Re: [TexasCzechs] Rev. Josef Barton

  • Sara Ann Barton
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2007

      If it helps I have that Rev. Joseph Barton (b. 9/26/1886, d. 8/26/1945) married Albina Mikulencak

      Sara Barton

      -- Richard A Smith <rasjas@...> wrote:

      Hi Frances,

      Are you a descendant of the Rev. Josef Barton?  Do you have any Mikulencaks or Simciks in you family tree?  The reason I am asking is that I am a member of the Simcik family and I have been told that someone in our family is related to or married Rev. Josef Barton.  I would like to find out more about this connection.  If you have any information that would help me will you please e-mail me?

      Thank you, Judy Simcik Smith

      Frances Barton <fbarton@drleverich. com> wrote:
      Clinton Machann and James W. Mendl's "Krasna Amerika: A study of the Texas Czechs, 1851-1939" (published by Eakin Press in Austin) has an appendix that lists Texas Czech periodicals and newspapers. Following are the ones from the counties you mentioned (minus the diacritical marks):

      Bratrske listy. Austin, Brenham, La Grange and Hallettsville, Texas (Evangelical Unity of Czech-Moravian Brethren in North America), monthly Jan. 1902-present. Now called Brethren Journal.

      Cechoslovak. Rosenberg. Texas weekly 1918-1920.

      Husita. Rosenberg. Texas semi-monthly 1918?-1952?

      Kalendar Sloven. La Grange. One volume published 1894.

      Kalendar Svoboda. La Grange. Texas annual 1908-1910?

      Katolicky Sokol. St. Louis and Halletsville. Texas monthly and bimonthly (Katolicka jednota Sokol) 1912-1940?

      Listy Poucne e vzdelavajici. Nelsonville, 1897.

      Novy domov. Hallettsville. Texas weekly and semi-weekly (Czech Catholic Women's Union of Texas) 1895-196-?

      Obzor; tydennik politicky, hospodarsky a zabavny. Hallettsville and La Grange. Texas weekly and biweekly (Slovanska podpurna jednota). July 16, 1891-Aug. 1912. Suspended Feb. 14, 1895-Nov. 1897. Dec. 13, 1897-Sept. 1899 called Obzor hospodarsky.

      Pokrok jihu. Fayetteville. Texas weekly 1932.

      Posel svetla. Rosenbert. Monthly 1925. Absorbed by Zenske listy (Chicago).

      Sealske Noviny. Sealy. 19--?

      Slovan. La Grange and Bryan. Texas weekly Sept. 7, 1879-May 1890. Succeeded Texan.

      Svoboda. La Grange and El Campo. Texas weekly and semi-weekly Dec. 1885-1966.

      Texan. La Grange. Texas weekly Feb. 6-July 1879.

      Vestnik. Fayetteville, Temple and West. Texas weekly (Slavonic Benevolent Order of Texas) Sept. 1, 1912-present.

      Vudce osadni. Rosenberg. Texas monthly (Church of Mary of the Rosary) 1931-?

      There were also three Texas Slovak publications that came out of Rosenberg between 1890 and 1897. The Machann/Mendl book is a great source and a fascinating read. Amazon.com says it's no longer available and I don't find it for sale on the Eakiin Press website either. I'm not sure it's available anymore. Many libraries have it, of course. It's really an excellent book.

      Frances Barton

      capmoment wrote:
      On other message in this TexasCzechs group I find that the Novy Domov was printed in
      Hallettsville. I remember my grandparents receiving it.

