Publishing a book on family

  • Gerri Martisek
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
      Does anyone have any good ideas on how to publish a family book?

      Naturally, it has to be wonderful and inexpensive.

      Just kidding.

      I am particularly interested in the formatting to use to get all the
      people in.

      Thanks,
      Gerri
    • John L. Mikeska
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
        Gerri,

        While a member of the Austin, TX computer club  12 - 15 yrs ago, and attending the genealogy SIG (Special Interest Group) monthly, a gentleman held an hours class for members interested in printing books of their family history.  He has several books printed himself.  I recall his suggestions were to search and find printing company to use, then get their suggestions of using best type, spacing, line length, suggestions on Index, photos (recall best to use black and white high resolution photos.  Using photos you scan to pages come out extremely poor when printed).

        Printing cost varies with the size of book, naturally number of pages, more photos cost escalates.  Getting a hard bound leather covered book with gold trim, etc. is expensive.  "Book Shock", he called it.  <G>  And he suggested cost be revealed to perspective buyers, and suggested money be collected then.  Not unusual for people to decide not to buy the book later and you will be held responsible by contract with the printer for number of books requested to be printed.  Me, I've never had a book printed.  <G> But, good luck to you.

        Sir John

        Gerri Martisek <gerri@...> wrote:
        Does anyone have any good ideas on how to publish a family book?

        Naturally, it has to be wonderful and inexpensive.

        Just kidding.

        I am particularly interested in the formatting to use to get all the
        people in.

        Thanks,
        Gerri

        Sir John, Earl of Berkshire
      • Nangotoo

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
            It also depends on your idea of "publishing".  Do you want to publish a book ON the family (for public consumption) or (just) FOR the family?  Do you want it to be a BOOK or a "book"?  I can send you some photos of the book I made for my family if it gives you any ideas.

            I created my book using photos, illustrations, maps and diagrams to accompany historical references/explanations of the period that were directly relevant to family experiences, and added specific family information within that.  I was/am also cost concerned and in my case, I had it bound at Office Depot's print shop, with vinyl back cover and clear front cover (to show my pictured title page). That was just my budgeted approach.  I am very proud of it, and they love it.  :-)

            Richard Martin
          • Gerri Martisek
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2007
              Sounds like what I am looking for. It would definitely be for "family".
              I was also thinking something along the line of vinyl cover (or
              paper) with a binding of some type.