                          parish are; St. Vaclav K.J.T. #40 founded June 16, 1905. The charter
                                          members were August Morris; John Vacek; Robert Brandl; Frank Toman;
                                          Frank Polak; John Slovak; John Skalicky; Roman Adamcik. St. Anne's
                                          K.J.Z.T. #30 founded June 11, 1900 with Marie Smajstrla; Otilie
                                          Prazak; Anna Srubar; Anna Toman; Agnes Viktorin; Frances Hlavinka;
                                          Bozena Keprta. This Society gave the sum of $1,000.00 for the new
                                          church and also $1,000 for the new school."

                                          pg. 54(East Bernard entry, pgs 48-57): "Statues donated to the
                                          Church: . . . Pieta – donated by Mrs Katerina Slovak, in memory of
                                          her husband Valentin, blest November 24, 1924"

                                          pg. 61 (El Campo entry): "There are some 3,000 citizens in El Campo
                                          now. The lands around are very fertile. Rice, being the principal
                                          crop. There is a large Rice Dryer – Rice Mill. Mr. F. J. Stoker,
                                          Czech, is for many years keeper here. Anton Peter and Ed Steffek are
                                          employees here. . . . Senator L. J. Sulak moved here the oldest
                                          printshop and a weekly `SVOBODA.' John Pavlik is the editor. William
                                          Slovak, typesetter"

                                          Pg. 68 in Ennis, subhead History of S. Peter & Paul Society #83
[...]

                                          Pg. 68 in Ennis, subhead History of Ss. Cyrill & Methodius
                                          Society: "The Society of Ss. Cyrill & Methodius number 111 of
                                          Katolicky Delnik (The Catholic Workman) was organized the 8th of
                                          September 1908—the following were the original members – Frank
                                          Sobotik, John Krajca, Fr. C. Kallus and Alois Marusak, Sr. There were
                                          15 original members in all. In addition to the above mentioned;
                                          Joseph Krajca, Frank Mach, Joseph J. Vrana, Anton Horak, Alois
                                          Novosad, Joseph L. Mach, John Hubacek, Frank Holub, John K. Mach,
                                          Valentine Horak and Joseph Slovak."