Re: [TexasCzechs] Re: Name spelling conversion help - Shimek

  • Patricia Mercincavage
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2007
      Hello Sam,
      I'm another one of those "crazy genealogists" who sometimes looks up other peoples info!

      A John Shimek, possibly your John Shimek, is listed on a WWI draft registration card with the following info, which is the only part that was readable since the card was so poorly scanned prior to being posted on the site:

      John Shimek born 22 Dec 1884
      address: R.F.D. #1, Box 92, Weimar, Cororado County, Tex
      Occupation - Farmer
      Nearest relative: Mrs. Isabel Shimek
      Eyes: Brown
      Hair: black
      Height: short
      Build: medium
      he registered on Sept 12, 1918.

      Interesting info on these old cards, for sure.  This is from the Ancestry.com site.  Hope this info is helpful to you.

      Pat Mercincavage
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007

         "Patricia Mercincavage" <niptrix@...> wrote:

        >> A John Shimek, possibly your John Shimek, is listed on a WWI draft registration card with the following info, which is the only part that was readable since the card was so poorly scanned prior to being posted on the site:
        >
        > John Shimek born 22 Dec 1884
        > address: R.F.D. #1, Box 92, Weimar, Cororado County, Tex
        > Occupation - Farmer
        > Nearest relative: Mrs. Isabel Shimek
        > Eyes: Brown
        > Hair: black
        > Height: short

        Hah.  "Height: short" -- that's him!  The family lived in Weimar, along with some of the brood who stayed (I remember Uncle Will and Aunt Tillie).  This was after they lived in the tiny community of Shimek, Texas (which was actually big enough to rate a post office, I found out).

        I also found there's a "Shimek cemetary", but it's not in Colorado county.....must be just down the road across the Lavaca county line.

        Thanks again!

        Sam

        .

      • jlpatrick@austin.rr.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
          Sam, I used to live fulltime in DeWitt/Lavaca counties and if you get a phone book for the area, you will find many Shimek (and similar spellings) in the area. There are also Simichek (sic) there too. They are some fine folks.
          Joyce P
          Hah.  "Height: short" -- that's him!  The family lived in Weimar, along with some of the brood who stayed (I remember Uncle Will and Aunt Tillie).  This was after they lived in the tiny community of Shimek, Texas (which was actually big enough to rate a post office, I found out).

          I also found there's a "Shimek cemetary", but it's not in Colorado county.....must be just down the road across the Lavaca county line.

          Thanks again!

          Sam

          .

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • Matt Cross
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007
            Some Shimek obits are posted to the Colorado County GenWeb:

            http://www.rootsweb.com/~txcolora/obits/obitss1.htm#Shimek,%20Joseph%20F

            Matt Cross
            lennonluv@...

            Learn.Laugh.Share. Reallivemoms is right place!
          • Sam and Lily
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 14, 2007

              --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Cross" <lennonluv@...> wrote:

              > Some Shimek obits are posted to the Colorado County GenWeb:
              >
              > http://www.rootsweb.com/~txcolora/obits/obitss1.htm#Shimek,%20Joseph%20F

              Thanks, Matt!

              That page has two in my group, for sure, including the Aunt Tilly (nee Gruenwald) I mentioned.  I had no idea she lived to 99!

              More later,

              Sam

              .