Re: [TexasCzechs] Name spelling conversion help

  • Nangotoo
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 13 12:43 AM
      Sam,

      Just wanted to say welcome to the group.  You have definitely come to the right place.  It was pretty common for some families who came here to fully become Amerianized and not to speak about being Czech--especially if they were running from something that was bad in their native country when they came over.  This, to them, after all, was the land of opportunity.  Its sad, but the same thing happened in my mom's family.

      Others where can help you more than I can. Have you visited Cyndi's List?  They have a lot on foreign names there.

      Again welcome--you are amongst family and friends here who share your heritage.  :-)

      Nan

      Hi;

      I'm a brand new member, trying to track down some ancestry.  Seems my grandpa and his parents wanted to forget EVERYTHNG about the old country after they landed in Texas, because no one passed on much information of note.  Anyway, my americanized name is Shimek, but I suspect the original spelling may have been something like Czmyk or something like this.  Anybody know the Czech spelling of this name?  Also any geneology sources which may track back on un-americanized names?

      Thanks in advance,

      Sam

      .