Re: [TexasCzechs] FLY SWATTER

  • Tony Janak
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
      Thank Julie
       what "law-pot-coo" sound like, don't know if it spelled exactly

      Tony

      Julie Matus <juwemat@...> wrote:
      pleskachka?
      I don't know how it's spelled exactly, but I remember us calling it something like that when at home.
      Maybe?

      Julie Matus

      Julie & Wes Matus

      Researching:
      Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
      Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
        Yep, that is the right one - placacka na mouchy.

        Martina

        > Od: Julie Matus <juwemat@...>
        > Předmět: Re: [TexasCzechs] FLY SWATTER
        > Datum: 03.6.2007 19:08:39
        > http://www.slovnik.cz/
        >
        > flyswatter - plácacka na mouchy
        >
        > Hi Tony -
        > I checked the web and on the above site you can type in the English word and it
        > gives you the translation in Czech.
        >
        > Julie & Wes Matus
        >
        > Researching:
        > Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
        > Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

      • Martina Morrisová
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
          Do you mean "lopatka" - little shovel?

          Martina

          > Od: Tony Janak <tonyjanak@...>
          > Předmět: Re: [TexasCzechs] FLY SWATTER
          > Datum: 03.6.2007 19:25:05
          > Thank Julie
          > what "law-pot-coo" sound like, don't know if it spelled exactly
          >
          > Tony
          >

          > Julie Matus <juwemat@...> wrote:
          > pleskachka?
          > I don't know how it's spelled exactly, but I remember us calling it something
          > like that when at home.
          > Maybe?
          >
          > Julie Matus
          >
          > Julie & Wes Matus
          >
          > Researching:
          > Herzik, Korenek, Toman, Dybala
          > Matus, Kubala, Grossman, Krenek

        • Tony Janak
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
            Yes now i remenber is a shover
            and pleskachka is a fly swatter
            thank to all texas czech group  that help me out on this
            i understand czech and make it out, but can't talk it,
            i was born in Yoakum Tex.  and went St Joe School and the
            Nun did't know czech to help, i was in frist grade for
            two year

            Martina Morrisová <morrisova@...> wrote:
            Do you mean "lopatka" - little shovel?

            Martina

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:TexasCzechs-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:TexasCzechs-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Nangotoo
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
              Okay, how is it pronounced?  Anyone who gives words for things, could you give the broken down pronouncation so we who grow up around the Czech language can know how to say it, too?  Thanks, it would help.  I would love to share this with my mom who heard mainly German, but not Czech in her grandparent's house (even though they were Moravian, my g-grandmother was raised by a German step-father and they spoke German rather than Moravian. My g-grandfather was Moravian and spoke English, Moravian-CZ and German. The kids in my mom's generation were taught English only.

              Nan

              flyswatter - plácačka na mouchy

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
                It is pronounced plah tsa chka. Best way I know how to put it in English.

                I asked my mother (who is 87) what they used for the word "flyswatter" when she was growing up. She did not have a czech word for flyswatter. They spoke nothing but Czech at home & still does speak it.

                Allen Livanec

                See what's free at AOL.com.