Obituary Marie Urban Alexander

  • Pat Lyon
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2007
      Waco-Tribune Herald and personal knowledge of Pat Lyon
      July 1, 2007

      Marie Urban Alexander went to her Lord Saturday morning June 30, 2007 in
      Hillsboro. Marie was born July 18, 1907 and the family had planned a 100
      year celebration. Family visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Monday night
      at Aderhold Funeral Home in West, with funeral services to celebrate her
      extraordinary life on Tuesday July 3, at 10:00 am in Aderhold Funeral Home
      Chapel. Burial will be beside Tol at Bold Springs Cemetery.

      Marie was born to John Urban and Mary Slovak Urban in McLennan County near
      West and Abbott and attended school in Tokio. She married Tol Alexander
      April 8, 1929. They settled on a farm not far from her family home and
      lived there all their lives. Two children were born to them, John Tol
      Alexander and Betty Ann Alexander. Mary was an active presence in the lives
      of her siblings and nieces and nephews. Mary had been at Town Hall Estates
      in Hillsboro since last Fall and had maintained hope of going back home.
      Marie was the last surviving member of her siblings, being the oldest of
      those born to her mother, Mary Slovak, John's second wife. She enjoyed
      sharing her memories and family history and actively assisted in gathering
      family information, providing pictures and contacts to assist persons
      assembling the data. The annual Urban family reunion was an event she
      always looked forward to, with family members of all ages flocking to her to
      visit.

      She is survived by her son and daughter-in-law, John and Alice Alexander;
      daughter, Betty Cox; nine grandchildren; ten great-grandchildren, one first
      cousin, Anna Urban Sommerfeld; many nieces, nephews, cousins and friends,
      who were all inspired by her generous spirit. Mary's life was never easy
      but she found enjoyment in simple things. Well into her nineties she was
      making homemade soap, quilting and putting up produce into the freezer.
      Visitors rarely left her home without some gift and never without having
      eaten. She enjoyed animals and even kept a small game chicken as a house
      pet for a number of months in recent years. A childhood memory for those
      visiting the Alexander farm would have been of all sorts of baby animals,
      both domestic and wild, such as o'possums and raccoons, as well as kittens,
      puppies, calves, kids and lambs. Blessed be her memory.
      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      12:19 PM
    • chefanita@classicnet.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2007

        Pat,

        I am so sorry to hear of Marie's passing.  She was an awesome lady and such a joy to talk to about anything, but especially family history.  She certainly welcomed me with open arms the first time I got to go to an Urban reunion.  She will be sorely missed by one and all.  Please extend our condolences to her children and family.

        Cousin Anita in Caldwell