Re: [TexasCzechs] 1922 Dime Picture

  • John L. Mikeska
    Message 1 of 24 , May 8, 2007
      Click a photo to view a larger version on Yahoo! Photos. See links above for more options.
      Elaine,

      Valigua is no relationship to me, but you have already received a reply from Paula, who is researching that name with the 'wonderful bread and butter maker' Pat Lyon. <G>

      Attaching the interior photo of the Balcar Saloon, and have reduced the dpi for quick transfer over the Internet and for member to easily/quickly open the photo.  You may need to use your program to increase the size of photo to read the type on bottom - which lists names from L to R as : Frank Balcar, Joe Jurica, Vince Balcar (Franks father) and Joe Jurica.  Note the spittoons, whiskey jug on top of bar, whiskey bottles in front of mirror, and evidently a water container.  Each person appears to acting if they are doing something.

      Also attaching photo of the building while being built.  Appears road not even completed.  The saloon is located on the left side and a department store was on right side, with living quarters above the department store, per Lydia Balcar Wolf's comments to me.  Someone mentioned Lydia in the past few days - Lydia's father is the Frank Balcar in saloon photo.  Lydia said her mother went to the saloon to see her husband and went into labor while in the saloon.  She was moved/carried? to the upstairs living area where Lydia was born.  Lydia said she always said she was born in a saloon. <G>

      Gotta give credit to Mike Blaha for sending me these photos via Internet.  They wee from Mike's uncles book, which most of us are familiar with the numerous Blaha books.  Mike went out of his way to get them - making a trip to Dime Box to obtain the photos from uncles book used by printer, and then return them on his next trip to Dime Box, think it is.  He certainly went out of his way to do this for several of us.

      If anyone wants these photos in high dpi for printing 8 X 10 photos, let me know and I'll send pics via net to your personal e-mail address.

      Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
      The larger versions of these photos will be available until August 06, 2007 (90 days)
      Share your pictures with PhotoMail from Yahoo! Mail. Learn More Go to Yahoo! Photos
    • Jim & Elaine Hicks
      Message 2 of 24 , May 8, 2007
        Yes, I would like to have the information about the Valigura family.  Do you know how and why they got from Dime Box to Wharton County?  Please send to my e-mail address:  elainehicks@....

        Thanks!

        Message 3 of 24 , May 9, 2007
          Dear Sir John,

          Thanks for the post of the pictures.  Very interesting!  Must have been a lot of people needing those spittoons cause they are so closely placed.  Please send high dpi photos to me at elainehicks@... for my collection.  I have a high speed connection and should be able to handle the large files.

          How are you related, if you are, to the Mikeska family with the barbecue business in El Campo?

          Elaine Naiser Hicks

          Message 4 of 24 , May 10, 2007
            Elaine,

            Kinship to the BBQ Mikeskas are 4th cousins.  They are from a son of family about 4 generations back and my Mikeskas are from another son of that family.  From my weight, you'd think I went around and checked the quality of the BBQ each day.  <G>.

            Photo on way to you email address.

            Sir John

            Message 5 of 24 , May 10, 2007
              Sir John,

              Thanks for sending pictures to my e-mail address.  Received with no problem.  I enjoyed zooming in to look at the detail.

              Let's see I believe nails and whiskey came in barrels.  There seem to be a lot of barrels scattered about.

              Is the building still there?

              Elaine Naiser Hicks

              Kinship to the BBQ Mikeskas are 4th cousins.  They are from a son of family about 4 generations back and my Mikeskas are from another son of that family.  From my weight, you'd think I went around and checked the quality of the BBQ each day.  <G>.

              Photo on way to you email address.

              Sir John

              Jim & Elaine Hicks <elainehicks@ sbcglobal. net> wrote:

              Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

            • John L. Mikeska

                Message 7 of 24 , May 10, 2007
                  Elaine,
                  Can you get a copy of History of Lee County Volume I.  It has the story of the Valigura Family in it.  If not I will copy and pdf file to you.  paulasmaggie
                  Mam, Jan Valigura was my grgr uncle. If you would like I would be
                  glade to send a descendent list of the Valigura Family. My cousin
                  Pat Lyons and myself have done a lot of research on this side of our
                  family. paulasmaggie

                  > Sir John,
                  >
                  > This sounds like a picture that I would like to see, the Balcar
                  Saloon in Dime Box, Texas that is. Could you post it to the
                  bulletin board. I went to high school with a Balcar. My aunt was
                  Annie B. Valigura. She married my uncle, J. P. Naiser. Her parents
                  were John (Jan) Valigura and Annie Sitka.

                  > My aunt, Annie B. Valigura was born on July 24, 1891 in Dime Box,
                  Texas. She married my Uncle J. P. Naiser around 1910. I know that
                  this Valigura family lived in Taiton near El Campo around 1900. I
                  know that my Aunt Annie had at least one sister, Francis.

