Re: [TexasCzechs] FW: Marek, Cinek

  • Nangotoo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2007
      Have you tried looking at the different CZ sites here online?  I know that I've see Philomena MAREK's name in my research. Did they live in the Wharton area?  Have you tried googling their names online? Sometimes that will bring you to research about them?  I am related to some MAREK's through my MONDRIK/MONDRICK line.  They were the ones I mentioned in the Wharton Co, TX area.  There is a immigration list here online with a link to this list where many of the TX-Czech immigrants are listed with the name of their village in the CZ.  I don't have the URL of the website, but its easily found by googling "Czech Immigration" or something like that..

      Please bear with me while I try to tell this story...I am hoping it might touch someone's memory.
      My Great-Grandfather was Frantisek (Frank) Marek.
      Born: 14 Feb 1855 Czechoslovakia
      Died: 23 Jan 1918 West, McLennan, Texas
      Frank Marek had two wives. The first one was killed by a neighbor when she heard a calf crying and went to give it water. The neighbor thought she was trying to steal it and shot her. Her name (I think) is Theresa (Terezie) Maresh. All I know about her is that she is buried in the Catholic Cemetery in West, TX. Her grave is not marked because of the way she died (I know...makes no sense). She had several children with Frank Marek. They are:
      Theresa Marek Hynek (1891-1985)
      Annie Marek Pavlicek (1887-1975)
      Joe R. Marek (1888-1967)
      Philomena (Filomena) Cinek, Sinek, Cenek, Cink, Cynek was his second wife and my Great Grandmother. She came over from Czech possibly with her brother (Frank?). She got off the train at West, TX and went to the Catholic Church and asked a priest who in the area might need help. He told her Frank Marek needed help with the small children. They fell in love and were married. They had several children:
      John (Adolph) Marek (1894-1972)
      Frances (Fannie) Marek Ruzicka (1898-1972) My Grandmother
      Philomena Marek (1898?- 1988)
      I cannot find anything anywhere about where in Czech Frank Marek or Philomena Cinek came from. Can anyone help me?
      Thank you!
      Doris Beseda

      Hotmail to go? Get your Hotmail, news, sports and much more! Check out the New MSN Mobile

      Make every IM count. Download Windows Live Messenger and join the i’m Initiative now. It’s free.  Make it count!