      --- In TexasCzechs@ yahoogroups. com, "Pat Lyon" <patsroar@.. .> wrote:

      > Can someone tell me where the Czech language newspaper Novy Domov was
      > printed? Also, where there any other Czech language newspapers in late
      > 1880's in Burleson-Fayette- Austin-Lee- Washington- Waller-Fort Bend counties
      > and area?
      > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > AM

    • natcat77054
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4 5:47 PM
        I use Worldcat to locate old newspapers. When I put the subject
        Czechs Texas Newspapers, Worldcat brought up the following newspapers
        listed below. However in the libraries Worldwide list where the
        newspapers are located, these are usually larger city libraries,
        college libraries and state libraries, smaller libraries are not
        listed. For example for the Svoboda, the Library in LaGrange is not
        listed. However, I use the information of the cities of where the
        newspapers are published and call those cities library to see if they
        have copies of that newspaper, some do, some don't. Another thing, a
        lot of newspapers are listed at the Panhandle Plains Museum in Canyon,
        Texas. They were not there. Years ago they had those newspapers, but
        they only kept mainly Panhandle area newspapers and sent the others
        back to their local area. However, if you see that a newspaper is at
        the Panhandle Plains Museum, click on that link and usually it will
        say where that newspaper is. I drove up to Canyon and found out none
        of the newspapers I was looking for were not up there anymore. At
        least it was a very nice museum with several interesting exhibits. So
        before you take off on a trip, try to contact the library to see if
        they actually have the newspaper you are looking for. A lot of the
        newspapers are at the University of Texas Center of American History.
        You can access the Worldcat database usually through your public
        library's website if you have a library card. Also there is a beta
        site called www.worldcat.org. One feature on the beta site is you can
        put in your zip code and it will give you the milage to each library.
        Hope this helps.
        Natalie

        1. Serial Publication Texan.
        Publication: Galveston, Tex. : Bohemian Pub. Co., 1908-1900s
        Document: Czech : Serial Publication : Newspaper : Weekly
        Libraries Worldwide: 10

        2. Serial Publication Svoboda.
        Author: Haidusek, A. Publication: La Grange, Tex. : [s.n.], 1885-1957
        Document: Czech : Serial Publication : Newspaper : Weekly
        Libraries Worldwide: 10

        3. Serial Publication Obzor.
        Author: Fabián, F. G. Publication: Hallettsville, Tex. : F.G. Fabián
        1891-1914
        Document: Czech : Serial Publication : Newspaper : Weekly
        Libraries Worldwide: 8

        4. Serial Publication Nasinec.
        Publication: Granger, Tex. : Nasinec Pub. Co., 1914-
        Document: Czech : Serial Publication : Newspaper : Weekly
        Libraries Worldwide: 7

        5. Serial Publication Nový domov.
        Publication: Hallettsville, Tex. : J. Kopecky 1895-1900s
        Document: Czech : Serial Publication : Newspaper : Semiweekly (twice a
        week)
        Libraries Worldwide: 6

        6. Serial Publication Cechoslovák and Westske noviny.
        Publication: West, Tex. : Cechoslovák Pub. Co. 1920-1961
        Document: Czech : Serial Publication : Newspaper : Weekly
        Libraries Worldwide: 5 In your library HOUSTON PUB LIBR

        7. Serial Publication Vestník.
        Publication: Halletsville, Tex. : F. Fabian, 1912-
        Document: Czech : Serial Publication : Newspaper : Weekly
        Libraries Worldwide: 5

        8. Serial Publication Cechoslovák.
        Publication: Rosenberg, Tex. : Vydavatelská, Spolecnost Cechoslovák
        =Cechoslovák Pub. Co. 1917-1919
        Document: Czech : Serial Publication : Newspaper : Weekly
        Libraries Worldwide: 5 In your library HOUSTON PUB LIBR

        9. Serial Publication Slovan.
        Publication: La Grange, Tex. : Fr. Lidiák. 1879-?
        Document: Czech : Serial Publication : Newspaper : Weekly
        Libraries Worldwide: 3

        10. Serial Publication Cechoslovák and Westske noviny
        Publication: West, Tex. : Cechoslovák Pub. Co., 1920-1961
        Document: Czech : Serial Publication : Newspaper : Weekly : Microform
        Microform
        Libraries Worldwide: 2