                  > If anyone has anymore information about this family, I'd like to
                  hear from you. Will post pictures.

                  > Elaine Naiser Hicks

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                • Jim & Elaine Hicks
                  Message 8 of 24 , May 10, 2007
                    A pdf file would be great if it's not too much trouble.  Don't know where I would get or see a copy of History of Lee County Volume I.

                    Elaine Hicks

                    Can you get a copy of History of Lee County Volume I.  It has the story of the Valigura Family in it.  If not I will copy and pdf file to you.  paulasmaggie
                    Mam, Jan Valigura was my grgr uncle. If you would like I would be
                    glade to send a descendent list of the Valigura Family. My cousin
                    Pat Lyons and myself have done a lot of research on this side of our
                    family. paulasmaggie

                    > Sir John,
                    >
                    > This sounds like a picture that I would like to see, the Balcar
                    Saloon in Dime Box, Texas that is. Could you post it to the
                    bulletin board. I went to high school with a Balcar. My aunt was
                    Annie B. Valigura. She married my uncle, J. P. Naiser. Her parents
                    were John (Jan) Valigura and Annie Sitka.

                    > My aunt, Annie B. Valigura was born on July 24, 1891 in Dime Box,
                    Texas. She married my Uncle J. P. Naiser around 1910. I know that
                    this Valigura family lived in Taiton near El Campo around 1900. I
                    know that my Aunt Annie had at least one sister, Francis.

                    > If anyone has anymore information about this family, I'd like to
                    hear from you. Will post pictures.

                    > Elaine Naiser Hicks

                  • Pat Lyon
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 10, 2007
                      You can order the history volumes from Lee County Historical Society on the Lee County web site.  There is a wealth of information, not limited to one area or article, with a lot of background and contemporaneous history for the Valigura and other families.

                      Pat Lyon
                    • pfoster
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 10, 2007
                        I will copy and send it this weekend.  Elaine, you did receive your Valigura Descendant List?  paulasmaggie

                        Message 11 of 24 , May 10, 2007
                          Elaine,
                          I donot know, but the I am having to resend messages.  My computer keeps sending me Mail Failure.
                          I will send the pdf file this weekend.  You did receive your Valigura Descendant List?  paulasmaggie

                          Message 12 of 24 , May 10, 2007
                            No, I did not receive a copy of the Valigura Descendant List.  How was it sent - by e-mail?  Sir John's picture had a Joe Valigura in the saloon.  How is Joe kin to Jan Valigura and my Aunt Annie B. Valigura Naiser?

                            Elaine Naiser Hicks

                            Message 13 of 24 , May 10, 2007
                              Let me try sending the list again.  This will answer all your questions to a point.  After studying it, please email any questions you have.  Pat and I will try to answer them.
                              paulasmaggie.

                              Message 14 of 24 , May 10, 2007
                                Appreciate your changing the subject before I get blamed for that, too.  <G>

                                I had return of message sent to Elaine after the photos, and was returned.  Appeared went to the Cox group, which was not part of address I used.

                                Sir John

                                pfoster <pfosterbmt@...> wrote:

                                Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
                              • pfoster
                                Message 15 of 24 , May 10, 2007
                                  Sir John, You are very welcomed.  I thought I was losing it there for awhile or either this gas I had this morning along with an advil was effecting my mind.  Dentist said there would be no residual effects.  I was beginning to wonder.  paulasmaggie
                                  Appreciate your changing the subject before I get blamed for that, too.  <G>

                                  I had return of message sent to Elaine after the photos, and was returned.  Appeared went to the Cox group, which was not part of address I used.

                                  Sir John

                                  pfoster <pfosterbmt@sbcgloba l.net> wrote:

                                  Sir John, Earl of Berkshire

                                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                • Kathy Smith
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 11, 2007

                                    I will make several postings with pictures of the Dime Box Church . I’ve edited some so that we could clearly see the people in the photo. My grandfather, Rev. Frank Horak Sr., is the man with the overalls with the tie and blonde hair.

                                    Kathy Horak Smith

                                  • Kathy Smith
                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 11, 2007

                                      These are what I’m guessing are the members of the church in Dime Box. I hope some of you can identify some of the people in the photo.

                                      Kathy Horak Smith

                                    • Kathy Smith
                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 11, 2007

                                        This is the full picture of the church with the people. It is from this picture that I cropped the others – or someone did. I know when I posted it earlier, many of us played with the photo.

                                        Kathy Horak Smith

                                      • paulasmaggie
                                        Message 19 of 24 , May 11, 2007
                                          --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy Smith" <horaksmith@...>
                                          wrote:
                                          Kathy,
                                          Thank-you very much. Now I have another picture for my wall. I have
                                          read in previous email I believe in 2000 that the Man holding the
                                          hammer is my grgr Uncle Jan Valigura. I hope someone can identify
                                          some of the other people there. paulasmaggie