Strouhal Family

  • RICHARD MCCLENDON
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
      I am trying to find information on my g-grandfather Joseph C. Strouhal's daughter Viola (born approx. 9/23/1916) from his 2nd marriage.  After his first wife died in Texas he move to Chicago in approx 1912 and married in 1913 to Johanna (Jennie Dunbek) Kheres.

      According to the 1920 Census Chicago, Cook County, Ill he (age 61) was married to Johanna Kheres(age 38) and had one daughter Viola age 5.  Two step-daughters Johanna Kheres age 15 and Stella Kheres age 13.  Joseph's occupation was listed as salesman for Biscuit Co.  The 1930 census does not show any of the family.

      Children from his first marriage were notified of his death until they received his ashes with a note that he died on 9/23/1941.  No one ever received any other communication and do not know what became of Viola.    I would appreciate any information that might help me locate more information as I have already searched the internet and various websites without any luck.

      Have a nice day,
      Susan

    • paulasmaggie
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 5, 2007
        --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, RICHARD MCCLENDON
        <mcclendons1@...> wrote:

        I have 3 pdf files I would like to sound you direct. I found Viola
        in the passenager list from France. It showed her being born on
        September 23, 1916 on Chicago. There is a Stella and Jeannie on
        here. If you have Ancestory I can tell you where I found it. It
        looks like a court action took place.paulasmaggie

        > I am trying to find information on my g-grandfather Joseph C.
        Strouhal's daughter Viola (born approx. 9/23/1916) from his 2nd
        marriage. After his first wife died in Texas he move to Chicago in
        approx 1912 and married in 1913 to Johanna (Jennie Dunbek) Kheres.

        > According to the 1920 Census Chicago, Cook County, Ill he (age
        61) was married to Johanna Kheres(age 38) and had one daughter Viola
        age 5. Two step-daughters Johanna Kheres age 15 and Stella Kheres
        age 13. Joseph's occupation was listed as salesman for Biscuit Co.
        The 1930 census does not show any of the family.

        > Children from his first marriage were notified of his death
        until they received his ashes with a note that he died on
        9/23/1941. No one ever received any other communication and do not
        know what became of Viola. I would appreciate any information
        that might help me locate more information as I have already
        searched the internet and various websites without any luck.

        > Have a nice day,
        > Susan

      • RICHARD MCCLENDON
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 6, 2007
          Hi Pat,
          Thank you so much for the 1930 census information!!! Thanks to you and Paula I now have more information to go on.  I am so glad that I sent out my research request.

          Have a great day,
          Susan

          Patricia Mercincavage <niptrix@...> wrote:
          Hello Susan,
          I saw your post and it caught my interest because of his job at a Biscuit Company, since my grandfather worked for the National Biscuit Company  in Houston during the 1920s-1930s.  So, I just did a little checking, and I saw that there is a Joseph Strouhal and family shown in the 1930 US Census for Oak Park, in Cook County, Illinois.  This census shows the following individuals living in the household, and a few details on each:

          Joseph, Age 70, born about 1860 in Czechoslovakia, year of immigration appears to be 1877, naturalized, Occupation - Salesman, Real Estate, owns home, not a veteran
          Janny or Jenny, wife, born in Czechoslovakia, age 46, year of immigration appears to be 1907, naturalized
          Viola, daughter, born in Illinois, age 15
          Alfred Reese, son-in-law, Age 38, born in Illinois, Occupation - Investigator, electrical, veteran of World War
          Genevieve Reese, daughter, age 23 or 25, born in Illinois, occupation - attendant, doctor's office

          Best of luck to you in your search efforts. Maybe the above will be useful to you.

          Pat Mercincavage

[...]

              Get your own web address.

            • RICHARD MCCLENDON
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 9, 2007
                Hi Dolores,
                I don't know if they are or not.  Last year, I found a person on the internet that said their name was originally Strouhal and changed to Struhall, however, they didn't seem interested in exchanging information.  Do you know what Alice's father first name was?
                Thanks for your response,
                Susan

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 9, 2007
                  Rick, I don't know the Struhall Daughters name but I know she married I.C. Parma, a prominent bamnker in Grangerr.  The bank on the West sidide  of townm, knowwn as the Czech part of town.   The Struhalls had a son that was a Medical Doctor in Austin.  Don't remember his name. , maybe Robert.  T his was in the l940s,  IDarvin Machu might sed some light on this.  He still lives in Granger.

                  Forgive my typos, I have macular degeneration.  Get shots in my eye every six week.
                  Hope you find what you kneed.   Grandma Struhalll was a honey..  Her house was thee last houste we serenaded at Christmas, she always had good eats s for us and welcomed us in.    I also think she and her husband sponsored my father John Velicka, when he came to the states  in 1913.
                  Spanem Bohem, Dolores

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 13, 2007
                      My Uncle, I. C. Parma, did marry Aunt Augustin but, if memory serves me correct, her maiden name was not changed.

                      They did have a daughter, Alice Joyce, who has since passed away.  She married a doctor from the Austin area and had two children, a boy and a girl.

                      If you need more information about Alice Joyce's family I can get it for you.

                      Gilbert Bohuslav
                      son of Agnes Parma Bohuslav--sister of I. C. Parma

                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 25, 2013

                              Hi Susan, Gilbert and Dolores, here is what I have collected so far:

                              James Vincent Strouhal immigrated to Granger and changed his last name to Struhall. He had a wife (haven't been able to verify if they were married before or after he came from Czechoslovakia.)

                              They had two children:

                              Rosie

                              Annie

                              Wife died. Then the housekeeper, Frances Korenek, married him after his first wife died and they had seven children:

                              Christine [married to Johnnie Janycek]

                              Augustine [married to IC Parma]

                              Lucy [married to Louis Morek]

                              Louis James [married to Jonnie Powell]

                              Bertha

                              Dr. Rudolph Lewis [married to Lillian Parma (different line than IC)]

                              Emil

                              FAMILY PHOTO:

                              Dr. and Lillian had 8 children.

                              Delores

                              RL Jr. (married to Peggy Lindsay) [MY DAD'S PARENTS]

                              Grace

                              James

                              Alfred

                              Frances