Re: [TexasCzechs] Easter Bread Recipe

  • livanec@aol.com
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 28, 2007
      I found the Star Anise. They look like stars. Do you grind the whole thing or just the seeds?

      See what's free at AOL.com.
    • livanec@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 28, 2007

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 28, 2007

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 28, 2007

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 28, 2007

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 28, 2007

                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 28, 2007

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 28, 2007
                    I found the Star Anise. They look like stars. Do you grind the whole thing or just the seeds?

                    See what's free at AOL.com.
                  • Richard A Garza
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 29, 2007
                      Grind the entire pod.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 29, 2007
                        Thanks RichardGarza1 for the help with my recipe questions. Now I can begin making the Easter Bread.

                        See what's free at AOL.com.
                      • Rejsky@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                          Rick, thank you for bringing the Easter Bread to the Czech Spring Fest in Houston - it was so delicious and everybody raved over it.It was so nice of you to share it with all of us.
                          Thanks again!
                          Susie

                          See what's free at AOL.com.
                        • Suzanne Fiala
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                            Hi Rick,
                            Would you share the recipe for the Easter bread?

                            Thanks,

                            Suzanne Fiala

                          • livanec@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                              I would like your Easter Bread recipe also. I just made my first Easter Bread today. I never ate Easter Bread before and did not know what to expect.Tastes good. I would like to see your ingredients.

                              See what's free at AOL.com.
                            • Richard A Garza
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                                Mazanec - PragueRadio
                                Czech Easter Velikonocni Mazanec / Bochanek (Easter Bread)

                                Easter just isn't Easter without a Velikonocni Mazanec (Czech Easter Bread), which is the Easter equivalent to the Christmas' Vanocka. It's made from the same dough, but it has the shape of a bun, on the top of which a cross is carved before baking.

                                Dough for two mazanec loaves
                                6 cups of all-purpose flour
                                1/2 cup of sugar
                                4 ounces of butter (1 stick)
                                2 tablespoons of yeast (2 pkts)
                                1 cup of lukewarm milk
                                1 egg + 1 yolk
                                a pinch of salt
                                1 tsp vanilla
                                grated rind of 1 lemon
                                1/4 tsp. grated nutmeg
                                1/2 tsp grated star anise or regular anise
                                1/2 cup of raisins, soaked in warm water for about 10 minutes
                                1/2 cup of slivered or chopped almonds
                                3 tbsp. sliced almonds
                                1 beaten egg white for the icing
                                3 tablespoons sliced almonds
                                Stir the yeast into the lukewarm milk, add in 1 tablespoon of sugar, and then leave it in a warm place to rise (about 5-10mins).

                                Put the flour, 8 tablespoons of sugar, the vanilla, a pinch of salt, the lemon rind, the grated nutmeg, one whole egg and one egg yolk, and the grated star anise into a bowl with the previous mixture when well-risen and mix well. After this, add in the softened butter and continue to mix well. When the dough no longer sticks to the side of the bowl, knead in the washed raisins and the cleaned, sliced almonds.

                                Shape the dough into a ball, and place in a greased bowl. Cover bowl with oiled plastic wrap and leave it in a warm place to rise until doubled.

                                Divide the risen dough and form two small loaves. Place these loaves on two different pieces of greased paper, so each may be rotated during baking as necessary.

                                Preheat oven to 400°F.

                                Leave the loaves on the baking sheet to finish rising (about 30mins).
                                Then, before putting them in the oven, baste them with the whipped egg white, sprinkle them with the sliced almonds, and carve a cross on the top of each with a sharp knife.
                                Put in oven and reduce heat to 350°F and bake for about 35 to 45 minutes.

                                Remove from oven and let cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (if desired).
                                Serve with butter or sweetened cream cheese.
                              • Richard A Garza
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 3, 2007
                                  Hi Allen,
                                  I just posted it in reply to Suzanne's request. Would love to see
                                  your version.
                                  Rick Garza

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 4, 2007
                                    Thanks for sharing the recipe. Seems like when someone mentions food
                                    in this group we all jump on it! But you know, some of these recipes
                                    that have been passed down are still the best. I started making
                                    homemade bread for us from the 'Cherished Czech Recipes' flip book,
                                    and that bread is delicious. Bought bread can't match it!
                                    Happy Easter to All!

                                    Suzanne Fiala

                                    --- In TexasCzechs@yahoogroups.com, Richard A Garza
                                    <richardgarza1@...> wrote:

                                    > Hello Suzanne,
                                    > You're welcome. I used the attached, modified version of a
                                    Radio
                                    > Prague recipe this Sunday to take to the Czech SpringFest. Tip1:
                                    toast
                                    > the slivered or chopped almonds till they just begin to color for
                                    better
                                    > flavor. Tip2: increase sugar to 3/4cup for American tastes. Tip3:
                                    If made

                                  • livanec@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 5, 2007
                                      Hello Rick. The following is the recipe I got from a Czech cookbook by Dr. Klima & his wife:

                                      4 - Cups flour
                                      3/4 Cup sugar
                                      1 - Stick butter
                                      2 - Egg yolks
                                      1 - Whole egg
                                      1 - Cup milk
                                      Dash of salt, vanilla & lemon rind
                                      1/2 tsp. Ground Star Anise
                                      2 Tblsp. Dry yeast
                                      1 - Cup raisins
                                      1 - Cup slivered almonds

                                      Make a proof of yeast a little sugar & milk.
                                      Beat remaining sugar with butter & egg yolks until foamy.
                                      Add to the proof in a large bowl the whole egg, flour & seasonings.
                                      Mix till dough is smooth & soft.
                                      Correct dough consistency with flour or milk.
                                      Work in almonds & raisins into the dough.
                                      Let rise until about double size.
                                      Divide dough into 2 equal  dough balls.
                                      Place on a greased cookie sheet.
                                      Flatten each dough ball.
                                      Baste with an egg wash.
                                      Make "cross" incision 1" wide on top of dough.
                                      Let rise again. ~ 1 hr.
                                      Place in 350F oven for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.
                                      When done (while hot) sprinkle with powered sugar.
                                      Let cool, then enjoy.

                                      Allen Livanec

                                      See what's free at AOL.com.
                                    • Richard A Garza
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 5, 2007
                                        HI Allen,
                                        Thanks. Recipe sounds tasty. And, yes, Marcella is a good cook.
                                        Rick Garza