Photos

  • Steve Alvarez
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 9, 2001
      Susan

      It is a good idea to have a portrait done.  Last summer, we gathered the Clan of 22 people, 3 generations, coming as far away as California and had a family portrait done.

      We realized after getting a copy of the complete family of one of my immigrants family how much we treasured that picture.  And how we needed to have a family portrait of ourselves for future generations.  The expense and organizing of  22 people was a nightmare, but everyone was glad we did it.

      God Bless
      Steve Alvarez

      Alvarez@...
      Zaruba, Lastovica, Pavlicek

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 9, 2001
        Steve,

        I agree that family portraits are very important.  I find myself in an odd position though...given that I spend so much of my time restoring old family photos and place so much value on them.

        I have two sisters and one sister-in-law who insist on taking group photos whenever we get together...Christmas, funerals, etc.  (There were 18 people present Christmas eve.)  Usually there three camera with three separate timers.  I have gotten where I dread any gathering because we are going to spend what seems like hours gathering people, posing, setting up lights, etc.  I wish we would only do it every other year or in a less intense manner.

        In the end I suppose moderation is the key as usual.

        Susan Rektorik Henley

      • SUGAREK%BILBO@uthscsa.edu
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2001
          Having had a good experience with family photos, I'd just like to share some
          suggestions. First the most obvious/basic: While my grandmother was alive she
          insisted that we sit down with the family photos from her family. She told me
          who each person was and had me to write their names on the back of each one
          that was not labled. Wish we had done that during my grandfather's life as
          there is one interesting photo where we can figure out who the people were, but
          couldn't figure out why these young men had a formal portrait taken in their
          work clothes.
          The second suggestion is to copy photos. When that same grandmother died, I
          took all of the family pictures to a photographer and had negatives made. We
          then circulated the pictures through the family and took orders for reprints.
          We placed a big order for the reprints and this really cut down on the
          individual cost of the negatives. We could all have pictures and the cost was
          so reasonable. I still have the negatives, so family members for years to come
          can have pictures of their ancestors. I realize that the computer generated
          reprints will make this even easier in the future, my point is just, copy the
          pictures when they are all in one place and be sure to share.
          Best wishes. Nancy Sugarek
        • Kathy Horak Smith
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
            I'm hoping for this.  I have many confirmation pictures from when my grandfather was a Brethren Minister.  I'm hoping someone at the meeting will be able to help me.

            Kathy Horak Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
              I've been told many of the older generation attend these meetings, perhaps some of our "Unidentified" photos might be recognized.

              Peggy
            • Lois Petter Pereira
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
                Excellent idea. If people have old photos that they can xerox then they
                could put a little post it note on them explaining where they got the
                picture from and who or what they think it is a shot of. These can be
                put in a binder where people can look at them. We might have some paper
                they can write on too if they have an idea to share on the photo...lois

                --
                Lois Petter Pereira
              • kotrlarj@juno.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1, 2001
                  Peggy and Kathy:

                  I think you will find good luck in RR because I have a good feeling
                  that there will be folks there that can solve your mysteries.

                  Richard Jerome Kotrla II
                  Moderator

                  Researching: Kotrla, Kotrola, Kristof, Kristoff, Christoff, Kubena,
                  Kubeyana, Repka, Balcar, Dusek, Marek, Hunka, Motl, Jezek, Slovacek,
                  Jurin, Poncik, Klucasek, Mahac, Martinets, Martinek, Lichnovsky,
                  Schiller, Friemel, Minter, Atkinson, Melnar, Machalek, Srubar,
                  Woytipka, Surovik, Eubanks, Groce, Blaha.

                  --- In texasczechs@y..., "Kathy Horak Smith" <khsmith@o...> wrote:
                  > I'm hoping for this. I have many confirmation pictures from when my
                  grandfather was a Brethren Minister. I'm hoping someone at the
                  meeting will be able to help me.

                  > Kathy Horak Smith

                  Movies...

                  Service.
                • Rose
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 19, 2010
                    Bought some old photos in Wharton.....late 1800-early 1900s

                    Labeled on back

                    Marek- Man, women, and baby

                    Mr. and Mrs. Jan Safartoje

                    Young girl on porch labeled Josefek

                    If you think these might be of an ancestor drop me a note and I will send you a scan to see and then you can have them