OBIT: Johnny Spruiel Barak

  • Ray J. Bacak
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2007
      Johnny Spruiel Barak
      Johnny Spruiel Barak, passed away in the early morning hours of March 8th, at her home in Houston, Texas. She was born May 19, 1926, in Detroit, Alabama to the late Johnnie Spruiel and Jennie Smith Spruiel.

      Her loving husband of 40+ years, Joe W. Barak, preceded her in departing this world about 12 years ago and I'm sure has welcomed his bride with open and loving arms. Johnny and Joe worked side by side in their small grocery store, Clark Road Food Market, for over 30 years before retiring. Many young men in the neighborhood, as well as a few family members had an opportunity to work there. Johnny was well known in the store and in retirement as being one who loved to visit. Most of her visiting during retirement was done via the telephone. Many of us will miss the near daily phone calls we had from her. She had a full and happy life sharing her wisdom and advice with family and friends.

      She is survived by her sisters, Jane (Spruiel) Pickett her husband Clay and Geraldine (Spruiel) Smith. Her brother James Spruiel is deceased. There are many nieces, nephews, great-nieces, nephews and a few great, great nieces and nephews who will remember her with joy and happiness. Our family would also like to say a special thank you to Johnny's care-givers Sandra, Miriam and Nita.

      Visitation will be on Saturday March 17th, at Brookside Funeral Home. A Graveside service will be held Sunday, March 18th, 1:30 pm at Brookside Memorial Park. Those wishing to make a memorial contribution in lieu of flowers may consider Johnny's church, Airline Manor Baptist Church @ 610 E. Parker, Houston, TX. 77076.

      Published in the Houston Chronicle from 3/15/2007 - 3/16/2007.