Re: [TexasCzechs] Texas Independence Day

  • Rochelle Bubenik Kinter
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2007
      When I was in the 7th grade, we had an entire year of Texas History. It was my most favorite subjects and still is. Today, in Austin, I took my kids to the parade and it was a great learning experience. After that, we walked over to the Texas History Museum. On the way, we detoured through the capital. What a fun day!
      -Rochelle

      At 08:23 PM 3/3/2007, you wrote:

      Nan,
      Actually, the state of Texas requires four years of social studies in high school.  They are World Geography, World History, American History ( Part II, Part I was taken in middle school), as well as Government and Economics - 1/2 year each as seniors.  Students must pass the 11th grade/EXIT social studies TAKS test to receive a high school diploma - along with passing all of the other EXIT-level TAKS tests - English/Language Arts, Science and Math.  If you click on the link below,  you should be able to view released TAKS exams, and I think that you might be surprised at what these students must know to pass these tests  You can actually take the tests and the computer will give you your score.
       Good Luck!

      Madelyn
      http://www.tea.state.tx.us/student.assessment/resources/release/index.html