Parish of Assumption of the BVM, Praha, & Rev. Francis C. Zak (Shea)

  • Janecek
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
      In Matt Cross' post noted below:
      "For about a year after this Praha was left without a resident priest and
      was served monthly from Hallettsville by Father Francis C. Zak (Shea) who
      became in 1881 the first resident Czech pastor and served until Oct. 1894."

      On January 17, 1881 Father Francis C. Zak (Shea)officiated at the marriage
      of my grand parents, Henry [Jindrich], Sr. and Mary (Berkenhoff) Janecek at
      Praha, Texas.

      Father Zak (Shea)later was the pastor of St. John's Church in Muscada,
      Wisconsin - a Czech community. He studied at St. Francis Seminary in
      Milwaukee. He died in Wisconsin. I have a brief bio on Fr. Zak in one of my
      clutter boxes. I found the bio in an annivesary of St. John's Church.

      An interesting note on Fr. Francis was that his Czech name was Zak and he
      used the name of Shea. In an early period of US Catholic church the Irish
      American clergy convinced Rome that they were the only ones who could govern
      the US church. Consequently. the Irish American priests, bishops, and
      cardinals were in the major positions and controled the US church. Bishop
      Emmanuel Ledvina, a Czech, was the Bishop of Corpus Christi, Texas
      (1921-1941). He was one of the first Czech bishops in the US. Years ago I
      remember that most of the bishops in the US including Texas were Irish
      descendents as well as the cardinals in the US (Spellman in New York,
      Cushing in Boston, McIntire in Los Angeles, etc.). It appears that Fr. Zak
      changed his name to Shea to blend in with the Irish American clergy.

      In peace,
      Otec Bedrich Janecek

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
        I've read with interest the articles on the Parish of Assumption. I'm attaching an unidentified picture of a priest and two young girls. This picture is in my gr-grandmother Filomena Marek's photo album. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this same picture, and if this priest could possibly be one of the priests mentioned in the articles.

        Pat Marek Hejl

      • Janecek
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2007
          This may be a priest with two altar boys in cassocks. It could also be a first or solemn communion picture.  The hair is too short for girls at that time.   P. Fred
          I've read with interest the articles on the Parish of Assumption. I'm attaching an unidentified picture of a priest and two young girls. This picture is in my gr-grandmother Filomena Marek's photo album. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this same picture, and if this priest could possibly be one of the priests mentioned in the articles.

          Pat Marek Hejl

        • paulasmaggie
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
            --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Janecek" <janecekwi@...> wrote:
            >My Grandmamma had short hair. I have a school picture of her in
            1925.paulasmaggie
            > This may be a priest with two altar boys in cassocks. It could
            also be a
            > first or solemn communion picture. The hair is too short for
            girls at that
            > time. P. Fred

          • Diane Baldwin
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
              I thought they looked like girls with the hair pulled back and braided.

              paulasmaggie <pfosterbmt@...> wrote:
              --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "Janecek" <janecekwi@. ..> wrote:
              >My Grandmamma had short hair. I have a school picture of her in
              1925.paulasmaggie
              > This may be a priest with two altar boys in cassocks. It could
              also be a
              > first or solemn communion picture. The hair is too short for
              girls at that
              > time. P. Fred

            • granny pat
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                I think they are girls with their hair pulled back. I just assumed it was a confirmation picture, but isn't the usual confirmation attire white rather than black? So, maybe it's something else.

                Pat

              • paulasmaggie
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                  --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "granny pat" <phejl@...> wrote:

                  > I think they are girls with their hair pulled back. I just assumed
                  it was a confirmation picture, but isn't the usual confirmation attire
                  white rather than black? So, maybe it's something else.

                  > Pat
                  >Just a few thoughts: maybe they are orphans living there or yet could
                  they be young ladies studying to be nuns or could they be in mourning
                  or yet could it be a school uniform?paulasmaggie
                • Lois Petter Pereira
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 3, 2007
                    I think it is boys. See how the hair is parted on the side. Girls were never allowed past the railing (except at marriage and 1 other time i forget) so they could never be altar servers. This just happened in the past 20 or so years...lois petter pereira

                    granny pat <phejl@...> wrote:
                    I've read with interest the articles on the Parish of Assumption. I'm attaching an unidentified picture of a priest and two young girls. This picture is in my gr-grandmother Filomena Marek's photo album. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this same picture, and if this priest could possibly be one of the priests mentioned in the articles.

                    Pat Marek Hejl

                    Lois Petter Pereira