svoboda newspaper

  • tjslansky@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007

      Rosemary,

      The La Grange Public Library has the early Svoboda newspaper on film.  The Svoboda was no longer published after about 1920.  Later in ‘41, it was published in El Campo as the Svoboda until the late ‘60’s, but there are no copies or film available.

      In my senior year of high school I went to work for the El Campo Leader, which was the publisher of the Svoboda Czech newspaper, inserting the sections together.

      Later, the Svoboda became a section part of the El Campo Leader-News.

      I had just come out of a SENIOR Memory lapse. HA .  When, I visited newspaper office in the late ‘60s with my two small sons, the Linotype operator made them a lead name slug. I remember, the Operator at the time was retyping a story in Czech from an “Old copy of Svoboda”.

      In the late ’80’s, a cousin who was doing family research had visited the newspaper office and they did not have any of the “old copies of Svoboda”.  They did not know what became of them. There are films of the El Campo Leader-News at the El Campo Library. I do not know what time period will have these Svoboda articles.

      Rosemary, you know the cousin whom I am speaking of, since you are I have the same early family relation.

      The Svoboda newspaper on film is also available at San Antonio Public Library in the Texan Genealogy area.

      The La Grange Library has much Fayette County information available and what is not there you can find at the County Clerk office located across the street on north side.

      The District Clerk is located in the Court House.

      At all three locations the people were very friendly and helpful.

      TJ Slansky

      On Behalf Of Rosemary Ermis
      Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2007 11:31 PM
      To: TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TexasCzechs] Czech name for Martin

      TJ,

      Where did you find the Svoboda printed in 1900 ???

      Rosemary Ermis

    • Rosemary Ermis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
        TJ,

        Thank you so much for all that wonderful, useful information.  I printed it out to keep it's so good.

        I remember spending nights with my grandmother and her reading the Svobada and the latest chapter of the Czech story.  She did enjoy them.

        I appreciate your reply.

        Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2007 11:31 PM
        To: TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com

        TJ,

        Where did you find the Svoboda printed in 1900 ???

        Rosemary Ermis

      • Martina Morrisová
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
          The spelling is the same in Czech and in English - Martin

          Martina Morris

          > Od: <livanec@...>
          > Předmět: [TexasCzechs] Czech name for Martin
          > Datum: 03.6.2007 05:37:55
          > Is there a Czech spelling for Martin? I was looking at the US census records
          > and came upon a person I think I am related to. The writing was bad and I
          > could not read the name it looks like Martin or Martis????
          >

          > ************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com

        • charles kretzschmar
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2007
            dear tj---
            the la grange public library does not have the
            1965 or 1990 copy of the Ammannsville, Fayette
            County, Texas Catholic church book.  Ammannsville
            is right down the road from LaGrange.  You would
            think by 2007 they would have one copy.  i still have
            not found a copy of the 1965 book.  angelina

            Bored stiff? Loosen up...
          • Nangotoo
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
              Martina,

              How is Martin in pronounced CZ? Could you sound out how it would sound in
              English and tell me? I had an g-g-uncle Martin RECEKwho stayed in Frenstat,
              Moravia when some of his siblings came to TX. He was the oldest boy, was
              married, and probably stayed with his family to care for their homes and his
              parents. I wish I knew more about him and his family and about their lives.
              Ever since I saw his name, I've wondered how his first name was pronounced.
              Thanks, Martina.

              Is your name pronounced Mar-T-na in CZ as it is in the U.S.?

              Nan

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2007
                Well, I do not know how to write down the pronunciation - how to sound it out. It is very similar to English pronunciation, only the "t" is soft and I do not think you have that sound in English, so I do not know how to describe it....

                Martina