Re: [TexasCzechs] pictures of coffins

  • Joyce Janicek
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007
      Maybe I missed something in this subject, but I have been to more funerals (or at least Rosaries/wakes) where the casket is open than closed.  I might have just answered my own question:  are you talking about open caskets at the actual funeral service/Mass or at the 'wake'?  I'm Irish (my husband is Czech) and we usually have some really good wakes......green socks, beer, songs, etc.   they usually close the casket before the service starts, but people can go up to the altar before Mass and see the deceased in an open casket.
      On 7/3/07, Pat Lyon <patsroar@...> wrote:

      Lois, my mom feels the same way about both the casket pictures and the genealogy.  I just went to a funeral for my mom's 99+ first cousin (she would have been 100 July 18.)  This is the first funeral I've been to in years where they left the casket open during the service.  Is this an old Czech tradition or just an old tradition?  The funeral was in West.  But I've been to other services there and the casket wasn't left open.

      Pat Lyon

    • paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Lois Petter Pereira
        <epereira@...> wrote:

        Since this the topic of the "hour". I grew-up in Burleson and Lee
        County with the stories of how relatives and friends would sit with
        the dead in the living room all night long. I was told on line that
        this was one way to make sure the deceased was gone. Then I have
        been told this was a way of respect. Also, a lot of times in
        the "old days" someone would die in the morning and be buried by
        sunset. The general store carried coffins. Many families made
        there own. No matter what, there was always a "gathering". This was
        where friends and other relatives came to the house bringing food
        and drinks. My family and others always used the word "gathering"
        say come by never heard the word wake growing-up. This is where many
        of the stories we read about came from these gatherings. Also, many
        a family feuds started. paulasmaggie

        > My mom was born on Live Oak Hill (Ellinger,Tx) and as grandma and
        grandpa were older they would periodically receive pics from Europe.
        These would be their relatives who had died overseas. They would be
        casket shots. I think it helped them to grieve. I don't ever
        remember them pulling them out to look at ever again so maybe they
        were thrown away after awhile. My aunt still takes casket shots. I
        guess it depends on the person. I find the picture is a piece of
        history frozen in time. (My mom thinks they are distasteful but then
        she also thinks all my genealogical work a waste of time, so go
        figure). lois petter pereira

        > Lois Petter Pereira
        > Researching Petter, Vitek, Bartos, Papez, Polasek, Kostelnik,
        Rada, Hlavica, Orsak, Urban, Susil, Manak, Rosenzwieg, Brdusikova,
        Halla, Psencikove, Slovakove, Susila, Susily

      • charles kretzschmar
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 3, 2007
          dear lois---

          some of my relatives think the same way---a waste
          of time and not interested in family history.  when i
          went to attend my czech aunt's funeral, my cousin
          said "we are glad to see you.  the funeral director
          wants to know our grandmother's maiden name and
          we do not know her name".  i gave them her maiden
          name.  they said, "we knew you would know it and
          took off".  it is nice to know we are good for something.

          angelina

          Luggage? GPS? Comic books?